Drinking Water - Do you pay for it?

Staberinde

43 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Saturday afternoon, when the tap queues were at their longest, every bar was emailed and instructed to ensure free water was provided. 

The bar I worked at was selling the usual £2 cans from the freezer but we also made sure we had jugs and camping containers of tap water at the bar for freebies.  We normally do this very late at night so it was not a bother to bring them out earlier.

One woman asked me for some water and I asked if she wanted to purchase a cold can from the freezer or have a free cup of tap water and she simply repeated the request.  Sensing what was going on I quickly gave her a free cup of tap water.  At this point she revealed that she was from licensing and was testing each bar to see how they performed.  I mentioned something about the tap water being warm and wanting to ensure she got what she wanted.  At this point she pointed out that I should ignore all unnecessary delay that and just concentrate on the tap water (at any temperature) or she'd not hesitate in revoking our licence. 

Even though I was aware of the laws, I had only just passed the test as I was trying to do the right thing.

From the conversations I heard as a bar worker, the festival always had plenty of drinking water, but the distribution of it was where most of the issues lay.

Crikey, I never knew they would have checks like that going on. In hindsight that was a bit naive of me - of course they would carry out checks like that to ensure some of the less scrupulous trader were not cashing in

No doubt I'm sure they also sample and test the water at different locations and different times throughout the festival.

42 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I learned a few weeks ago that lots of people don't even drink the water out of their own bathroom taps, and only ever pour themselves a glass of water from the kitchen tap!

So I can certainly believe people were avoiding filling up at the glastonbury taps.

I'm sure it's set out in building regulations that the main water inlet must go straight to the kitchen tap, the local water board must ensure that the water is safe to drink so what you get from the kitchen tap has no chance of being contaminated.

Any other tap in the house is usually fed from holding tanks (which are also fed from the main inlet) in the loft etc. To exaggerate a point some shoddy plumbers may leave the cover off for rats to swim and piss in there or even the odd pigeon dies in one.

Thats my understanding, but I am no plumbing expert ;)

Edited by Staberinde
typos

It's great that free, potable water is available everywhere at Glastonbury, and brilliant that the single use plastic ban has been brought in. 

I live in a place where it is really not OK to drink the tap water.  

I know it's been said so many times, but if you can, support Wateraid, their work is invaluable and saves lives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Staberinde said:

Crikey, I never knew they would have checks like that going on. In hindsight that was a bit naive of me - of course they would carry out checks like that to ensure some of the less scrupulous trader were not cashing in

No doubt I'm sure they also sample and test the water at different locations and different times throughout the festival.

The licensing checks are expected for miss-serving alcohol as that is a standard part of selling alcohol.

What surprised (and pleased) me was the simple welfare check on the availability free tap water.

Hats off to all the crew, volunteers and area management that have the fundamental duty of care to look after the ticket holders be it hot, muddy, dry or flooded. 

The festival is second to none in that respect. 

The waters free and clean!

FFS.

I've been getting through my festivals on cider and rum safe in the knowledge I'm not gonna get the plague. Now i feel like I've wasted all that money and avoided the (non existent) plague at the expense of my liver. Why has nobody pointed this out before. I'm gonna have to reassess what liquids I ingest  in the future. NOT. ?

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

oh for taps at the pyramid the ones as you look away from the stage back right under the bbc crane always seemed to have little or no queue .... whereas the ones near the toilets by the cider bus  were a complete nightmare every time I passed them 

And ridiculously high pressure.

4 hours ago, Staberinde said:

I'm sure it's set out in building regulations that the main water inlet must go straight to the kitchen tap, the local water board must ensure that the water is safe to drink so what you get from the kitchen tap has no chance of being contaminated.

Any other tap in the house is usually fed from holding tanks (which are also fed from the main inlet) in the loft etc. To exaggerate a point some shoddy plumbers may leave the cover off for rats to swim and piss in there or even the odd pigeon dies in one.

Thats my understanding, but I am no plumbing expert ;)

I guess with older builds and larger houses it might be the case. But these are people with modern houses and combi boilers!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

its just sheep ... like the food stands .... people must think the taps with the best water have the longest queues and join the end :) 

We should be thankful for sheep. Otherwise everyone would stand in the best place in the pyrmaid stage, know how to get to front of stages, know where to camp and countless other things I'm going to be a snug twat about! 

5 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

We should be thankful for sheep. Otherwise everyone would stand in the best place in the pyrmaid stage, know how to get to front of stages, know where to camp and countless other things I'm going to be a snug twat about! 

I’m thankful for cows without them we would not have a certain dairy farm :)