Download 2021

Bandit Tom

Friday

MS: Queens Of The Stone Age, Royal Blood, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, Skindred, Clutch, Red Fang, Bokassa, Puppy Zippp: The Original Misfits, Dropkick Murphys Avalanche: New Found Glory, Violent Soho Dogtooth: Linderman, Ty Segall 

Saturday 

MS: Rage Against The Machine, Parkway Drive, Enter Shikari, Idles, Ghostemane, Crossfaith, Black Peaks, Blood Youth Zippo: King Diamond l, Saxon Avalanche: Frank Turner, Less Than Jake Dogtooth: Godflesh, Ho9909

Sunday

MS: My Chemical Romance, The Offspring, Don Broco, Jimmy Eat World, Neck Deep, Creeper, Yonaka, Dream State Zippo: Gojira, Mastodon Avalanche: Descendents, Black Flag Dogtooth: Carpenter Brut, Greg Puciato 

Edited by Alex Winstone

Somewhat struggled to get a mix of old and new, but I hope they can book more leftfield acts in the future.

Friday

Main: Iron Maiden, Architects, Gojira, Idles

Zippo Encore: All Time Low, The Distillers, Slaves, The Hives, The Amazons

Avalanche: The Chats, Scarlxrd, Waterparks

Dogtooth: I Prevail

Saturday

Main: Bring Me the Horizon, Parkway Drive, Don Broco, Jimmy Eat World

Zippo: Judas Priest, Behemoth, King Gizzard and the Lizzard Wizzard, Of Mice and Men, Loathe

Avalanche: Bowing for Soup, American Football, 100 Gecs

Dogtooth: Deafhaven

Sunday

Main: Rage Against the Machine, Megadeth, Limp Bizkit, Enter Shikari

Zippo Encore: Sabaton, At the Drive in,  AFI, Crossfaith, Boston Manor

Avalanche: Black MIDI, Yonaka, The Xcerts

Dogtooth: Daughters

Edited by TKOCF

Foo Fighters have rescheduled their Berlin date to the 8th June 2021, and their French dates to the 14th and 15th June 2021. Surely an absolute no brainer for Download to get them? Would be an unbelievable booking, especially considering Foo Fighters are celebrating 25 years.

Edited by Pottsy2913

5 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Foo Fighters have rescheduled their Berlin date to the 8th June 2021, and their French dates to the 14th and 15th June 2021. Surely an absolute no brainer for Download to get them? Would be an unbelievable booking, especially considering Foo Fighters are celebrating 25 years.

I don't see it happening. Also it wouldn't be an unbelievable booking, they have already done Glastonbury and Reading recently.

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see it happening. Also it wouldn't be an unbelievable booking, they have already done Glastonbury and Reading recently.

Unbelievable as in for Download Festival, considering they’ve never done it before. I think people would welcome that over SOAD for the umpteenth time.

11 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Unbelievable as in for Download Festival, considering they’ve never done it before. I think people would welcome that over SOAD for the umpteenth time.

Probably but FF were in Europe this year ideal to play.

9 minutes ago, sebastian pacheco said:

Bands that are available for next year:

Metallica - It’s time that they perform at Download again. And James Hetfield returns to the stage, then it would make it much more ideal. 

RATM - Would be the favorite headliners for many festivals next year

Foo Fighters - Have dates in Europe by that time and never headline Download before

BMTH - New album coming and it seems to be heavy enough for Download. 

Biffy Clyro ( I don’t think they will headline Download again, but who knows) 

MCR - For me, it is almost confirmed that they won’t be at Download next year due to their rescheduling of dates for next year. But again, who knows?

If you think of another band, feel free to share it in the comments 

I think they will still want Maiden but were it not possible I think they would go for Metallica, SOAD and RATM. I don't seeca chance they don't book Rage.

8 hours ago, Dukey said:

If they got something like:

Metallica 

Foo's

Rage

That would be outstanding.... the odds are slim 

Will probs be:

Maiden

SOAD

Rage

Yeah I don't see Maiden being dropped at all as he'll want them to the end. SOAD he will also get while available and around and if he doesn't get Metallica I'd wonder if that is going to happen again. In fact it's not beyond the realms that Reading got them again.

Download haven’t ever managed to get Foo Fighters despite trying many times. I don’t think they have any interest in playing the festival so I don’t think they will suddenly do it in 2021. 

Iron Maiden have a new album on the way so I would 100% expect them to headline next year. They seem the most likely to return to me. 

KISS putting their final tour back a year seems plausible too so I would expect them back.

SOAD are lazy hacks who have zero interest in making new music or playing live for anything other than the money so they can tour when they like. I wouldn’t expect them back next year. John Dolmayan has recently made some damning comments on the band, the first time that anyone in the camp has actually said that they will never make an album again, I believe. If the guy who has always been pushing for it is now admitting defeat, it doesn’t look good. 

Ivan Moody reportedly said something very, very alias to ‘Next time you see us over here, it’ll be headlining Download Festival’ (I can’t recall the precise wording without searching for it) at the end of their last Wembley show. That could mean a couple of different things but I think that they are already signed up to headline in 2021. It’s the right time for them. They are ready to do it and will pull a monster crowd. Plus it’s a new headliner the festival desperately needs. 

I guess RATM is a possibility but if they’re putting their entire touring plans back a year, I can see them sticking with R&L in 2021. 

There’s been lots of buzz about AC/DC making an album and live return with Brian Johnson. Lots of Euro festivals around Download’s time have moved dates. Maybe that’s to accommodate something big (it doesn’t get any bigger than AC/DC) or maybe it’s to do with other events already being booked in 2021 that’s prompted a date change. Download bent over backwards to accommodate them last time and Copping has gone on record more than once to say that he would do it all again to get them to play Download once more. For what it’s worth, I don’t think they’d need their own stage this time or be absent from merch etc. 

Metallica could be either or but I’d plump for them doing their own shows again if they’re about. 

So I think we are looking at Five Finger Death Punch, Iron Maiden & KISS (or AC/DC but that’s hugely wishful thinking). 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Download haven’t ever managed to get Foo Fighters despite trying many times. I don’t think they have any interest in playing the festival so I don’t think they will suddenly do it in 2021. 

I dunno, they evaded headlining Glastonbury for a long time and and then it finally happened. I'm not really sure what the exact reasons are for them and Download never working out, and maybe it is them explicitly not wanting to do it, but I wouldn't count them totally out. Played both Reading/Leeds and Glastonbury recently, as well as a shit ton of their own huge shows - could see them doing Download in the next five years or so, just as something different.

SOAD are lazy hacks who have zero interest in making new music or playing live for anything other than the money so they can tour when they like. I wouldn’t expect them back next year. John Dolmayan has recently made some damning comments on the band, the first time that anyone in the camp has actually said that they will never make an album again, I believe. If the guy who has always been pushing for it is now admitting defeat, it doesn’t look good. 

I can't believe it's been nine years since they played their first reformation shows and they're still playing essentially the same setlist to this day. It'a a shame that they couldn't make new material work, but it should've been an indicator a few years ago that they needed to bow out again. It's gone from me seeing their name announced for a festival and thinking 'holy shit, new material maybe?' to just 'fucking hell, skint again are they?'

Ivan Moody reportedly said something very, very alias to ‘Next time you see us over here, it’ll be headlining Download Festival’ (I can’t recall the precise wording without searching for it) at the end of their last Wembley show. That could mean a couple of different things but I think that they are already signed up to headline in 2021. It’s the right time for them. They are ready to do it and will pull a monster crowd. Plus it’s a new headliner the festival desperately needs. 

I wouldn't read what he said as anything other than wishful boasting. I'm not quite as clued in to the metal scene as I once was, but they're surely a sub at best?

@FloorFiller FFDP have done Wembley twice and some other arenas in this country. If now isn’t their time, it never will be for any band trying to move up. The example here is Alter Bridge who should have headlined by now but were scheduled to sub yet again this year. That’s a future headliner they’ve missed out on giving the push to at least twice now. 

This isn’t aimed at you specifically at all so please don’t think it is but the list of hoops a band has to jump through in the eyes of a lot of Download attendees is mad. I’ve genuinely heard people say that a band needs to sub ‘X’ amount of times before they can headline. That viewpoint is bollocks and it’s what’s going to see Download fall in the shit when they’ve run out of old headliners with nobody they’re prepared to take a punt on. Death Punch have done enough to justify the jump up (I don’t even like them all that much at all so I’m not coming at this with any bias). 

On the same topic, I watched Parkay Drive’s Viva The Underdogs documentary film last night and they are ready to headline the next time they play. They absolutely are. They’ve got the songs to do it now and their production is approaching Rammstein levels of impressive. Seeing the footage of them headlining rock and metal festivals all over Europe is evidence enough. Copping is even on the documentary talking them up as the next band to jump up to headline. 

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

@FloorFiller FFDP have done Wembley twice and some other arenas in this country. If now isn’t their time, it never will be for any band trying to move up. The example here is Alter Bridge who should have headlined by now but were scheduled to sub yet again this year. That’s a future headliner they’ve missed out on giving the push to at least twice now. 

This isn’t aimed at you specifically at all so please don’t think it is but the list of hoops a band has to jump through in the eyes of a lot of Download attendees is mad and it’s what’s going to see Download fall in the shit when they’ve run out of old headliners with nobody they’re prepared to take a punt on. Death Punch have done enough to justify the jump up (I don’t even like them all that much at all so I’m not coming at this with any bias). 

Oh yeah I should've made it clear - a lot of the reason they don't seem like a headliner in my eyes is because of Download's sheer unwillingness to give acts like them the bump up and have what some may consider a 'small headliner' as they'd rather just stick with three tried and tested options.

Looking at past headliners, SOAD can't have long left in them at this rate. Ozzy's done, as are Sabbath. Kiss almost gone. Aerosmith did their last UK show at Download (despite apparently being lined up for Glastonbury this year...) Linkin Park are gone. Soon it's just gonna be an every other year rotation of Slipknot, Maiden, Def Leppard (until they pack it in), Rammstein, Avenged Sevenfold and Metallica (whenever they decide to return). So yeah, I hope you're right that Download finally start giving some deserved bump ups, but until now they've gone out of their way to do the opposite. 

Alter Bridge below Maiden is just plain uninspired at this point. Should have headlined and they bottled it.

The sub "x" amount of times argument is genuinely nonsense when bands like AB and Korn have subbed it like 4 times each already. 

Parkway and FFDP should absolutely headline when they next play. I'd have made the same case for ADTR before their new stuff started coming out but I'd say that ship has sailed. A top two of them and Parkway headlining would be pretty damn good in my opinion though.

5 hours ago, Jericode said:

Alter Bridge below Maiden is just plain uninspired at this point. Should have headlined and they bottled it.

The sub "x" amount of times argument is genuinely nonsense when bands like AB and Korn have subbed it like 4 times each already. 

Parkway and FFDP should absolutely headline when they next play. I'd have made the same case for ADTR before their new stuff started coming out but I'd say that ship has sailed. A top two of them and Parkway headlining would be pretty damn good in my opinion though.

They need to have a year when they just give others a chance even if there is a bigger band available. It's not as if Reading book a lineup now that will affect the festival or there is another festival around. I think they still cling on to while they saw of Sonisphere, booking the big boys when they are free and still around continues to see of any competition.

I'm certain Parkway won't headline this. It'll be the same as how people (myself included) thought last year would be the year for ADTR, how every year might be the year for BMTH etc etc. I like the optimism but it just isn't the way that Download do business.

I imagine that bands will be bumped up by default when there isn't 3 established options available. 

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'm certain Parkway won't headline this. It'll be the same as how people (myself included) thought last year would be the year for ADTR, how every year might be the year for BMTH etc etc. I like the optimism but it just isn't the way that Download do business.

I imagine that bands will be bumped up by default when there isn't 3 established options available. 

Yeah I don’t see them giving (m)any acts the bump up until their hand is essentially forced. The festival still sells well every year with these same old repeat headliners, and choosing ADTR/FFDP/Parkway/whoever one year when Slipknot were available and willing probably isn’t worth the hassle. 

There’s always lots of talk about bumping up headliners but I think they’re in just as dire need of bumping up new logo bands in general. How many times do we have to see Alter Bridge, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, KoRn and Slash sub? It’s bigger acts in general that Download seem hesitant to push up. When ADTR and Nightwish subbed it was refreshing (but wholly deserved). You’ve got a band like Sabaton who have sold Wembley incredibly well with a type of music that has never been cool or the most popular thing in the UK. They should give them a shot at subbing a headliner, god knows they’ve got the stage show for it. They would be perfect playing before Iron Maiden, for example. Architects are there too. Trivium have just released an album that is being widely and almost unanimously touted as their best ever and the buzz around them is the biggest it has been since they first burst onto the scene. Whilst they are 9 albums in now and are in no way a new band, they should be given a shot at subbing the next time they play because I can totally see them playing Wembley and other arenas the next time they come over here.

Bloodstock are excellent at promoting bands up to headline status, such as Sabaton, Amon Amarth, Ghost etc. They are all bands that could have easily headlined the second stage at Download the years they played. 

My genuine, honest gut feeling is that FFDP, Ghost and particularly Parkway Drive will all headline Download the next time they play. I think FFDP will be 2021 and by the time 2022/2023 rolls around and both Parkway and Ghost have new albums out for sure, it’ll be their time. Hold off on booking them until then if it means them being new headliners to add to the minimal group they already have. 

Edited by Andre91