Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

36 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

So my Uncle died today and I'm having a few beverages to cope with the shock/it's what he would have wanted.

He gave me the most music memory I have from my childhood. Basically, him and his mate would babysit me but take me out driving then hotbox their car. While doing this, they would put me on the roof and blast my favourite song, "what's up?" by 4 non blondes.

Anyway, to cheer me up could you tell me a song you remember from your childhood? The story behind would be cool too :)

Sorry for your loss, especially this time of the year, although it's never a good time. My dad would belt out tunes by Luke Kelly in the house after the cans of Guinness, perfect for when you're fully locked and full of drink. Stay strong

• Upvote 1

@Bryanrebe sorry for your loss but glad you have good memories of him that you can recall. One of the earliest songs I remember my mum playing back in the 70's was Gerry Rafferty Baker Street. It was released the year after my dad had died which brought about mixed feelings as they had split a year before. I was too young to realise all that happened but this song sort of was a release of the bad things and into the good.    

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that.  Sadly I’m at the age where I’ve been to funerals of my parents, all my aunts and uncles, and a lot of cousins. One thing that’s nice nowadays is the playing of the favourite music of the deceased at the funeral. So different from the past where it was all too solemn rather than a celebration of the life gone.

sadly I also had to attend the funeral of my nephew, a fine young man in his late twenties. A  member of the armed  forces. The atmosphere of a Scottish Presbyterian church and the old minister were  shaken by the sound of Iron Maidens, TheTrooper. Made me smile. 

Howdy, the thread title just called to me, sorry for your loss Bryanrebe, but that's a great story. 

Reminded me of when I visited 2 of my brother's in Brighton when I was 16, I'm from a place called Limerick in Ireland, wouldn't be the most cosmopolitan place, anyway, we went to visit a load of lads from Limerick, flat was like a smokehouse all night and the talk turned to Glasto, and how 12 of them went down in a hi-ace van with just slabs of cider and a ball of gear.

It was a dream of mine to get there since then, and it's finally happening this year. 

TLDR 

Lads off their head, talked about being off their head in Glasto and a dream was born. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Poorside said:

Howdy, the thread title just called to me, sorry for your loss Bryanrebe, but that's a great story. 

Reminded me of when I visited 2 of my brother's in Brighton when I was 16, I'm from a place called Limerick in Ireland, wouldn't be the most cosmopolitan place, anyway, we went to visit a load of lads from Limerick, flat was like a smokehouse all night and the talk turned to Glasto, and how 12 of them went down in a hi-ace van with just slabs of cider and a ball of gear.

It was a dream of mine to get there since then, and it's finally happening this year. 

TLDR 

Lads off their head, talked about being off their head in Glasto and a dream was born. 

Welcome to the forum Poorside, and congrats on getting a golden ticket!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Poorside said:

Thanks, seems it was written in the stars for me, got a campervan ticket very handy  as well and Macca is my idol, just need Pearl jam and Bruce Springsteen now to have me as Mr. Smug of smugtown. 

Unfortunately Pearl Jam tour dates are looking like they won't be there, my fingers are crossed for a New Zealand/Australia tour.

11 hours ago, Poorside said:

Thanks, seems it was written in the stars for me, got a campervan ticket very handy  as well and Macca is my idol, just need Pearl jam and Bruce Springsteen now to have me as Mr. Smug of smugtown. 

Don’t reckon PJ or the boss will be there but I reckon you have already become MrSmug of Smugtown having already got ticket, campervan and Macca playing!  

Welcome to the forum, by next June you will have the equivalent of a joint honours degree in meteorology and geology as we obsess over the weather and ground conditions! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 8:29 AM, Bryanrebe said:

So my Uncle died today and I'm having a few beverages to cope with the shock/it's what he would have wanted.

He gave me the most music memory I have from my childhood. Basically, him and his mate would babysit me but take me out driving then hotbox their car. While doing this, they would put me on the roof and blast my favourite song, "what's up?" by 4 non blondes.

Anyway, to cheer me up cou

I'm sorry for your loss. It looks like I'm going to lose my dad soon. It's all very complicated with him because we're both in a Mexican stand off with each other. So, he may die without us making up. That could destroy me. Not sure.

Anyway, here's my song from my youth (a long time ago now);

I like / love the song because it reminds me of my youth in the 1970's. I know that you are too young to have experienced it. Maybe it was because I was young and was protected from politics etc, but it seemed like a free spirited time. I was happy and care free then. I still am,  but that could all change in a moment.

PS - This is a great thread, so thanks for starting it.

PPS - I started on the G & T's at 9am this morning. I've taken a few drugs too. So, today's going to be quite nice.

PPPS - We've got a general election tomorrow. The result might crush my happiness with life. Time will tell.

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Don’t reckon PJ or the boss will be there but I reckon you have already become MrSmug of Smugtown having already got ticket, campervan and Macca playing!  

Welcome to the forum, by next June you will have the equivalent of a joint honours degree in meteorology and geology as we obsess over the weather and ground conditions! 

Cheers, I'm well used to studying the weather and obsessing over the firmness of groundt have be going to Electric Picnic for years and that's on in September in Ireland, anything can be thrown at us weather wise. 

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm sorry for your loss. It looks like I'm going to lose my dad soon. It's all very complicated with him because we're both in a Mexican stand off with each other. So, he may die without us making up. That could destroy me. Not sure.

I like / love the song because it reminds me of my youth in the 1970's. I know that you are too young to have experienced it. Maybe it was because I was young and was protected from politics etc, but it seemed like a free spirited time. I was happy and care free then. I still am,  but that could all change in a moment.

PPS - I started on the G & T's at 9am this morning. I've taken a few drugs too. So, today's going to be quite nice.

PPPS - We've got a general election tomorrow. The result might crush my happiness with life. Time will tell.

Seriously,  have a chat with dad

and less seriously

There’s got to be a way

there must be a way

to burst Boris! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I haven't spoken to mine in 14 years (almost half my life). We'll be seeing each other at the funeral on Monday, but at family events we just ignore one another. He made some bad life choices and I haven't forgiven him for those yet.

I'm not qualified to give an opinion, but if you're thinking him dying without you making up could destroy you, you should probably have a chat to him.

On a cheerier note, I'll be watching the elections when they're playing here. We get the results during the day here which is always fun to watch. I used to work in our Parliament and I love a good general election! Don't forget to vote UK people!

11 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I haven't spoken to mine in 14 years (almost half my life). We'll be seeing each other at the funeral on Monday, but at family events we just ignore one another. He made some bad life choices and I haven't forgiven him for those yet.

I'm not qualified to give an opinion, but if you're thinking him dying without you making up could destroy you, you should probably have a chat to him.

On a cheerier note, I'll be watching the elections when they're playing here. We get the results during the day here which is always fun to watch. I used to work in our Parliament and I love a good general election! Don't forget to vote UK people!

Sorry to hear about you and your dad's relationship. And thanks for the advice with me and my own dad, it's appreciated.

So, it's election day here. We're going to have an election type party here at this end, so the drink will be taken, which , means that I may post a drunken type post on here later. Forgive me now, if I do!  lol

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sorry to hear about you and your dad's relationship. And thanks for the advice with me and my own dad, it's appreciated.

So, it's election day here. We're going to have an election type party here at this end, so the drink will be taken, which , means that I may post a drunken type post on here later. Forgive me now, if I do!  lol

That's what this thread is for!

We had an election day party when Trump became President. I was not coherent by the time he made his victory speech. Let's just say I'm glad this thread didn't exist then, my language would have been vulgar..

45 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

That's what this thread is for!

We had an election day party when Trump became President. I was not coherent by the time he made his victory speech. Let's just say I'm glad this thread didn't exist then, my language would have been vulgar..

I know what you are saying. Trump is the USA's retard, and Boris Johnson is ours. It'll be right shitty for most people if he gets in. The bloke is the very definition of a buffoon. Add to that that he's a prolific liar, then you'll see where my position lies. If our NHS is forced in to private hands then I will go ballistic, as will others, I'm sure. 

Ive had to cancel my only xmas night out,  im gutted :(  to add to the misery the last couple of days have provided .... had a few stomach issues that I just cant risk on a night out :( .... anyway as you were ... anyone getting drunk tonight please have an extra one on my behalf and enjoy x 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ive had to cancel my only xmas night out,  im gutted :(  to add to the misery the last couple of days have provided .... had a few stomach issues that I just cant risk on a night out :( .... anyway as you were ... anyone getting drunk tonight please have an extra one on my behalf and enjoy x 

Sorry to hear of your woes crazyfool1. I'm not really in a mega drinking mood tonight, but my neighbour has just given me a bit of smoke, which I'm going to consume in a while. I'll dedicate that to you, instead of the extra drink. :)

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sorry to hear of your woes crazyfool1. I'm not really in a mega drinking mood tonight, but my neighbour has just given me a bit of smoke, which I'm going to consume in a while. I'll dedicate that to you, instead of the extra drink. :)

:) excellent ... by the fact the forum is quiet ( as is usual at the weekend I’m hoping people are enjoying some festive drinks and for that matter smokes ) enjoy 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

:) excellent ... by the fact the forum is quiet ( as is usual at the weekend I’m hoping people are enjoying some festive drinks and for that matter smokes ) enjoy 

It has not been easy to get back to this page, - such is the quality of the smoke. 

I should imagine it's bloody carnage out there at the pubs and bars tonight. Too old for that sort of thing now, at this end. I still over indulge, but couldn't deal with the hussle and bussle of being in a bar, let alone a busy one with no seating - that has, actually, always been my idea of hell.

I've got a mate and his girlfriend staying long term at my house now, since he broke a part of his anatomy. Anyway, they are living in the bedroom above mine. The thing is, you see, and this is hard to deal with, but I think that I've just heard my mate 'come'. That's just not right, at all, by anybody's standards. FFS, what's the loud c**t on? What did he go and do that for? I mean, I could actually tell in my own minds eye, that it must have been a real toe pointer. This is a Samaritan's job, this is.

19 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It has not been easy to get back to this page, - such is the quality of the smoke. 

I should imagine it's bloody carnage out there at the pubs and bars tonight. Too old for that sort of thing now, at this end. I still over indulge, but couldn't deal with the hussle and bussle of being in a bar, let alone a busy one with no seating - that has, actually, always been my idea of hell.

I've got a mate and his girlfriend staying long term at my house now, since he broke a part of his anatomy. Anyway, they are living in the bedroom above mine. The thing is, you see, and this is hard to deal with, but I think that I've just heard my mate 'come'. That's just not right, at all, by anybody's standards. FFS, what's the loud c**t on? What did he go and do that for? I mean, I could actually tell in my own minds eye, that it must have been a real toe pointer. This is a Samaritan's job, this is.

Well one part of his anatomy’s not broken at least :) ... 

• Upvote 1

The monkey has been opened. My mate just text with a spare ticket for Stanton warriors on Friday. Fucking Christmas has started. Stick the politics up Boris's ass and party. Peace and goodwill to all you lovely peoples ?

8.06 I caved in. 

Edited by mashedonmud
8.06 means 18.06. Shit my pants I can't tell the time.