Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Right I’ve been to see a gig tonight and me and my mates have been in discussion since someone mentioned an orange drink...

What do you all call this? (Picture attached)
Current argument is between:

- Diluted Juice
- Squash

7F5617E8-CE97-4273-84B7-765103172063.png

Squash mainly but use both

2 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

In New Zealand we just call it juice, no matter how much fruit juice it actually has in it. Similar to chips (I think we're just super lazy).

images.jpeg

In Canada it's all juice as well. 

And in the photo you have fries, fries, and chips!

2 hours ago, Charm said:

Does anyone know how to get into a bottle of wine without using a corkscrew. 
Charm x

Put it in a shoe and bash the shoe against a wall. Something with a soft sole like trainers. The cork will inch out gradually and then you can grab and pull it.

The lock down is beginning here in Ireland. By next week there'll be strict restrictions on movement. Might as well get pissed.

8 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Put it in a shoe and bash the shoe against a wall. Something with a soft sole like trainers. The cork will inch out gradually and then you can grab and pull it.

The lock down is beginning here in Ireland. By next week there'll be strict restrictions on movement. Might as well get pissed.

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Thanks guys, Friday was saved by pushing the cork into the bottle with a long screwdriver. 
Charm x

On 3/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, DareToDibble said:

Right I’ve been to see a gig tonight and me and my mates have been in discussion since someone mentioned an orange drink...

- Diluted Juice
- Squash

Personally I'd call this squash. However my 5 year old when requesting a soda water and squash combination likes to refer to it as a 'fizzy juice'. Interested to see the general consensus on this, and whether I should start correcting him.

10 hours ago, Charm said:

Thanks guys, Friday was saved by pushing the cork into the bottle with a long screwdriver. 
Charm x

I've pushed many a cork in to the bottle with the butt end of a standard eating knife. Just wrap a tea towel around the knife and slowly but surely add pressure downwards. Some corks give way far quicker than others - hence the tea towel, as it prevents a Reservoir Dogs scenario from happening wherever you are doing it. I fix the bottle in place between my two feet when doing this, as you can slowly put your upper body weight down on the cork. 

My parents (one teetotal, and the other almost teetotal) bought a very fancy wine bottle opener from their only ever visit to the States. It has a silver syringe type attachment which you push through the cork. Then you just pump air in through a silver hand pump a little like a bicycle tyre pump, and out pops the cork. I want one of those.

11 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Personally I'd call this squash. However my 5 year old when requesting a soda water and squash combination likes to refer to it as a 'fizzy juice'. Interested to see the general consensus on this, and whether I should start correcting him.

Up here in west of Scotland. you will hear all fizzy drinks referred to as a bottle of ginger, or a can of ginger. Just a throwback to more innocent times before Coca Cola! 

The other stuff is diluting juice. 

Anyway this question is surely sacrilege in a thread dedicated to drunkards! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

On 3/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, DareToDibble said:

- Diluted Juice
- Squash

It's just cordial isn't it or simply juice?

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've pushed many a cork in to the bottle with the butt end of a standard eating knife. Just wrap a tea towel around the knife and slowly but surely add pressure downwards. Some corks give way far quicker than others - hence the tea towel, as it prevents a Reservoir Dogs scenario from happening wherever you are doing it. I fix the bottle in place between my two feet when doing this, as you can slowly put your upper body weight down on the cork. 

My parents (one teetotal, and the other almost teetotal) bought a very fancy wine bottle opener from their only ever visit to the States. It has a silver syringe type attachment which you push through the cork. Then you just pump air in through a silver hand pump a little like a bicycle tyre pump, and out pops the cork. I want one of those.

Thanks Yog, I made a proper mess of it but in the end it got drunk, the most important bit. 
Charm x

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s squash as far as I’m concerned ... cordial comes in elderflower black currant or lime 

I was a deprived child, used to ask my old maw for this stuff and was told there’s plenty water in the tap. We would stare in envy at Wimbledon on the telly just to see the Robinsons being drunk all the time! 😉.  Lime cordial was something added to lager if you managed to date a girl with a bit of class. 

Just now, Charm said:

Thanks Yog, I made a proper mess of it but in the end it got drunk, the most important bit. 
Charm x

Hello Charm,

Where there's a will, there's a way. Fair play to your determination in getting that bottle open. The thing is with those bottles of wine with corks, is to show them that you have no fear, and that they will be mastered by you, so that it's in their best interests to give in early. It's the only language they understand.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Charm,

Where there's a will, there's a way. Fair play to your determination in getting that bottle open. The thing is with those bottles of wine with corks, is to show them that you have no fear, and that they will be mastered by you, so that it's in their best interests to give in early. It's the only language they understand.

Agreed. In New Zealand it's pretty rare to get a bottle of wine with a cork so when I got a bottle in the USA with one I was at a loss with what to do. Ended up using the hotel room key as a corkscrew and half the cork ended up in the wine.

In all honesty it probably improved the flavor. American wine is.. not great (sorry not sorry).

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Of course it does. It doesn't want to be associated with peasant drinks... 

Fucking love the random banter in this thread!

Cordial is seen as the lowest class of drinks in New Zealand, you get it in a sachet and you mix it with water. Colonial class systems obviously went wrong somewhere down the line..