Er, Harry Styles

henry bear

20 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

A tv karaoke contest runner up subheadlining the greatest festival on earth. A standard bearer for all that is wrong with the music industry.

As a spokesperson for the old-before-my-timers, the young traditionalists of the forum- i say ney, a thousand times ney.

I used to think the same but his two solo albums are cracking and I think he’s distanced himself quite a lot from that now.

Also Camila Cabello was booked for 2020. I don’t think X Factor contestants are instantly rejected from the festival anymore. I think they all hate Simon Cowell probably as much as you do!

32 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Could see him in the George Ezra slot quite nicely. 

Tbh if we were going into a 'normal' year I wouldn't rule him out as an outsider for a headline slot. Friday night, like Stormzy. 

Yeah I think him before Kendrick would work well.

Also I think he’d be a good breakup between Aerosmith and Paul McCartney.

Although the run of HAIM - Aerosmith - Harry Styles - Paul McCartney sounds too good. I’d have to get a good deck chair.

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Perhaps your source had read the first post in this thread?

Dunno what they said was that they’ve heard he’s been asked and won’t say where from.

I shared it because I checked his dates and it does look like he’s saving the summer for something.

Also common touring patterns for someone doing EU festivals is they do the U.K./Europe May - July and then head off to the US. If you look at his dates it would fit that pattern. I doubt he’s going to be doing shows between that period in the US if he’s starting a tour there in August.

I also think it’s unlikely he will do nothing all summer. 

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, sisco said:

He was very rude to me on it too! Very upsetting

You get used to it.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

A tv karaoke contest runner up subheadlining the greatest festival on earth. A standard bearer for all that is wrong with the music industry.

As a spokesperson for the old-before-my-timers, the young traditionalists of the forum- i say ney, a thousand times ney.

Hey, he’s not doing that anymore. What he produces is still not very good and wouldn’t be enjoyed if it was one of these other white twentysomething manfeelings singers but what’s important is that he’s not in One Direction anymore.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Bang on the button - he's fucking awful!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Imagine being this narrow minded & still thinking you understand what Glastonbury is about.

Also, a lot of Styles' solo music is co written by Kid Harpoon who himself has played Glasto several times, as well as co-writing for a lot of other Glasto performers; Florence, Lily Allen, Haim, Years & Years to name a few. I see no reason why Styles should be excluded because he was on a shite tv show over ten years ago. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Imagine being this narrow minded & still thinking you understand what Glastonbury is about.

Also, a lot of Styles' solo music is co written by Kid Harpoon who himself has played Glasto several times, as well as co-writing for a lot of other Glasto performers; Florence, Lily Allen, Haim, Years & Years to name a few. I see no reason why Styles should be excluded because he was on a shite tv show over ten years ago. 

I never said he should be excluded, just given a slot that befits his merits, a kind of club singer slot tucked away in some small tent somewhere in the middle of the day.

Glastonbury is an independent festival, it doesn’t need to be craven to the record industry. Its at its best when it wields its power to give a legup to something quality and/or a little different rather than helping manufactured, algorithm friendly popstars and their record labels to further dominate an already grossly regressive industry.

Imagine thinking you’re some kind of zen glastonbury spirit guide when you are a cheerleader for a festival with roots in the free festival movement to spread its cheeks for the big swinging johnsons of the music industry. All hail the great broad minded one!

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I never said he should be excluded, just given a slot that befits his merits, a kind of club singer slot tucked away in some small tent somewhere in the middle of the day.

Glastonbury is an independent festival, it doesn’t need to be craven to the record industry. Its at its best when it wields its power to give a legup to something quality and/or a little different rather than helping manufactured, algorithm friendly popstars and their record labels to further dominate an already grossly regressive industry.

Imagine thinking you’re some kind of zen glastonbury spirit guide when you are a cheerleader for a festival with roots in the free festival movement to spread its cheeks for the big swinging johnsons of the music industry. All hail the great broad minded one!

I'm sure this would go really well when there's 100k people trying to cram into Croissant Neuf

20 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

You do read some funny stuff on here, but this .... 🤣🤣🤣

Just trying to wrap my head around the argument you could squeeze Harry Styles into a small tent.

He’s pyramid or nothing. Depending on clashes he could get a headliner sized crowd.

The idea that Glastonbury is separate to the zeitgeist is so 2000’s.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just trying to wrap my head around the argument you could squeeze Harry Styles into a small tent.

He’s pyramid or nothing. Depending on clashes he could get a headliner sized crowd.

The idea that Glastonbury is separate to the zeitgeist is so 2000’s.

No point trying to wrap your head round it

At first I thought he was on the wind up, but I actually think he believes in what he is saying  🤣

Edited by circus92

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

No point trying to wrap your head round it

At first I thought he was on the wind up, but I actually think he believes in what he is saying  🤣

I think some people are still living in the 90s where Glasto is full of people that bottle pop stars and don’t listen to radio 1.

I've been force fed Harry for about three years by my teenage daughter. Yea he and 1d have done a few half decent tunes but he's nowhere near headline material. His hugely over-managed non-personality hasn't done him any favours whatsoever and sadly even that is bigger than his musical talents. He's a classic case of wanting to be something he never will be, or at least his management want that. He'd be wise to get rid and stop being told he's an ever so massive superstar by complete idiots.

Shame cos he's probably a really nice fella.

• Upvote 1

Lol. Right on cue, irony bypass brigade has arrived. I cant believe he just said that Harry Styles could play a little tent!!! OMG 😂 😂 Everyone knows hes far too handsome to play a little tent!!!

I don’t think you need to be so smart to understand that my meaning is rather, in a hypothetical and more just universe, where a glorified pub singer has not been overpromoted by a broken system, that he has a slot that fits his merits.

My opinion is that Glastonbury can put less well known but more interesting acts on, it has a captive audience, they probably arent going to just sit in their tents if their preferred choice Harry Styles or little mix arent playing so maybe then they’d get to see something new and expand their horizons. It doesnt have to, and often doesnt, play by big music’s rules.

So i say, if that rule holds, stick Harry on a smaller slot if he must play, if you say it isnt practical, then you are saying he shouldnt play, not me. By my preferred act booking mechanism.

• Downvote 1