Download 2021

Bandit Tom

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

My genuine, honest gut feeling is that FFDP, Ghost and particularly Parkway Drive will all headline Download the next time they play. I think FFDP will be 2021 and by the time 2022/2023 rolls around and both Parkway and Ghost have new albums out for sure, it’ll be their time. Hold off on booking them until then if it means them being new headliners to add to the minimal group they already have. 

Imo all three of them will return as subs next time they play, and I think you’re way off with thinking Parkway are the most certain ones to be future headliners. Ghost seem like the best bet there easily. Don’t see Parkway ever taking that step up, they just don’t strike me as an act Download would ever have headline.

11 hours ago, Andre91 said:

There’s always lots of talk about bumping up headliners but I think they’re in just as dire need of bumping up new logo bands in general. How many times do we have to see Alter Bridge, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, KoRn and Slash sub? It’s bigger acts in general that Download seem hesitant to push up. When ADTR and Nightwish subbed it was refreshing (but wholly deserved). You’ve got a band like Sabaton who have sold Wembley incredibly well with a type of music that has never been cool or the most popular thing in the UK. They should give them a shot at subbing a headliner, god knows they’ve got the stage show for it. They would be perfect playing before Iron Maiden, for example. Architects are there too. Trivium have just released an album that is being widely and almost unanimously touted as their best ever and the buzz around them is the biggest it has been since they first burst onto the scene. Whilst they are 9 albums in now and are in no way a new band, they should be given a shot at subbing the next time they play because I can totally see them playing Wembley and other arenas the next time they come over here.

Bloodstock are excellent at promoting bands up to headline status, such as Sabaton, Amon Amarth, Ghost etc. They are all bands that could have easily headlined the second stage at Download the years they played. 

My genuine, honest gut feeling is that FFDP, Ghost and particularly Parkway Drive will all headline Download the next time they play. I think FFDP will be 2021 and by the time 2022/2023 rolls around and both Parkway and Ghost have new albums out for sure, it’ll be their time. Hold off on booking them until then if it means them being new headliners to add to the minimal group they already have. 

Isn't the idea of the same old ADTR coming back every other and just switching with Reading the previous year the same thing I suggested a while back was just too repetitive and got flamed for it?, but that's Download. 

I don't think Deftones have played that much and I think Amon Amarth is a stretch. Amon were playing a tiny festival in my home town a couple of years back and Trivium aren't subbing soon imo.

Bloodstock does it easily though because the size of the festival is where a lot of bands in the genre are at of a certain level who aren't decreasing but going nowhere fast. Reading doesn't book the headliner that it used to because bar a couple, indie options are few and far so took a chance on a new market which Download don't have the ability to do.

But the Download operation in general sucks, I've thought it for a long time but while the same big bands are around every few years to rotate it won't change as they get them while they can. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Metallica got to a point of seeing Download as a same old same older headliners, subs and 3rd downs playing the same day a few years previous and wanted to be apart of different events that than. 

Strangely enough though Download booked the best day for me in a long time being Sunday this tear and Friday appealed enough to grab a cheap day ticket.

I think it’ll be the same lineup now Rage are doing the same tour a year later. Can see SOAD rescheduling and same with Maiden and Kiss. I’ve never seen SOAD so I want them. It’s not a great three but I don’t see copping changing it. 

3 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I think it’ll be the same lineup now Rage are doing the same tour a year later. Can see SOAD rescheduling and same with Maiden and Kiss. I’ve never seen SOAD so I want them. It’s not a great three but I don’t see copping changing it. 

Agreed, I've only seen SOAD back in 2011 and it was a perfect time and day for me to return. With RATM, if it's identical then I see R&L next year and Download in 2022 along with the other June festivals. I could see him changing KISS if given the chance and then I remember it is Copping.

I don't see why the lineup would be so different for next year.  It's not like Download got cancelled for the first time in history because of low ticket sales, it is a problem beyond festival control. Saying that, i think that Download and other big festivals like Hellfest, RaR etc will stick to the same bands of 2020 for 2021.  The people who paid to see Kiss, SOAD, Maiden, Faith No More etc in 2020 will still want to see them in 2021.

Anyway, i hope we all get through this soon and make 2021 the best festival season EVER. Stay home, stay safe, take care of each other.

little prediction

Main: KISS / Alter Bridge / Volbeat / The Darkness / Airbourne / Bush / Theory

Zippo Encore: Deftones / The Distillers

Main: IRON MAIDEN / Parkway Drive / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / The Pretty Reckless / Powerwolf / Alestorm / Blues Pills / The Raven Age

Zippo Encore: Gojira / Mastodon

Main: FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH (don't know if SOAD will be touring) / Korn / Disturbed / Killswitch Engage / Of Mice & Men / Jinjer / Beartooth / Loathe

Zippo Encore: Judas Priest / Babymetal

5 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

I don't see why the lineup would be so different for next year.  It's not like Download got cancelled for the first time in history because of low ticket sales, it is a problem beyond festival control. Saying that, i think that Download and other big festivals like Hellfest, RaR etc will stick to the same bands of 2020 for 2021.  The people who paid to see Kiss, SOAD, Maiden, Faith No More etc in 2020 will still want to see them in 2021.

Anyway, i hope we all get through this soon and make 2021 the best festival season EVER. Stay home, stay safe, take care of each other.

Agreed, it is in every festival's best interest to book as much as they can for next year. By doing that also for the bigger acts they gain options to use for the following years and don't lose any.

Even if I love Parkway Drive, I still don't see them as headliners for Download Festival. Maybe in 3-4 years. But for now, Ghost and Five Finger Death Punch have more chance in the near future. Hopefully, Andy Copping will finally give their chance to Bring Me The Horizon too. In 2021, Parkway Drive won't play June festivals anyway.

About Iron Maiden, they said it was not possible to reschedule festivals but as the Download is one week earlier in 2021 and the band didn't announce any shows in UK today, I won't surprised if Download gets an exclusive festival show.

I'd see Kiss - System Of A Down - Avenged Sevenfold as headliners for 2021!

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Five Finger Death Punch, System Of A Down & KISS. 

I would guess that Deftones, KoRn, Gojira, Volbeat and Disturbed will remain logo bands. Hopefully Frank, too. 

Just in my opinion I think them 3 would go down pretty badly. I think if Maiden aren't there and Metallica don't play then they aren't bothered anymore. 

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Just in my opinion I think them 3 would go down pretty badly. I think if Maiden aren't there and Metallica don't play then they aren't bothered anymore. 

Download doesn’t revolve around Iron Maiden and Metallica. Metallica haven’t played for almost a decade. 

I think that trio would be just fine and received no different than this years headliners. People will be desperate to get back to Download next year and those 3 are all popular bands with the DL audience. 

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Download doesn’t revolve around Iron Maiden and Metallica. Metallica haven’t played for almost a decade. 

I think that trio would be just fine and received no different than this years headliners. People will be desperate to get back to Download next year and those 3 are all popular bands with the DL audience. 

It doesn't but you can't tell me Download don't book Maiden at every given chance they can for a new album.

2 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

People will go to Download next year no matter who headlines it.

I agree with this and think that if they didn't take a (risk) next year if Maiden can't make it with a bump on a year where people just want to go then it tells you everything about where the Download management heads are and they'll miss a trick hugely.

• 2 weeks later...

Five Finger Death Punch or Kiss

Nine Inch Nails

System of a Down

NIN according to Ken, who posts on the International festivals and gets things right are playing early/mid June and could be the reason the festival is moved to earlier to fit them in as All Points East is a bit before that and Download seems the only other festival they could play. New headliner and would be welcomed. FFDP also a new headliner, making it a bit fresher or Kiss due it being there last UK appearances, one them two I think on the Friday and I reckon due to SOAD being a rare act nowadays they will come back adding on to there tour.

We need this thread hotting up again, I doubt it will, it will be dead again soon, while it lasts aye?