Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

enjoy ... im up at 5am every morning until xmas eve ... and driving xmas day ... might have a quick try a friends home-brew for painkilling purposes though :) 

Thanks CF1, I'm giving it a go as we speak 🍸🍺 5 am starts aren't so bad, quite a nice time of day tbh; we've all been there if you've had kids or ever been on an all nighter 😎

Home brew is definitely the way ahead, what's the worse that could happen......

PS resale day feels a lifetime away doesn't it.

Edited by oneeye

3 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Thanks CF1, I'm giving it a go as we speak 🍸🍺 5 am starts aren't so bad, quite a nice time of day tbh; we've all been there if you've had kids or ever been on an all nighter 😎

Home brew is definitely the way ahead, what's the worse that could happen......

PS resale day feels a lifetime away doesn't it.

Yeah I quite like them gets the day over early although it does stop any big evening drinking but that’s no bad thing :) my friend was all proud about his home brew for the next fest ... I got him bus tickets untill I put a spanner in the works reminding him of the no glass policy ... so he’s given a bit of it away for sampling purposes and he’s gone back to drawing board ... it feels like an age yes ... but once we pass the festive time everything will pick up and the time will fly by :) 

• Like 1

Tied one on yesterday afternoon onwards. It was a complete put the foot down experience with drink and pills. Apart from one other, me and him were the only ones not to wake up (after passing out) without physical injuries. I have now been instructed that I have to be my wifes commis chef for Christmas Day dinner (something I was bent on doing in any case). The reason for this is that she did some rather spectacular fall overs last night. We also had another guest too who also managed to fall over and lacerate his face, which aint a nice development for Christmas. It was a messy one indeed, but also a lesson learnt. Neither I nor my wife want to get in that state again over the Xmas period. 

Glad all survived there yogs, I think that the moral of the story is to know your limitations and regularly exceed them 🤣

In all seriousness though, lesson learnt (until the next time 😏)

Back on it again down here in a grey and shitty Devon; any excuse 🤶🍺🍸🍹

Fire raging 🔥

20191221_155313.thumb.jpg.d4cbcc85dca261683771093d5adf6e14.jpg

Edited by oneeye

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

Glad all survived there yogs, I think that the moral of the story is to know your limitations and regularly exceed them 🤣

Fire raging 🔥

Hello oneeyes,

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Yes, it is a lesson learnt. There's no way that I want (or will be allowed) Christmas Day to be anywhere near like yesterday's performance. The thing is, last Christmas (there's a song in there somewhere!) wasn't a great one, for reasons too long to go in to. So, both me and my wife are determined that it'll not be a performance. Our problem with that is that we've invited people to stay with us for Christmas who have nowhere else to go. For example, one lad's a bloke I met at a couple of festivals, who lives in an ex ambulance all year around, and would be on his own otherwise. It's actually the first Christmas he's looked forward to in years. Anyway, the problem with the folk we have invited is that they are all 'heavy hitters' on the indulgence front. That's not a problem with us, because so are we. My problem is that I can't put my foot down on Christmas Day because I've got a long drive to get to my family and see them on Boxing Day. I so don't want to fuck that bit up, but am well aware of my previous form. Thing is, I don't think my dad's going to see another Christmas, so this would be the last moment that all the family are happily together ie it's mega important. If i fuck that up, I'll never forgive myself. However, I have the resistance / breaking strain of a Kit Kat. Wish me luck. All the best for Christmas  oneeye, and to all those reading this too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

Fire raging 🔥

PS - You have a lovely home, by the looks of the photos I've seen of it. It kind of lends itself to being Christmasy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello oneeyes,

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Yes, it is a lesson learnt. There's no way that I want (or will be allowed) Christmas Day to be anywhere near like yesterday's performance. The thing is, last Christmas (there's a song in there somewhere!) wasn't a great one, for reasons too long to go in to. So, both me and my wife are determined that it'll not be a performance. Our problem with that is that we've invited people to stay with us for Christmas who have nowhere else to go. For example, one lad's a bloke I met at a couple of festivals, who lives in an ex ambulance all year around, and would be on his own otherwise. It's actually the first Christmas he's looked forward to in years. Anyway, the problem with the folk we have invited is that they are all 'heavy hitters' on the indulgence front. That's not a problem with us, because so are we. My problem is that I can't put my foot down on Christmas Day because I've got a long drive to get to my family and see them on Boxing Day. I so don't want to fuck that bit up, but am well aware of my previous form. Thing is, I don't think my dad's going to see another Christmas, so this would be the last moment that all the family are happily together ie it's mega important. If i fuck that up, I'll never forgive myself. However, I have the resistance / breaking strain of a Kit Kat. Wish me luck. All the best for Christmas  oneeye, and to all those reading this too.

All the best yog ..... have yourself a good and safe one .... and nice one on taking someone in that would be otherwise on their own .. I was last year ... it was by choice as I didnt fancy a trek to Dover .... and it was a very odd one though ... CF 

• Upvote 1

Merry Christmas everyone. Having a birthday a few days before Xmas used to be brilliant as a kid, massive presents etc. Now it’s a slog of meeting friends who can’t make it out until weekends, work nights out & going for one that turns into ten. Good luck everyone.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

All the best yog ..... have yourself a good and safe one .... and nice one on taking someone in that would be otherwise on their own .. I was last year ... it was by choice as I didnt fancy a trek to Dover .... and it was a very odd one though ... CF 

Hello crazyfool1,

Seasonal best wishes to you too. I once did 7 years in a row being on my tod on Christmas Day. It was a mixed kind of affair. At times I liked it and at others I felt so very lonely. I mean I didn't cut myself off from family completely on the day, but was on my own for most of the Xmas period. 

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello crazyfool1,

Seasonal best wishes to you too. I once did 7 years in a row being on my tod on Christmas Day. It was a mixed kind of affair. At times I liked it and at others I felt so very lonely. I mean I didn't cut myself off from family completely on the day, but was on my own for most of the Xmas period. 

All the best mate. I normally take myself away for Xmas. Hit up Asia for a month & back for New Year. Took my other half on an adventure last Xmas but we agreed we will alternate every year now, I’m not invited to her family do so this will be my first Xmas in the UK with family for quite a few years & I am dreading it.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

PS - You have a lovely home, by the looks of the photos I've seen of it. It kind of lends itself to being Christmasy.

Thanks yogs, but I will say it's the people that make it christmasy, more than the home; family & friends I reckon 😎 have s great one all 🎅xx

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bisque said:

All the best mate. I normally take myself away for Xmas. Hit up Asia for a month & back for New Year. Took my other half on an adventure last Xmas but we agreed we will alternate every year now, I’m not invited to her family do so this will be my first Xmas in the UK with family for quite a few years & I am dreading it.

Seasonal best wishes to you too Bisque. I absolutely love South East Asia. Simply can't get enough of the place, so understand why you'd do the Xmas thing over there.

Fortunately and unfortunately I've GOT to do the family thing on Boxing Day. It means that I'll have to temper things on Xmas Day evening, but it'll be so worth it.

Sorry to hear that your dreading the family thing. You never know, it might just be the tonic you needed. Hope so.

All the best for Xmas mate. :)

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Seasonal best wishes to you too Bisque. I absolutely love South East Asia. Simply can't get enough of the place, so understand why you'd do the Xmas thing over there.

Fortunately and unfortunately I've GOT to do the family thing on Boxing Day. It means that I'll have to temper things on Xmas Day evening, but it'll be so worth it.

Sorry to hear that your dreading the family thing. You never know, it might just be the tonic you needed. Hope so.

All the best for Xmas mate. :)

Thanks Yog. You might be right, I have just come back from a trip through Laos.

I just hate sitting in front of the TV all day, slowly drinking crap tinnies, full of food, nobody talking to each other, waiting for Eastenders to come on.

At least when I was younger my father & I had a Top Gear special to look forward to!

And when I had my dog it was a great excuse to leave the house for a couple of hours, listen to some Adam & Joe etc, sadly no more.

I’m tempted to have a quick search on Skyscanner whilst watching this Liverpool Flamingo match for a day or two in Europe or somewhere just really cheap with a decent hostel where they might have an Xmas get together as most do.

edit: my other halfs mom has been married four times, it’s like tribal warfare at their place every time I go so I’m glad I’m avoiding that!

Edited by Bisque

10 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Thanks yogs, but I will say it's the people that make it christmasy, more than the home; family & friends I reckon 😎 have s great one all 🎅xx

Family and friends are more important than any precious jewel, that's for sure. I happen to love my family. I also love all my friends too. I love my friends because they chose me to be their friend. That both amazes and humbles me, at times. My family and my friends are my rock. However, none of them come come close to that of my wife. I fairly sure that I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for her. And guess what - we're fairly broke at the moment (our lives go from feast to famine continuous basis) and I've only got two present for her. One I have made, so that's in the bag. I found out yesterday that the other won't arrive until the 6th January. I'll just have to tell her what it is. She'll be delighted anyway, so that's OK>

1 minute ago, Bisque said:

Thanks Yog. You might be right, I have just come back from a trip through Laos.

I just hate sitting in front of the TV all day, slowly drinking crap tinnies, full of food, nobody talking to each other, waiting for Eastenders to come on.

At least when I was younger my father & I had a Top Gear special to look forward to!

I’m tempted to have a quick search on Skyscanner whilst watching this Liverpool Flamingo match for a day or two in Europe or somewhere just really cheap with a decent hostel where they might have an Xmas get together as most do.

Aagh well, the thing with Christmas (and every other time of the year) I just take class A's and drink to get through it. I very rarely watch telly throughout the year, so there's no watching the telly at Xmas for me. That said, I've never ever watched the Queens speech, but think it might be interesting this year. I'm sure that she won't make any mention of her purported errant son, but you never know.

One of my mates once sent a letter to the Queen asking if she wouldn't mind awfully if he captured and killed a swan and prepared it and cooked it on Xmas Day, so that he could 'swan up' on the day and watch her giving her speech to the common wealth. Apparently her secretary ( with a name like Charlie Farnes Barnes) wrote back to him telling him that the queen only exercised her right over the swan / treason thing within a certain boundary of the Thames, but that it would be against other laws to do so etc etc. He was mightily disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

One of my mates once sent a letter to the Queen asking if she wouldn't mind awfully if he captured and killed a swan and prepared it and cooked it on Xmas Day, so that he could 'swan up' on the day and watch her giving her speech to the common wealth. Apparently her secretary ( with a name like Charlie Farnes Barnes) wrote back to him telling him that the queen only exercised her right over the swan / treason thing within a certain boundary of the Thames, but that it would be against other laws to do so etc etc. He was mightily disappointed.

Doesn’t stop the pikeys (I don’t like that term but) in Surrey.

46 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Doesn’t stop the pikeys (I don’t like that term but) in Surrey.

I once spent a period of my life drinking with 'travellers'. I hadn't expected to do so, but it just kind of happened. Fortunately they liked me. However, if you crossed these blokes, I dare not say what the result would be. They were loyal to themselves only. These blokes (who were a family - natch) didn't do shoddy tarmac jobs, or even charge OAP's £ 25K for renewing one roof tile, which didn't actually need renewing. This crew travelled the world setting fire to buildings that the owners wanted setting fire to, for insurance purposes. Well, that's what I heard along the grape vine anyway. Apparently they were in the USA once on a 'job' when they popped in to a burger place for a meal. They weren't treated that well at the counter. So they went back and burnt that place down too, after it had closed. As i say - nice if they like you, but not so much if they don't.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

We all admire your brave stand against 

56 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have to agree, that's true.

populist tabloid tropes, so have an early Christmas present in the form of a 'top tip:'  If you don't like a term, you can avoid all that anguish by simply not using it.

Apologies. It’s just what the locals in the pub call them. I honestly don’t know their background at all, that is all I know them as. I suppose I should call them Irish travellers but they don’t tend to travel that much & all the Irish ones got banned from my gym so I don’t even know what nationality they are from.

Again apologies if I have upset anyone.

I personally keep a very safe distance from them as I fear one bad word or phrase will get me in some trouble.

Played pool against a couple of young lads, we let them win despite them being shit faced & being crossed eyed.

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

Apologies...

No worries.  I wasn't intending to 'censor' your opinions - that just plays into the hands of the right-wing's phoney 'political correctness' narrative.  It is a loaded term though, so if you don't like it either then it seems a no-brainer to use something else.

As for whether travellers actually eat swans... Sounds a bit of a dubious tale to me!  But even if any still did, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - I'd rather live the life of a Swan than the horrific existence of a battery hen, of which there are far more.

2 hours ago, Bisque said:

Apologies. It’s just what the locals in the pub call them. I honestly don’t know their background at all, that is all I know them as. I suppose I should call them Irish travellers but they don’t tend to travel that much & all the Irish ones got banned from my gym so I don’t even know what nationality they are from.

Again apologies if I have upset anyone.

I personally keep a very safe distance from them as I fear one bad word or phrase will get me in some trouble.

Played pool against a couple of young lads, we let them win despite them being shit faced & being crossed eyed.

Yeah, no worries from this end too. To many people's eyes (to my mind anyway) I actually am treated like a (and I'm going to say it) pikey The reason for that is that I've lost many of my teeth (Drugs - just say no kids). I walk around places / shops / pubs / wherever and you can just see a big screen of alienation rise up before you. There's a lot of travellers around my parts from time to time, and I have no doubt that many people around here who don't know that I own my own house outright,. think that I'm one of the travelling community.

The above said, I'll never be PC about the travelling community. I'll do this because I've drank with them, and because I've seen what they do when they rock up and take over a piece of land. Don't tell me that they don't shit all over the place, and thoroughly wreck the place with discarded shite. I've seen far far too much evidence not to go down the line that they're all just romantic romany types. Some are nice, and some aren't - just like everybody else on the planet.