Best Kept Secret Festival 2020

mellowmaniac

12 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Ooo very tempted by this, is anyone going/ever been solo? What's the vibe like?

The vibe is very relaxed. Lot's of friendly people. Easy to meet new people. The average age is a bit higher than on many other festivals (it's more around 30 than 20) and people seem to appreciate good (not always cheap) food, a nice location and decent toilets. ;) It's not really a festival about headliner, but about discovering your new favorite band you never heard about before, the people and the atmosphere. The tickets themselves usually don't sell out fast (if at all), but most bungalows and glamping options do.

Edited by mellowmaniac

11 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

That's me already happy. Fontaines DC and black midi were 2 of the 3 names on my Pukkelpop wishlist sent in last week. Different festival, same result.

Decent start, that. I've seen all but Fontaines recently so I think I'm what's called 'on trend' at the grand age of 43!

Edit - who was the other name? 

Edited by DDave

11 minutes ago, DDave said:

Decent start, that. I've seen all but Fontaines recently so I think I'm what's called 'on trend' at the grand age of 43!

Edit - who was the other name? 

Other name was a bit more predictable (from me). Nick Cave always goes on the teamsheet, even though I've already seen him about 9 times in his various guises, including three times at PKP...

Edit: I was going to point out that I was the grand age of 43 the last time Nick Cave played PKP...! But then I realised that just makes me sound old...

Edited by Trufflehound
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bonnaroo just had it's lineup announcement. As Bonnaroo is at the same weekend in the USA as BKS, acts being confirmed for Bonnaroo most probably won't play at BSK.

At least these acts would have fit BKS as well:

Tame Impala, Lana Del Rey, Vampire Weekend, Lizzo, The 1975, Run The Jewels, Glass Animals, Flume, Jason Isbell, King Gizzard, Leon Bridges, Ezra Collective, Larkin Poe, The Regrettes, Primus, Dashboard Confessional, Wallows, Tones And I, Altin Gün, Dermot Kennedy, Denzel Curry, Slowthai, Nilüfer Yanya, Pinegrove, Saint Jhn, Orville Peck, Elderbrook.

This 99% eliminates one of the most predicted headliner for BKS: Lana Del Rey.

b20-admat-fb-d3822e94.png

• 2 weeks later...

Primaverasound announced it's full lineup last night. Primavera takes place one week before BKS and has 100% of all bands confirmed that are already confirmed for BKS.

Most Primavera bands would fit BKS, but some are already confirmed for Down The Rabbit Hole (and won't play both festivals, like Beck, Disclosure, Tyler, The Creator, Kacey Musgraves, Bicep and Jehnny Beth), will most probably be in the USA when BKS takes place (Lana Del Rey, Brittany Howard, King Gizzard, Young Thug) or are exclusive (Pavement).

I keep my fingers crossed for: Arthur Verocai, Bauhaus, Bikini Kill, Boy Harsher, Dinosaur Jr., Einstürzende Neubauten, Floating Points, Iggy Pop, Jawbox, Jesus & Mary Chain, Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth), Les Savy Fav, DJ Shadow, Shellac, Squarepusher, Squid, Tropical Fuck Storm, and Yo La Tengo.

thumbnail_IMG_20200116_095715.jpg

Edited by mellowmaniac

1 hour ago, mellowmaniac said:

I keep my fingers crossed for: Arthur Verocai, Bauhaus, Bikini Kill, Boy Harsher, Dinosaur Jr., Einstürzende Neubauten, Floating Points, Iggy Pop, Jawbox, Jesus & Mary Chain, Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth), Les Savy Fav, DJ Shadow, Shellac, Squarepusher, Squid, Tropical Fuck Storm, and Yo La Tengo.

I'd be happy with most of those. I'd also love to see Napalm Death show up as I think they'd be a right laugh.

Not sure I've forgiven Bauhaus for ruining one of my better dining out stories. I used to be able to namedrop the fact I was at their "last ever" gig at the Hammersmith Palais in 1983, but then the buggers kept on reforming and it turned out not to be the "last ever" gig by a long way...

Edited by Trufflehound

On 1/16/2020 at 2:03 PM, Amsy said:

Do you folks reckon that the strokes could play at bks? 

It seems like The Strokes are the most discussed possible headliner. It's definitely possible, as they are confirmed for Primaverasound a week after BKS.

I'm a bit surprised no one is talking about Nick Cave as headliner anymore. He definitely is around and would fit pretty well.

My guess is that the third headliner will be a bit smaller than the first two confirmed headliner.

@ghoulieanne Fly to Amsterdam, then train to Tilburg. Dutch trains are regular, modern and reliable.

Me and my friend stayed in a 2 man Kartent in 2017. Worth it in my opinion, especially if you're flying. Less luggage for you and it stays cool inside considerably longer than a regular tent. We also took the airbed option. Comfy to sleep on, though it gets slightly challenging to enter and exit as the tents are quite low and the airbed takes up some valuable height.
The only con is that the camping space is stretched around the lake and the space allocated to Kartent is (or at least was) quite far away - around 20min on foot I think (not terrible, but if you had your own tent, arrived early enough you could pitch it 5mins away from the festival site, which makes a lot of difference if you're planning to do the trip more than once a day).

8 hours ago, ghoulieanne said:

Thanks for the info... this will be my first time at a festival outside of the uk, so am feeling a bit nervous about it all.  

You'll have a great time and it's a perfect one to start with. Once you've been to one abroad you'll want to go to more. 

Eindhoven is the airport you want to fly to from Manchester. There's normally return flights for under 50 quid, it's only an hours flight and public transport is very good. 

Edited by DDave

11 hours ago, ghoulieanne said:

Thanks for the info... this will be my first time at a festival outside of the uk, so am feeling a bit nervous about it all.  

I agree with DDave, I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Festival is really laid back and people are generally super friendly. 

Feel free to ask away if there’s anything you want to know. 

edit: what festivals did you attend in the UK?

Edited by visdave34

Just realised that the final headliner is due to play the Saturday so now i'm holding out for The Strokes. Cant take anymore leave at work this year but can easily pop over for the Saturday if it is them. 

Went to this festival back in 2015 and was my younger self was shocked at how calm and laidback the festival was - something now id probably appreciate a lot more

On 1/18/2020 at 10:20 AM, visdave34 said:

I agree with DDave, I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Festival is really laid back and people are generally super friendly. 

Feel free to ask away if there’s anything you want to know. 

edit: what festivals did you attend in the UK?

We've been to Kendal Calling a couple of times, Electric Picnic, Blue Dot, Bestival and Moovin.

Ive been having a listen to the playlist on spotify and really looking forward to Massive Attack... I also like Belle and Sebastian and Metronomy.  Feels like there is a bit of something missing from what's been announced up to now though... will there be anything a bit more upbeat do you think?

On 1/18/2020 at 7:18 AM, DDave said:

You'll have a great time and it's a perfect one to start with. Once you've been to one abroad you'll want to go to more. 

Eindhoven is the airport you want to fly to from Manchester. There's normally return flights for under 50 quid, it's only an hours flight and public transport is very good. 

I've just checked and it looks like there is only one flight back from eindhoven on the Sunday and it's  really early... not sure we'd make it  to the airport in time.   

43 minutes ago, ghoulieanne said:

We've been to Kendal Calling a couple of times, Electric Picnic, Blue Dot, Bestival and Moovin.

Ive been having a listen to the playlist on spotify and really looking forward to Massive Attack... I also like Belle and Sebastian and Metronomy.  Feels like there is a bit of something missing from what's been announced up to now though... will there be anything a bit more upbeat do you think?

There will definitely also be more upbeat acts across the weekend. Last year we had the likes of Raconteurs, Lizzo, Carly Rae Jepsen, Christine & The Queens, DJ Koze, Primal Scream, Blossoms and quite a few others. I expect some anouncement soon, hopefully this week.

50 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

There will definitely also be more upbeat acts across the weekend. Last year we had the likes of Raconteurs, Lizzo, Carly Rae Jepsen, Christine & The Queens, DJ Koze, Primal Scream, Blossoms and quite a few others. I expect some anouncement soon, hopefully this week.

Fingers crossed🤞

What time do shenanigans go on until?  Are there DJs on throughout the night? 

1 hour ago, ghoulieanne said:

I've just checked and it looks like there is only one flight back from eindhoven on the Sunday and it's  really early... not sure we'd make it  to the airport in time.   

Sorry,  ignore that - just realised well be travelling back on Monday! Doh!