Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So missing a pub pint!   

You could say that, yes. Let's face it, we all are. 

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

By the way, Ultra belated birthday wishes , 

That's appreciated, thank you.

How I got to this age is beyond me.

I don't know why but I've just remembered that there used to be beer wagons drive around to your house delivering beer during the 1970's. I know that Davenports used to drop off beer in my road. I know this because one of my alcoholic uncles, who lived on the same road as us, was their main customer on that road.

It's odd because that uncle could hardly talk anyway. You couldn't understand what he was trying to say, most of the time. Anyway, it's only in recent years that I found out why he was the way he was. It's because he got a venereal disease as a young man, it wasn't treated, and he went doo lally mad.

I remember visiting the house he was in in later years and he had a paint tin (not plastic) under his bed for pissing in. When it got to the top of the tin, he'd make the effort to get out of bed, and then cart the tin to the toilet. Only he'd done this so often that he hadn't realised that his own urine had kind of dissolved the metal bottom of the tin, so that it leaked. So, there you have it - my uncle Jack, for you. I wish I'd been told about his condition before he died though. I'd have made more of an effort with him. I say that because everyones (and I mean everyone) reaction to when he entered a room was to fucking leg it and make sure that you weren't the poor bastard that copped it. 

Thanks for reading that. I'm so sorry. You'll never get that time back you know?

Oh no, not Roman Catholic guilt! I thought I'd nailed that one. 

The little bastards never go away. What kind of fucking thing to do to a child. Do you know in my infant school, we had to go to a funeral every week or two weeks, even though we never knew the people. We were there to sing.

I once got lines for laughing at one of the fore mentioned funerals. It wasn't my fault. How was I to know the set of events which led up to me laughing. This is while everybody around me was covered in a large spray of fizzy pop. To cut a long story short - two lads had been having a bag fight before the funeral. One of them had a container of fizzy pop in their bag. This then exploded during the funeral. Now I found that funny at the time, and still do now. Obviously the family of the deceased will have thought differently. 

37 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I wish I'd been told about his condition before he died though. I'd have made more of an effort with him.

Would you though? or is that just the older version of you thinking you would :)

39 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd have made more of an effort with him.  

Or had the same reaction :) because see above

8 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Would you though? or is that just the older version of you thinking you would :)

How the fuck would I know the answer to that question? I do like the question though. In all honesty though, trying to understand him better would have proven a little futile. I say this because you really couldn't understand a good proportion of a sentence coming out of his mouth. On reflection now, I should have encouraged him to write. 

15 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Or had the same reaction :) because see above

See above. :)

24 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Or had the same reaction :) because see above

Hello fred quimby,

I've now got the fear that you may misinterpret my post above. Have you? How would you know that you have, in fact?

No need to answer. Just tell me that we're Hunky Dory'? :)

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh no, not Roman Catholic guilt! I thought I'd nailed that one. 

Bloody church (well Sunday school (not catholic)). That's me triggered.

I got slapped 'round the head by one elder for saying I didn't see the point in hearing about whatever obscure piece of 4000 year old questionable history he happened to be going on about that week. I shouted the place down. They stopped the service (we were in a separate group in a back room). Big hoo ha. All my fault apparently.

Then, a while later.

It was the first time I'd ever attended of my own accord. I had been told I didn't have to go any more if I didn't want to. I was content with finally getting that little victory, but thought hey, my family have attended this place for generations. I decided to go anyway. Under my own steam. On my own terms. My family were nicely surprised that Sunday morning and it felt at the time like the most adult decision I'd ever made in my life. 

I got there, and was promptly restrained in a vice like grip for over an hour by another self important 'elder' who wouldn't let me sit next to my (at the time) life long mate.

That was the final straw for me. I went acting as an adult and was treated like a child. Decided about half way through the hour that that was it. Again all my fault.

I've only been back twice since. For the funerals of my Grandad and Great Aunt. I'm still torn as to whether I will enter that place when it comes to my Mothers, given that she didn't really stand up for me at the time at that she is still friends with these people.

In fact, typing that, I'm really, really trying but struggling to remember any other (read good) memories from the almost decade and a half I spent attending that place every Sunday  The only good times I remember are having a laugh with said mate.

Wow, now that sounds like a right drunken sob story doesn't it. Don't picture me sobbing in the corner though as I have pretty much "nailed that one". I'm over it but I'm not going to forget it and feel justified in still feeling a bit angry.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What kind of fucking thing to do to a child.

Quite. The very height of hypocrisy if you think about it. Suffer the little children and all that.

And don't start me off about bloody school. 

Edited by MrZigster

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello fred quimby,

I've now got the fear that you may misinterpret my post above. Have you? How would you know that you have, in fact?

No need to answer. Just tell me that we're Hunky Dory'? :)

Always hunky dory. My post was all in Jest :) (insert smiley face as everyone likes that)

20 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Bloody church (well Sunday school (not catholic)). That's me triggered.

I got slapped 'round the head by one elder for saying I didn't see the point in hearing about whatever obscure piece of 4000 year old questionable history he happened to be going on about that week. I shouted the place down. They stopped the service (we were in a separate group in a back room). Big hoo ha. All my fault apparently.

Then, a while later.

It was the first time I'd ever attended of my own accord. I had been told I didn't have to go any more if I didn't want to. I was content with finally getting that little victory, but thought hey, my family have attended this place for generations. I decided to go anyway. Under my own steam. On my own terms. My family were nicely surprised that Sunday morning and it felt at the time like the most adult decision I'd ever made in my life. 

I got there, and was promptly restrained in a vice like grip for over an hour by another self important 'elder' who wouldn't let me sit next to my (at the time) life long mate.

That was the final straw for me. I went acting as an adult and was treated like a child. Decided about half way through the hour that that was it. Again all my fault.

I've only been back twice since. For the funerals of my Grandad and Great Aunt. I'm still torn as to whether I will enter that place when it comes to my Mothers, given that she didn't really stand up for me at the time at that she is still friends with these people.

In fact, typing that, I'm really, really trying but struggling to remember any other (read good) memories from the almost decade and a half I spent attending that place every Sunday  The only good times I remember are having a laugh with said mate.

Wow, now that sounds like a right drunken sob story doesn't it. Don't picture me sobbing in the corner though as I have pretty much "nailed that one". I'm over it but I'm not going to forget it and feel justified in still feeling a bit angry.

Quite. The very height of hypocrisy if you think about it. Suffer the little children and all that.

And don't start me off about bloody school. 

I have run out of up votes. I fully understand where you are coming from. I'd like to write more, but my wife's going to hit me if we don't have some time together. Very understandable, so I'm off for a while now. 

@MrZigster - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Good that I'm over it or good that I'm angry?

You're going reply both aren't you.

I may regret having not just one.

Are they not the same thing though, maybe not

so not saying both just that they could be yin and yang

Edited by fred quimby

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Are they not the same thing though, maybe not

so not saying both just that they could be yin and yang

But I forgot the third option.

Good that I haven't forgot?

The line that separates the yin and yang, or the circle that surrounds them maybe?

It's turning into one of those drunken discussions is it?

Like I said. That type of srunken discussion (sic)

8 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Have I haven't? Really? What sort of a question is that?

I knew I should have added emoticons earlier :);):ph34r::dontknow::pardon:

I meant as a third option, Is it also good that I haven't forgot? In addition to over it and/or angry?

20 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Did I tautologies myself there?

I do enjoy drunken at times.

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, I thought I should have inserted a smiley after the first sentence.

Soz.

My mistake. :)

Ooh, look - one of them smiley things above. Reckon I've got the picture now. :)

Will PM you. Oh man sorry, for those that read my posts

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I am slightly comforted that we won't

I've ran out of up votes.

I understand what you are saying, but could you imagine his 'confinement'? On reflection again, I would like to have offered him that opportunity. However, as you have pointed out - that could just be the me now, not the me then. I guess you learn as you go along. :)

NOTE - I've now gone too smiley face now, haven't I? I think I've got it now. I'm so with the smiley face thing. 

If it isn't a smiley face, or this :bow:, then I have to copy and paste the emoticon and do a search on it to see what the fuck it means.