Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

19 hours ago, st dan said:

As we are now just a couple of weeks away from a full year of being in some form of lockdown/restrictions being in place - how would we all review our ‘Year of Booze’?

For me, I know I’ve certainly drank much, much less than I usually do. Just without the weekly pub visits, drinks after work/on lunch etc. And I definitely feel better for it. But some of my friends have drank much more, usually just due to a couple of beers each night. 

I've stopped midweek drinking mostly due to there being no gigs, no mate meet ups, and it's not hot enough to get me cracking tinnies on a wednesday. I'm drinking on fridays and saturdays still, but less.

Still putting on weight though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not burning it off with adventure.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, Bryanrebe said:

Was a celebration had?

I do this with really sweet cider. There's only so much I can handle before it's too much sugar.

Wish I could say that about the 10 gin sodas I just drank... 😭

Yes indeed.... and it then rolled over into Tuesday too (good weather)! Not touched a drop since so will start again later!

Anyway... how do you know Brett and Jemaine?!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Homer said:

Yes indeed.... and it then rolled over into Tuesday too (good weather)! Not touched a drop since so will start again later!

Anyway... how do you know Brett and Jemaine?!

I know everyone in New Zealand. We have to learn the phone book at age 5 and get tested every year thereafter. If we fail we get sent to *shudders* Australia.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

I know everyone in New Zealand. We have to learn the phone book at age 5 and get tested every year thereafter. If we fail we get sent to *shudders* Australia.

I’m out of upvotes!!! 

Ha! The episode when Jemaine sleeps with an Australian (keitha) is the best one by a mile (about a kilometre and a third). 

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

I’m out of upvotes!!! 

Ha! The episode when Jemaine sleeps with an Australian (keitha) is the best one by a mile (about a kilometre and a third). 

The Bowie episode will forever be my favorite.

I saw a show Bret was writing for the National Theatre in London last year. It was still on script and they had added a song that day but I couldn't tell you which one it was. It was based on the book the Brief and Frightening reign of Phil.

Bret was playing the piano about a metre in front of me. He asked people to hang back if they had feedback, but we just left. I've also walked past him a couple of times on the street but most people just leave celebrities alone in New Zealand.

2020 I drank way, way more. Initially being stuck at home + the decent weather we had meant I was drinking pretty much every day. It kind of just stuck for the whole year, then it was December/Xmas so I just wrote it off as something I’d address in 2021.

2021 I went back to strictly no midweek drinking, first drink I allow myself to have is Friday Eve. I’ve been exercising every morning Mon-Friday and in a couple of months I’ve got into considerably better shape. I wasn’t out of shape before, but was probably half a stone heavier through the drinking.

I love a Sunday drink, but I’m considering knocking it on the head. It’s amazing how different I feel by Wednesday just mood and energy wise, compared to Monday - Tuesday when I’m still feeling the affects of alcohol consumption.

The real test will come when the pubs reopen, as I’ve just moved next door to one!

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

On 2/28/2021 at 11:40 AM, Bryanrebe said:

The Bowie episode will forever be my favorite.

I saw a show Bret was writing for the National Theatre in London last year. It was still on script and they had added a song that day but I couldn't tell you which one it was. It was based on the book the Brief and Frightening reign of Phil.

Bret was playing the piano about a metre in front of me. He asked people to hang back if they had feedback, but we just left. I've also walked past him a couple of times on the street but most people just leave celebrities alone in New Zealand.

Wow, that sounds great! My mate works right by the Soho Theatre. When they played the smallest room there there was a snowstorm in London, so he camped out in the bar two nights and got us two returns the second time. Unfortunately, because he'd done the hard yards in the bar, he was so pissed by the time they came on he can barely remember it (I had a great time though).

'New Zealand is small/crap' is my fave FOTC type of joke. When I went the first time, I only went for three weeks, but the Auckland rugby squad jogged past me on the streets. Later, we popped into Welly airport and the entire NZ one-day cricket squad was stood at the carousel. I was pretty starstruck by seeing Ian 'Smithy' Smith - but like you I somehow managed to restrain myself from mobbing him. My wife used to see Jemaine knocking about Welly on his bike all the time.

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Wow, that sounds great! My mate works right by the Soho Theatre. When they played the smallest room there there was a snowstorm in London, so he camped out in the bar two nights and got us two returns the second time. Unfortunately, because he'd done the hard yards in the bar, he was so pissed by the time they came on he can barely remember it (I had a great time though).

'New Zealand is small/crap' is my fave FOTC type of joke. When I went the first time, I only went for three weeks, but the Auckland rugby squad jogged past me on the streets. Later, we popped into Welly airport and the entire NZ one-day cricket squad was stood at the carousel. I was pretty starstruck by seeing Ian 'Smithy' Smith - but like you I somehow managed to restrain myself from mobbing him. My wife used to see Jemaine knocking about Welly on his bike all the time.

I did what I call the "New Zealand trifecta" once at the airport. I saw an All Black, an MP and a Shorthand Street (our only soap) in one terminal.

I've also been on the plane with the NZ Cricket squad. Wish in hindsight I'd got Chris Cairns signature. That man is a true legend 👏

Fomdest memory of seeing sports stars is going to the gym. The cardio equipment is downstairs and then there's two staircases at either end of the building that lead to the weights floor. Decided I'd throw some tin around, walked up the stairs, saw the entire Argentinian rugby team, walked to the other set of stairs, walked down 😅

6 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I once saw Steve Craddock from Ocean Colour Scene arriving at Auckland airport one time.

Can’t keep track of the All Blacks and minor celebs I’ve had pointed out to me...

Considering one of our most famous people is the "Briscoes" lady, I'm not surprised 😅

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/lucky-am-briscoes-lady-celebrates-30th-year-kiwi-advertising-legend 

Brisoces-Lady-Tammy-Wells-(1).jpg

2 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Considering one of our most famous people is the "Briscoes" lady, I'm not surprised 😅

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/lucky-am-briscoes-lady-celebrates-30th-year-kiwi-advertising-legend 

Mrs Moth was the Yellow Pages Tree House lady if you remember that? She’s eagerly awaiting Brisco Lady’s retirement 😂

15 hours ago, John the Moth said:

I once saw Steve Craddock from Ocean Colour Scene arriving at Auckland airport one time.

Can’t keep track of the All Blacks and minor celebs I’ve had pointed out to me...

I was thinking I didn’t see any celebs on my second visit... then I remembered my wife saying we were walking past an All Black in an Auckland shopping centre. I very much took her word for it.

15 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Ha! This reminds me of this conversation from a few years ago:

The wife: I went to the beach earlier and saw Lorde’s mum there.

me: how did you know she was Lorde’s mum?!

the wife: oh, she’s quite famous here.

Anyway, how’s Gary the Sheep these days? Is he in retirement?!

56 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha! This reminds me of this conversation from a few years ago:

The wife: I went to the beach earlier and saw Lorde’s mum there.

me: how did you know she was Lorde’s mum?!

the wife: oh, she’s quite famous here.

Anyway, how’s Gary the Sheep these days? Is he in retirement?!

Never heard of Gary the sheep or Lorde's mum and now I feel like I'm failing some sort of citizenship test.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Never heard of Gary the sheep or Lorde's mum and now I feel like I'm failing some sort of citizenship test.

Ooh, this is good - makes me feel a bit like I'm reimposing colonialism (which is, of course, the dream of any true Englishman).

Gary is from the ep where they set up 'Newzealandtown' in New York.

"We're trying to get New Zealand's most famous sheep to make an appearance."

"What, Gary's going to be here?!"

https://flightoftheconchords.fandom.com/wiki/Gary_the_sheep

I also think it's important to add at this stage that we also have a weird obsession with penguins. Happy Feet was one of the main stories on the news for weeks. Literally. I cannot make this up. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-14702100

Our national aquarium also has a good and bad penguin of the month. It's a big deal. https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/427324/penguin-of-the-year-2020-who-is-in-the-running

Our bird of the year competition also gets very heated. The second most controversial election in November 2020 (voter fraud was committed for the little spotted kiwi) https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/123404888/kkp-crowned-winner-of-bird-of-the-year-2020

We're a simple bunch really. Just give us a feathered creature to marvel and we're happy 😅

35 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

No snakes in New Zealand. The only mammal found here before humans arrived was two species of bat. That's why we're so obsessed with birds, it's all we've got!

I had to go off and Google that because I thought you were joking. Amazed to read that the Bat was the size of a thumb as well 😮

17 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

No snakes in New Zealand. The only mammal found here before humans arrived was two species of bat. That's why we're so obsessed with birds, it's all we've got!

Maybe Saint Patrick also went to New Zealand on his travels, and rid the place of snakes like he did Ireland. Then again there are heathens out there who believe it was the ice age that enabled Ireland to be free of snakes.