Stupid but not stupid Questions ... glastonbury 2020

Crazyfool01

23 hours ago, gfa said:

Yeah - we struggled to get just our stuff together and everything was soaked through there was no way we were taking our £20 tents back when it costed £60 for the baggage upgrade when they were soaking wet ?

At least Sziget knows people will be leaving tents behind. They have tent recycling points everywhere on the island. It’s to be expected when the vast majority of people going to the festival are flying in rather than driving. Although there was no way I was leaving my fresh and black behind. It’s just too good when it’s sunny. 

Is this article correct with their numbers?

https://www.farandwide.com/s/biggest-music-festivals-ca71f3346443426e

Most after Glastonbury are non-camping & last over a week & are day ticket fests.

I know for a fact Sziget is not bigger than Glastonbury but brings in a lot of day tickets yet there are less bands/acts on over a week.

Edited by Bisque

2 hours ago, Bisque said:

Is this article correct with their numbers?

No. It's massively misleading at best. Just skimming through it, there's little context, some obvious errors and some bizarre choices (for example putting Green Man "in a biggest festivals list", but not Reading/Leeds/Download/IOW which are each at least 3 times the size..)

Most notably as you've noted, certain festivals like Sziget count the attendance for each day and then add those up to get to an overall total - so they've actually got a 90,000 capacity site but usually end up announcing 500-600k odd - meaning most people going are being counted multiple times. For Primavera Sound they've gone one step further and not only counted each daily attendance but also collated the numbers for 2 separate festivals in different countries..

Besides all that, the number they have for Glastonbury is about 10% lower than actually attended this year.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:23 PM, Bryanrebe said:

If I don't get a tent at WV I'll have to buy a one-off tent. What is the best way to donate it at the end of the festival?

We have a tent in NZ so don't really need to bring it back, but don't want to travel around Europe with our one for six weeks!

On 11/10/2019 at 1:14 AM, squirrelarmy said:

Out of the box suggestion but you might be able to find someone on here with a spare tent they’re willing to bring for you. 

We’re all big fans of leave no trace. I’d offer to lend you a tent if I had a spare one and wasn’t already struggling with my light load.  

I have a spare tent but you’d have to collect before the festival as I’m going on the coach. I can take it back with me as all my booze will have gone.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Hey guys - thank you for answering all of these!

Is there anywhere you'd recommend to camp which is within close(ish) proximity to both the Other/Pyramid stages? 

You'll have to choose one or the other really. 

How close you are from one to the other depends on ground conditions and how busy it is.

For Other Stage, probably Oxlyers and for Pyramid I'd recommend Michaels Mead.  Obv, these areas get busy.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mttJ said:

Hey guys - thank you for answering all of these!

Is there anywhere you'd recommend to camp which is within close(ish) proximity to both the Other/Pyramid stages? 

As above or at the top of lower mead which is 10 mins ish walk to either stage .. the top because the bottom has become a bit damp over some of the wetter years 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, incident said:

No. It's massively misleading at best. Just skimming through it, there's little context, some obvious errors and some bizarre choices (for example putting Green Man "in a biggest festivals list", but not Reading/Leeds/Download/IOW which are each at least 3 times the size..)

Most notably as you've noted, certain festivals like Sziget count the attendance for each day and then add those up to get to an overall total - so they've actually got a 90,000 capacity site but usually end up announcing 500-600k odd - meaning most people going are being counted multiple times. For Primavera Sound they've gone one step further and not only counted each daily attendance but also collated the numbers for 2 separate festivals in different countries..

Besides all that, the number they have for Glastonbury is about 10% lower than actually attended this year.

Excellent analysis.

I’m pretty up to date on U.K. fests having been to student ones, Wilderness, Soni, Reading & Leeds all the way to Glasto. Sziget was my first euro fest (brilliant) but I walked around the whole island within an hour after getting in on the Ed Sheeran day.

No idea about those U.S. ones but I know from friends that the Canadian ones are on the smaller side due to logistics but amazing surroundings (like Rockness but Sasquatch)

21 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

was it really better in the good old days?

well it was a lot easier - red dot was where we drove in and blue dot was where we parked and camped beside - impossible to do that now.

no mobile phones and as there was about 12,000 tickets sold it was not exactly packed.

sure some people may prefer the greater choice there is now but it was nice to see how it expanded in the 80's  and all the other years. - there is still some areas I have not been in.

e3n.thumb.jpg.afb25a22cff5d5ba9e3a1cc553f2e227.jpg

7 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

How come the farm is just randomly open to anyone throughout the year to just wander around? Seems weird to me you can just wander around a working farm with the cows without issue.

it’s not. There’s public rights of way through it, but it’s not open access land. I think the Eavises are happy for people to have a little look round as long as people are respectful and don’t knacker up the running of the farm. I live near a couple of farms and do a lot of hillwalking etc round them, dairy farms are pretty chill places even at the size of Worthy Farm. Cows are funny buggers though: 99% benign chewing sofas, 1% freak out half tonners who run you out of the field ??

Leading on from the above: so how does the festival ensure the fields are reasonably safe in time for the festival? Do they actually remove the cow pats or simply allow sufficient time for them to disintegrate?  What about potential cow borne diseases, parasitic insects, etc that may be on the land? 

25 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Leading on from the above: so how does the festival ensure the fields are reasonably safe in time for the festival? Do they actually remove the cow pats or simply allow sufficient time for them to disintegrate?  What about potential cow borne diseases, parasitic insects, etc that may be on the land? 

they're required to move the cows off the land a specific period of time before the gates open. I think it's 2 or 3 months before.