Drinking Water - Do you pay for it?

Staberinde

Thought the festival did fantastic this year with the ban on plastic bottles meaning people filled up at the kiosks or taps.  I made use of the Water Aid kiosks plenty of times, and got a nice little badge each time I filled up which was a great memento for this years festival.  I did see some food outlets selling water in cans which made me just think "why?"

It's very rare I buy water anyway and will try and drink tap water where possible.

20 hours ago, lazzareo said:

Prior to Glastonbury this year I paid for water at Glastonbury and at home but now I don't pay for it anywhere.  My refillable bottle goes everywhere with me and I can't believe I've been buying plastic bottles for as long as I have been.  This years Glastonbury changed my mindset and I'm glad it did and feel bad that I didn't do this years back.

Ditto this for me. I've even managed to get the company i work for, to issue every employee (about 60 pf us) with there own company branded metal bottle so were doing our bit at work! :) 

• Upvote 1

On a slightly unrelated note, I did have a few of the canned waters over the weekend. Holding a cold can and pulling the ring pull has an automatic association with either a nice sweet fizzy drink, or a beer. It’s incredibly disappointing when your brain is naturally expecting either of those two... and then it’s just water.

I'm pretty sure the only time I've bought bottled water has been to clean my car windscreen when the  windscreen washer reservoir has run out unexpectedly.

Oh, and to empty the bottles so I have something to decant my spirits into for Glastonbury.

Reminds me of an old The Two Ronnies newsdesk skit:

"Activists today poisoned the main Perrier reservoir. Half of the wests middle classes were reportedly wiped out overnight".

55 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

On a slightly unrelated note, I did have a few of the canned waters over the weekend. Holding a cold can and pulling the ring pull has an automatic association with either a nice sweet fizzy drink, or a beer. It’s incredibly disappointing when your brain is naturally expecting either of those two... and then it’s just water.

Why did you buy the cans? Caught short without a spare bottle? 

On this note, I heartily recommend the refill app: https://refill.org.uk/get-the-refill-app/

It will show you any place they have registered that will top up your bottle for free when you're on the go, meaning less plastic and saving you money. Most tend to be chains like costa, but there are also independent places that have signed up. 

One final tangent - every airport I have been to has a drinking water tap or fountain where you can top up your bottle rather than pay airport prices after emptying your bottle before the security. They're normally near the toilets but are normally marked on maps if not. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

On this note, I heartily recommend the refill app: https://refill.org.uk/get-the-refill-app/

It will show you any place they have registered that will top up your bottle for free when you're on the go, meaning less plastic and saving you money. Most tend to be chains like costa, but there are also independent places that have signed up. 

One final tangent - every airport I have been to has a drinking water tap or fountain where you can top up your bottle rather than pay airport prices after emptying your bottle before the security. They're normally near the toilets but are normally marked on maps if not. 

Didn't know this existed. Brilliant, will be adding it to my phone!

7 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

My work (YHA) is on that so if you ever find yourselves near a hostel and in need of a refill, then pop in

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one can of water at the festival this year on the Friday afternoon when I was struggling in the heat with a hangover - I hadn’t been intending to buy water as I had a bottle full in my bag from the taps but then the people in front of me bought some cans and when they were handed them they had been chilling in the freezer and were all frosty. So I bought one and it was DREAMY - so cold, so refreshing. Still think about it regularly.