Underworld

stuartbert two hats

I know that for an act of their age and stature, it's a bit soon for return to the farm - after all, it was 17 years between appearances last time, but they seem to be going through a massive creative resurgence at the moment.  They've been releasing an EP every month for the last year and have built up the equivalent of several years of work in the process - 40 tracks in total!  Not as polished as a normal LP, but much more interesting as a result.  Some of it is arty stuff that would suit a theatre setting, some is poppy, some ambient and reflective, but quite a few tracks are outright banging - far more so than men of their age have any right to produce!  It's far more ambitious and diverse than the listenable, but comparatively bland Barbara barbara, we face a shining future.

A real late career blooming to the extent that I think they deserve to come back to the festival for the 50th.  Anyone else been following them recently?

https://open.spotify.com/album/2090camD0iDPzJTSjuEJhP

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Never stopped listening to them, one of my favorite acts. Saw them at Sonar this Summer and will be seeing them in Amsterdam later this month. Rick and Karl are still at the very top of their game. The Teatime Dub Encounters EP with Iggy was fun and the new Drift album arrived in the post yesterday. Not had a chance to listen to it yet but the singles from it are great, particularly "Listen To Their No", which is very Underworld. 

A John Peel headline slot would be fantastic. 

• Like 2

I missed them in 2016. My other half felt a bit overwhelmed and anxious while we were waiting for them to come on, so I walked her back up the tent at Worthy View. Came up as I was waking back down and had to sit by myself at the Rocket in Greenpeace and have a pill chill. Couldn’t read my phone for blurred vision so had to wait for it to clear to meet the rest of our crew. I had a great time tbf, but really would like to see Underworld back because of it. 

23 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Never stopped listening to them, one of my favorite acts. Saw them at Sonar this Summer and will be seeing them in Amsterdam later this month. Rick and Karl are still at the very top of their game. The Teatime Dub Encounters EP with Iggy was fun and the new Drift album arrived in the post yesterday. Not had a chance to listen to it yet but the singles from it are great, particularly "Listen To Their No", which is very Underworld. 

A John Peel headline slot would be fantastic. 

Amsterdam for me too and cannot bloody wait! 

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2019 at 6:18 PM, Rubber Soldier said:

I missed them in 2016. My other half felt a bit overwhelmed and anxious while we were waiting for them to come on, so I walked her back up the tent at Worthy View. Came up as I was waking back down and had to sit by myself at the Rocket in Greenpeace and have a pill chill. Couldn’t read my phone for blurred vision so had to wait for it to clear to meet the rest of our crew. I had a great time tbf, but really would like to see Underworld back because of it. 

You could have been with me, watching John spew at the side of the stage. 

On topic it would be great to see them back. Easily one of my favourite Glastonbury sets, headlining the JPT would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ah, what a gig - before the sheer horror of the rain set it!

I still have no memory of rain that evening despite photo evidence. Underworld were fantastic then straight to the temple lost everyone and somehow bumped into another group of people I knew wandering in a daze who took me to meet friends at Bloc 9 until 6 am. One of my favourite ever Glastonbury evenings/mornings  (but my god did I feel it on the Saturday)

4 hours ago, Barneym said:

I still have no memory of rain that evening despite photo evidence. Underworld were fantastic then straight to the temple lost everyone and somehow bumped into another group of people I knew wandering in a daze who took me to meet friends at Bloc 9 until 6 am. One of my favourite ever Glastonbury evenings/mornings  (but my god did I feel it on the Saturday)

Wasn't it around 5 in the morning before it finally rained?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

18 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Thinking we could get these dudes on West Holts, Orbital on JP and Caribou in the park as headliners across the weekend. None of those would beat TSwiz for me but would be very good options for the other 2 nights tbh

I don't think Orbital would be up for playing in a tent, I think they like to play outside.

51 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I don't think Orbital would be up for playing in a tent, I think they like to play outside.

There was a rumour going around earlier this year that they were booked for JP and postponed till next year. Don't think they're still big enough for West Holts either (espexially on a year where there are pyramid headline sized bands on T'Other)

Would be brilliant if they played ,  I last saw em at village Underground, totally smashed it as usual,  and on the way home the next day I saw Karl at the tube station , so a quick chat with him , nice guy , I did try to blag him to do a gig in my home town , but still waiting for that 

Edited by PetePie

On 11/2/2019 at 5:17 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, surely Orbital will be back?

my mate commented on their status last year asking them, they replied that they won;t be back this year 2019 but will be back for 2020 as they turn 30 that year