Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

4 minutes ago, plateofchips said:

The spectre of booze limitations appears once more. And hopefully quietly disappears

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/glastonbury-2020-camping-security-licence-3728995

"A new limit may be introduced on the amount of alcohol that can brought in for personal use"

Hopefully will get removed as previously ... not really sure how this is enforceable as people are able to enter and leave the site freely ... 

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Hopefully will get removed as previously ... not really sure how this is enforceable as people are able to enter and leave the site freely ... 

Didn’t realise this has been an issue in the past. It’s a five day event, how much do they reckon is adequate for personal use?  Truth is the amount you can carry prevents taking too much in. 

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t realise this has been an issue in the past. It’s a five day event, how much do they reckon is adequate for personal use?  Truth is the amount you can carry prevents taking too much in. 

They’ve mentioned it on a couple of occasions ... but backtracked both times ... also throw into the mix some will come on buses and want to leave the site to get top ups locally in supermarkets ... and others will have alcohol supplies available from storage in vehicles .. so it’s gonna be a nightmare to monitor /change ... its one of the things we told Michael was so great about the festival when we got to chat to him a few years ago 

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t realise this has been an issue in the past. It’s a five day event, how much do they reckon is adequate for personal use?  

the driving force behind this idea isn't really interested in what's the right amount for personal use.

It's that alcohol is on-site that isn't under the control of them, via the licenced bars. From the council regulation side of things, it supposedly it makes it an underage-drinker's paradise.

Which is just fucking stupid, it's solving nothing. If underage drinkers are bringing huge slabs of alcohol to Glastonbury they'll also be accessing huge amounts of alcohol outside of Glastonbury, and it's root is the failure of council licencing outside of Glastonbury at whatever outlet the underagers have got the alcohol from. 

57 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the driving force behind this idea isn't really interested in what's the right amount for personal use.

It's that alcohol is on-site that isn't under the control of them, via the licenced bars. From the council regulation side of things, it supposedly it makes it an underage-drinker's paradise.

Which is just fucking stupid, it's solving nothing. If underage drinkers are bringing huge slabs of alcohol to Glastonbury they'll also be accessing huge amounts of alcohol outside of Glastonbury, and it's root is the failure of council licencing outside of Glastonbury at whatever outlet the underagers have got the alcohol from. 

Very true, having dealt with teenagers all my career, helping out at school discos, youth clubs etc I’ve seen all the innovative and creative ways they can source, hide and consume alcohol and other substances,  did it myself at that age. We used to get the blame for drunk teenagers arriving at events but the real problem was the off licence selling it at the first place or alcohol being nicked from their parents supply! Blaming the festival is just the easy way of shifting responsibility. 

To be fair, rightly or wrongly, my parents bought me a crate for Reading when I was 16. Plus a lot of underage people have an older sibling or older friends that would help them out. 

I don't actually take much more than a crate and litre of spirits these days so I'd probably be alright but still a terrible rule of they do try to enforce it. 

I remember Beach Break years ago limiting to you to set amounts of alcohol (e.g. either a crate, 1L of spirits, etc.). We got round it with sealed bottles of "water". 

5 hours ago, zeppelin said:

I remember Beach Break years ago limiting to you to set amounts of alcohol (e.g. either a crate, 1L of spirits, etc.). We got round it with sealed bottles of "water". 

I went to a couple of Beach Breaks & the alcohol limits were silly. We got around this buy putting extra alcohol in our tents then wrapping it up, no way would security ask you to open a tent bag, too much hassle. Wasn’t a terrible festival for £100.

Until I went to Global Gathering.

Absolutely NO alcohol was allowed, even into the campsite. Ridiculous. Then they were charging I think £40 for a slab of 24 Carlsberg within the campsite! Carlsberg! It kind of encouraged people to take drugs which at that festival everyone pretty much was anyway.

Met a group of girls that had half & halfed their Listerine with vodka. Minty fresh.

Edited by Bisque

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

A different kind of all nighter for me as the Wife is in labour.

Jesus christ has time gone slow since midnight.

Can't stop thinking about what the first piece of music my newborn should hear when it finally makes an appearance?

Congrats to you and your wife! I'll have a glass of wine for ya. Is it your first?

In terms of music, "Rise and Shine" Kylie Jenner? (I joke people, don't crucify me).

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Can't stop thinking about what the first piece of music my newborn should hear when it finally makes an appearance?

Get off ya phone. 😂

Seriously though congratulations for the miracle about to happen. Or maybe it has......😁

5 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Plenty of time for a new life to develop their musical tastes. So a tune with a bit of hope for the future.  God knows the next generation needs to make a better job of the planet than we have done.  So avoid the Chemicals, eve of destruction!  How’s about Louis Armstrong, it’s a wonderful world? Might not be up to date but lyrically perfect. 

all the  best! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Exciting times, all the best there JT to you and your extending family, best day of your lives today I reckon 😎👍

Music wise, not a Scooby, maybe Elbow - One Day, I don't know....

Just imagine, kids field in a few years time, will be ace.

40 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Never heard of this one, please report back in full.

Actually feel fine this morning which is useful since I'm playing squash in a couple of hours. I did quite a few things to prevent feeling dreadful including drinking 2 lucozade sports before going to sleep, eating loads and a further 2 drinks this morning.

But more importantly huge congrats to JoeyT. I'd personally play a newborn welcome to the black parade as their first ever track but I am a massive emo

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Congratulations - I hope all has gone and is going well. 

My eldest had Purple Rain, but it wasn't a conscious choice. She then became obsessed with it (and still is), and also bizzarely 'Missing' by Everything But The Girl. She used to fall asleep on listening to that one... soon became the most played in my house!

12 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Congrats Joey, Hope all is well!

16 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Bat out of Hell, Meatloaf? 😉😁

Seriously though, hope all has gone well. 

Edited by semmtexx