Way Out West 2020

Ovechkin

Where: Gothenburg, Sweden

When: 13-15th august 2020

Tickets: 170 euro (final price is 220 euro, doesn't sell out)

2019 headliners: Solange, Stormzy, The Cure, Jorja Smith (replaced Cardi B )

First announced artist 2020 is Bon Iver, headlining the thursday.

Will be my sixth year, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info you gave in the 2019 thread; very helpful. I’ve a few questions:

How likely are single day tickets to sell out based on your previous experience? I’m looking to attend on the Thurs (Bon Iver/Tallest Man on Earth). If they do sell out, how late would you leave before purchasing? Do single day prices go up the closer to the event?

How many people attend on an average day (tried to find a definite answer online)?

Is there any very cheap accommodation you could recommend? Otherwise I was considering getting the 5am train out the next morning (travelling from Odense in Denmark). Presumably the main station is open 24/7?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Like 1

The Thursday is normally the least busy day. Day tickets for Thursday is very unlikely to sell out. The day ticket price will not go up closer to the event. Day tickets has been at that price point for a few years I think. The ticket site also specifies that the 3-day tickets will increase in price closer to the event but there is no such indication for 1 and 2-day tickets. 

The first few years the capacity used to be at 25 000 but they have increased gradually over the years. According to this link there was between 30-35 000 visitors per day last year. Last year they only sold out day tickets for the Friday.

https://www.hd.se/2019-08-11/valbesokt-men-lugnt-way-out-west

I think the central station closes around 1 am. One option would be to attend one of the club shows at Stay Out West that is included in your ticket. That way you could go straight from the club gig to the train station. I think you would need to book well in advance to find cheap accomodation. 

Edited by Olivedal 1904

Swedes are normally very late when buying tickets, you could probably purchase your 1-day ticket in late july 2020.

Stayed at a hostel a few years ago which is located right at the park where the festival is held, don't know about the prices nowadays but back then it was fairly cheap.

http://www.linneplatsensvandrarhem.se/en/booking/

As Olivedal says if you want to avoid that cost, just go to one of the club shows in the city, I think they start at 00:00 and end 04:00. And there are also some restaurants open the whole night as well.

• 1 month later...

Thank you to both of you for all the info. Linneplatsen have put their prices way up in response to the festival - I’m either booking STF hotel or Le Mat B&B. 

Thoughts on the line up so far? 

Thurs: Bon Iver/The Tallest Man on Earth (the day I’m going - hence I obviously really like both)

Fri: FKA Twigs/Boy Pablo/Black Madonna/Michael Kiwanuka/Bikini Kill

Sat: Khalid/Slowthai/Burna Boy

On 12/27/2019 at 9:44 AM, more matey said:

Thank you to both of you for all the info. Linneplatsen have put their prices way up in response to the festival - I’m either booking STF hotel or Le Mat B&B. 

Thoughts on the line up so far? 

Thurs: Bon Iver/The Tallest Man on Earth (the day I’m going - hence I obviously really like both)

Fri: FKA Twigs/Boy Pablo/Black Madonna/Michael Kiwanuka/Bikini Kill

Sat: Khalid/Slowthai/Burna Boy

A bit meh so far, lacks guitar bands 😛. They also have had a lot hip hop artists last years so you could assume a big name there as well.  

They hyped up Khalid on their Facebook so I would assume he's headlining. Can't see FKA Twigs headlining, they had Jorja Smith last year and the field was kinda empty.  Might close the second stage, Khalid might aswell (same slot as Stormzy had last year).

Thursday: Bon Iver / X

Friday: X / FKA Twigs

Saturdy: X / Khalid

Edited by Ovechkin

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2020 at 8:48 PM, birchtree29 said:

Eminem might be possible if he is really confirmed for Sziget

Defintely not, wont ever happen. He’s not what neither the crowd or festival go for. They usually have some hip hop but thats either up and coming, hyped or critcally acclaimed acts.

And he is probably expensive.

bon iver / strokes / Robyn are 100% your headliners, great trio Even though im not the biggest bon iver fan.

6 hours ago, Ovechkin said:

Defintely not, wont ever happen. He’s not what neither the crowd or festival go for. They usually have some hip hop but thats either up and coming, hyped or critcally acclaimed acts.

And he is probably expensive.

bon iver / strokes / Robyn are 100% your headliners, great trio Even though im not the biggest bon iver fan.

Yeah, Eminem is certainly out of the question. But you’re dead wrong when you say he wouldn’t fit in, considering previous ”classic” acts like Public Enemy, De La Soul, Outkast, Mos Def, and Wu-Tang Clan, just to mention a few.

14 hours ago, -Roger- said:

Yeah, Eminem is certainly out of the question. But you’re dead wrong when you say he wouldn’t fit in, considering previous ”classic” acts like Public Enemy, De La Soul, Outkast, Mos Def, and Wu-Tang Clan, just to mention a few.

He wouldnt, its the same like all of those you mentioned are / have been viable for exemple glastonbury, but eninem Will never play that festival. Or Taylor Swift Will play download. He is just a grumpy 50 yo nowadays. 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, mackinley said:

Haha yes I still haven't recovered from when Bon Iver ruined The Nationals gig at Haven festival in Copenhagen..

Wow at how different opinions can be. I was front row on the barrier that night at Haven for both The National and Bon Iver. They are probably my two day favourite bands in the world. I’ve seen them both many, many times.

Bon Iver’s performance was out of this world. He was so into it he was doing fist pumps under his keyboard during some songs. That performance is probably in my top 5 gigs of all time, and I’ve been to a lot.

Yeah The National were below standard that night but that was entirely due to them playing a whole bunch of new songs that no one knew. Matt being drunk also didn’t help, although I’ve seen them play incredible gigs with him in similar condition.

11 hours ago, more matey said:

Matt being drunk also didn’t help

Haha isn't he always drunk? I saw The National in Bochum, germany in december. He was actually climbing the drums and threw cymbals on stage... the rest of the band didn't really approve.. But it was a fun gig, anyway. Yes, The National is one of my favourite band to but I have never liked Bon Iver. Im probably to old.... 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Strokes - Robyn - Bon Iver

Khalid - FKA Twigs - Burnaboy

Dave - The Tallest Man on Earth - Michael Kiwanuka - Mac Demarco - Koffee

070 Shake - Bikini Kill - Denzel Curry - Slowthai - Caribou - Floating Points - The Black Madonna - Bicep - Kerri Chandler - Mwuana - Boy Pablo  - Mafalda - Jayda G

Shaping up quite nicely!