Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Maybe Saint Patrick also went to New Zealand on his travels, and rid the place of snakes like he did Ireland. Then again there are heathens out there who believe it was the ice age that enabled Ireland to be free of snakes. 

We don't have any indigenous stories about the lack of snakes that I recall. We do have one about Hinemoa the bird lady and a LOT about fish and taniwha (mythical water creatures).

2 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

We don't have any indigenous stories about the lack of snakes that I recall. We do have one about Hinemoa the bird lady and a LOT about fish and taniwha (mythical water creatures).

I was tempted to eat snake meat on a trip to Vietnam. That was until I read that they can contain parasites that can withstand the heat of being cooked. 

Not sure why I wrote that now as it has no relevance. However, it 'popped' into my head and sometimes that's all it takes for me to start typing.

As an aside, all I've ever really heard about New Zealand is that it is incredibly scenic. The most scenic place that I have ever been has got to be the west coast of Scotland. It's truly mind blowing - and I've been to a fair few places and seen a fair few things. 

34 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

2 of em having a little scuffle is a sight to b hold mind 😀

I went snorkelling off Lundy Island once with a crowd of mates. All of a sudden, and one by one, we all felt little gentle tugs on our fins (flippers, to those in the know). We looked down and then could see an array of seals, essentially playing with us by nibbling our fins. Then not so long after, the 'Daddy' seal came along and it would appear was not so enamoured with his harem showing affection to others. The net result was that we had to get out of the water, sharpish.

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Maybe Saint Patrick also went to New Zealand on his travels, and rid the place of snakes like he did Ireland. Then again there are heathens out there who believe it was the ice age that enabled Ireland to be free of snakes. 

Not only did St Patrick get rid of all of the snakes. He also got rid of any evidence that they had ever existed there in the first place.

13 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

I love Maori mythology and the way it personifies the land. 

The one about a tribe capturing Mt Taranaki and tying it in place and the battle of the mountains that Tongariro won are great aetiological stories to explain the topography of the country. 

The story of the star crossed lovers Hinemoa and Tutenekai and how Hinemoa swam across lake Rotorua at night guided by the sound of Tutenakai’s flute is my favourite. 

I lived in Christchurch in 2011 (earthquake central) and the following year I flew out to Argentina to join the rugby club I played for in ChCh on tour. Getting to do Ka Mate before games is one of my life highlights. That’s me in 15, and in an advert for the tournament in a Bahia newspaper. 

B94F8852-7E52-4722-BD11-C6D993A5D33F.jpeg

B9E420C9-D4D8-48C7-8E6E-F030A465F9FD.jpeg

Edited by blutarsky
Added photos

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

The one about a tribe capturing Mt Taranaki and tying it in place and the battle of the mountains that Tongariro won are great aetiological stories to explain the topography of the country. 

The story of the star crossed lovers Hinemoa and Tutenekai and how Hinemoa swam across lake Rotorua at night guided by the sound of Tutenakai’s flute is my favourite. 

I lived in Christchurch in 2011 (earthquake central) and the following year I flew out to Argentina to join the rugby club I played for in ChCh on tour. Getting to do Ka Mate before games is one of my life highlights. That’s me in 15, and in an advert for the tournament in a Bahia newspaper. 

I used to hate having to play rugby at school (it was one of those schools that didn't 'do' soccer). So much so that nearly every time that I was instructed to play rugby, I just joined the swimming queue (the school had it's own pool) instead and went swimming. I was never caught doing this, although there was a few times I bottled it and went to play rugby. 

Anyway, to cut a long story shorter, many years later my brothers Old Boys rugby team were so desperate for a player that my brother asked me / pleaded with me to play for their team so that they had a full team. Looking back on it now, my brother must have assumed that I actually knew the rules of rugby, having gone to a rugby playing school. How wrong he was. There came a point during the first half of the game when the 'bastard' rugby ball just came straight at me. I really had no choice other than to catch the thing. Then I saw a line of massive opposing players running directly towards me. I knew what would happen if I held the ball, so just kicked it forward and stood there. It was then that I saw angry faces shouting at me. However, this was from members of my own team. Eventually their words 'Run, Run. Run you fucking twat' filtered into my brain in a floaty kind of manner. I realised that they couldn't go forward until I went forward being the kicker. Well, that's my interpretation of events. Does that make sense in a rugby kind of way vis-à-vis its rules. 

I also remember one bloke running around the pitch thumping the air with glee. He'd just won a stack on Red Rum having won the Grand National.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I'm more of a cricket gal.

My favourite story was always Maui and the sun. Basically the sun was a shit and kept racing through the sky super fast so he tied ropes to it to slow it down to how it is today. The sun rays you can see are the ropes.

23 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I used to hate having to play rugby at school (it was one of those schools that didn't 'do' soccer). So much so that nearly every time that I was instructed to play rugby, I just joined the swimming queue (the school had it's own pool) instead and went swimming. I was never caught doing this, although there was a few times I bottled it and went to play rugby. 

Anyway, to cut a long story shorter, many years later my brothers Old Boys rugby team were so desperate for a player that my brother asked me / pleaded with me to play for their team so that they had a full team. Looking back on it now, my brother must have assumed that I actually knew the rules of rugby, having gone to a rugby playing school. How wrong he was. There came a point during the first half of the game when the 'bastard' rugby ball just came straight at me. I really had no choice other than to catch the thing. Then I saw a line of massive opposing players running directly towards me. I knew what would happen if I held the ball, so just kicked it forward and stood there. It was then that I saw angry faces shouting at me. However, this was from members of my own team. Eventually their words 'Run, Run. Run you fucking twat' filtered into my brain in a floaty kind of manner. I realised that they couldn't go forward until I went forward being the kicker. Well, that's my interpretation of events. Does that make sense in a rugby kind of way vis-à-vis its rules. 

I also remember one bloke running around the pitch thumping the air with glee. He'd just won a stack on Red Rum having won the Grand National.

I grew up in a suburb that's pretty well known for producing All Blacks (Jonah Lomu, Tana Umanga etc) but I always avoided playing. I couldn't tell you the rules, other than what constitutes a try and that you can't tackle someone from the neck up 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Bryanrebe said:

My favourite story was always Maui and the sun. Basically the sun was a shit and kept racing through the sky super fast so he tied ropes to it to slow it down to how it is today. The sun rays you can see are the ropes.

I like that story. I'm doing a bit of artwork at the moment that has caused / enabled me to dip my toe into the waters of Irish mythology. I now have the information that I originally required, but now also have a feeling that I should delve deeper into this area. Not what I'd originally intended. 

1 hour ago, Bryanrebe said:

I grew up in a suburb that's pretty well known for producing All Blacks (Jonah Lomu, Tana Umanga etc) but I always avoided playing. I couldn't tell you the rules, other than what constitutes a try and that you can't tackle someone from the neck up 🤷‍♀️

I don't follow sport at all. That said, I have heard of Jonah Lomu. Or at least my mind is currently telling me that I have.

14 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I went snorkelling off Lundy Island once with a crowd of mates. All of a sudden, and one by one, we all felt little gentle tugs on our fins (flippers, to those in the know). We looked down and then could see an array of seals, essentially playing with us by nibbling our fins. Then not so long after, the 'Daddy' seal came along and it would appear was not so enamoured with his harem showing affection to others. The net result was that we had to get out of the water, sharpish.

well you're never going to survive, unless you get a little crazy...

21 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Not only did St Patrick get rid of all of the snakes. He also got rid of any evidence that they had ever existed there in the first place.

What did St Patrick say when he drove the snakes out of Ireland?

"Are you all ok in the back there?"

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

What did St Patrick say when he drove the snakes out of Ireland?

"Are you all ok in the back there?"

That's fab.

It also gave me a flashback to a time when I was very young and being taken over to Ireland by my aunty and uncle with their kids via the ferry. Anyway, I was sitting in the back seat of the car with my cousins (in Birmingham, waiting to travel to Ireland) when my uncle asked us to get out, which we did. He then lifted the entire back seat up and placed two riffles down and put the whole seat back down on top of them. However, all is kind of well - one was an air rifle and one a .22 'proper' rifle. They were going to be used for hunting, not any mad paramilitary avenue.

When we got to the ferry terminal I was 'told' to get in the footwell of the back seat of the car. Turns out they didn't have a ticket for me and neither my parents or they wanted to purchase such a thing. Anyway, they threw a towel over me, put their feet up on me, and we got through OK.

Actually, that's now reminded me of another event - I recall flying to Ireland and drinking and smoking on the plane. Smoking was actually allowed back then. They even had ash trays in the hand wrests. Fuck me, how old am I? I happened to have to go back to a property adjacent to my primary school last summer. Looking at the school blew my mind. So many, many things have happened to the child that used to go there, that was / is me. 

Oh, by the way - just to say that we were made to go a funeral every week or so at the school. We had no idea whose fucking funeral it was, but the whole school had to sing there. Anyway, to cut a long story short I got my first ever 'lines' punishment for laughing out loud during one of these funerals. I'd seen two of my mates in the playground earlier hitting each other with each others school bags. Anyway, I was stood next to them at this funeral when an eruption occurred and there was a geyser of coca cola spraying into the air, covering the surrounding school children (and myself). Obviously one of my mates mom's had put in a fizzy drink for him to have at lunchtime in a Tupperware container (all the rage back then). This thing had then exploded during someone's funeral, me and my two mates nearly shate ourselves laughing, and then all got 'lines' afterwards. 

I'll finish there.

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had no knowledge of this person until your mention of him 'forced' me to look him up. I have made a note of his name. I take it for granted that his books must be worth the grade if you are reading them. 

I have generally found that if people like Pratchett books, they'll often like Rankin.

I would recommend starting with The Antipope and reading the subsequent Brentford Trilogy. Which is now 10 books, and says a lot about the author.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:09 AM, Bryanrebe said:

What was that about a failed citizenship test?!

6 hours ago, Quark said:

I have generally found that if people like Pratchett books, they'll often like Rankin.

I would recommend starting with The Antipope and reading the subsequent Brentford Trilogy. Which is now 10 books, and says a lot about the author.

Duly noted. Mind you, I haven't read a fictional book in years. Or a factual book, for that matter. I've actually got a pile of true life stories that I still have to get through. It'll not come as too much of a surprise, I'm sure, but most of the books that I read are true life stories about drug smugglers.

13 hours ago, Quark said:

Big Pratchett fan. Did get through a few Rankins but a poor mans Pratchett imo. I liked the Pratchett quote on the early Rankin books. Something along the lines of "I can see I'll have to watch out for Mr Rankin". Possibly a veiled way of saying "He's nicking my style".

And wasn't Rowling's Hogwarts just a blatant rip off of Unseen University? Harry Potter even looks like Windle Poons ffs.

Anyway, just opened a bottle of wine here. Cheers drunkards.