Rage Against the Machine

O'Doyle Rules

2 hours ago, everest said:

8 front of stage tickets for Vienna show bought, price was 107€.

And it is sold out in a less than 10 minutes. Okay few tickets for sitting B is still left

Wanna change one front of stage ticket with a seating in sector 75? :D 

I couldn't get a single standing/fanpit ticket

4 hours ago, zeppelin said:

What the fuck is this dynamic pricing you're talking about and how is it legal? 

I think it's outrageous enough that all gigs aren't listed with seat plans and prices days in advance anyway. Let alone prices that CHANGE

I also hate that for many events its impossible to pay face value. 

Yep, its the way for a lot of concerts and sports events these days unfortunately. It's pretty much the same tactic as airlines use.

Edited by LostHorizon

There's no question that the ticketing industry is royally fucked up right now. Artists are powerless to do anything about it due to contracts between the likes of ticketmaster and the venues. Throw in the whole secondary market and it all stinks.

Pearl Jam made a valiant effort in the 90s and to this day I strongly believe that they had a good case, but I guess the big corps won out. Back then it was just excessive pricing they were fighting against, but now...

• Upvote 1

I got to see the 1975 at the O2, in London, for £20, last year. I bought the ticket through TM stores. They advertise them by sending e-mails. It gave me a taste for cheap tickets. I bought it at about 2am, online; for the show that evening. I want to do more like that. I'm fed up of being a mug!!

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Oh look, an artist addressing the issue. 

Can’t believe that RATM we’re getting stick for their concert prices in America when it was the scalpers/secondary market/etc.

We have some pretty stupid people in the U.K but to be fair not many of them think the  band is getting money from the resales on stubhub or that the Viagogo price has been set by the bands.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

We have some pretty stupid people in the U.K but to be fair not many of them think the  band is getting money from the resales on stubhub or that the Viagogo price has been set by the bands.

The suggestion from Morello that RATM themselves ‘disabled’ the exploitative Ticketmaster Premium feature kinda implicates the artists who do use it as complicit parties in what is essentially touting. it ain’t that stupid to think it.

Even standard ticket prices have got out of control but to combat the likes of Viagogo, maybe the time has come for photo ID on tickets for major events, like Glastonbury has adopted? It would be a simple process, most people have Ticketmaster or See accounts, all you'd need to do is upload your photo and it could be printed on the ticket for certain shows. Sure, there'd probably be a small fee for this but nothing compared to the prices on the secondary ticketing market. Obviously, they'd need a flexible way of face value resale for genuine cases but nobody seems to be doing anything significant to counter these crooked companies 

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Even standard ticket prices have got out of control but to combat the likes of Viagogo, maybe the time has come for photo ID on tickets for major events, like Glastonbury has adopted? It would be a simple process, most people have Ticketmaster or See accounts, all you'd need to do is upload your photo and it could be printed on the ticket for certain shows. Sure, there'd probably be a small fee for this but nothing compared to the prices on the secondary ticketing market. Obviously, they'd need a flexible way of face value resale for genuine cases but nobody seems to be doing anything significant to counter these crooked companies 

Kelis next month in Amsterdam sold out very quickly, small venue, Paradiso, so I bought tickets via Viagogo. Not proud,  unavoidable. (roughly double face value)

The Dutch love money, always have done. Tulips and all that.

Edited by bamber

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The suggestion from Morello that RATM themselves ‘disabled’ the exploitative Ticketmaster Premium feature kinda implicates the artists who do use it as complicit parties in what is essentially touting. it ain’t that stupid to think it.

I wonder if many artists actually get the choice. Seems like something that might have been a condition of them doing the tour. 

18 minutes ago, bamber said:

Kelis next month in Amsterdam sold out very quickly, small venue, Paradiso, so I bought tickets via Viagogo. Not proud,  unavoidable. (roughly double face value)

The Dutch love money, always have done. Tulips and all that.

On a side note, Paradiso, lovely venue! Avoid the top balcony though, the sound doesn't seem to travel well up there. Enjoy!*

* Despite feeding the evil corporate wheel... 😂

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Its not, because any artists management/booking has that on the table. Its if theyre aware of that or have any thought to what fans have to deal with when buying their tickets. One of my closest friends works at LN so Ive been fortunate to see how it goes down. And theyve told me that its gotten to the point where it can come down to just  a phone call from management asking to turn on platinum/premium pricing or not to do that right before an onsale. 

If you want another current example of a group not giving into all of that, its BTS. They have some really smart people handling everything and theres zero reason to have dynamic pricing for their concerts. Their fanbase just needs to get into the gates at a fair price because the real profits are from merchandise. Almost everyone that goes to their shows is going to spend a couple hundred dollars on whatever is being sold. Thats more valuable than an overpriced ticket which would hinder said fans future buying power. If you price out your key demographic then whats the point. 

Live Nation has an annual “national concert week” sale in the states. They do it at the beginning of May and its to sell their excess ticket inventory of shows that are not selling that well. Mostly are summertime outdoor Amphitheatre gigs. Tickets are $25 usd with no fees. The goal is to get people into the venues because they know that most everyone will buy at least a couple beers at $15 each and that adds up. Concessions are where you make the money and promoters have to find as many revenue streams as possible. 

Edited by Suprefan

13 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

I wonder if many artists actually get the choice. Seems like something that might have been a condition of them doing the tour. 

They do get the choice, because its another way of getting a higher fee out of gigs because if its high demand they reap the profits. Madonna did it on her theatre tour last fall, it was insane. And they were really pushing that too, cause Madonna and her team wanted to get as much as they could from the people who attended.  Metallica got caught red handed talking about platinum/premium pricing. And the fans were not happy about it.

Edited by Suprefan

On 2/14/2020 at 2:08 AM, zeppelin said:

What the fuck is this dynamic pricing you're talking about and how is it legal? 

I think it's outrageous enough that all gigs aren't listed with seat plans and prices days in advance anyway. Let alone prices that CHANGE

I also hate that for many events its impossible to pay face value. 

Its legal because my government never dropped the hammer on the ticketing industry early on to keep things more fair like they are in the UK. It got even worse when Live Nation and Ticketmaster merged.  You dont even wanna know how crazy the ticket lobby is in the u.s. the laws vary state by state in regards to how resales can be done and such. New York does not even allow tickets to have heavy restrictions such as not being able to be transferred because theyve fought to keep that market as a prime feeding ground for touts.  

Speaking of The 1975, despite their recent efforts to give their fans access to really good tickets in their presales, their u.s shows all have platinum/premium tickets for sale on all dates. Guess Matty Healy wants to plant those trees from every ticket sold on this tour from a yacht. 

Having worked directly with TM (Ireland) in the past, my experience has always been that dynamic pricing is something that is switched on at the request of the event/concert/etc. 

The price changes are usually calculated by 3rd party companies too (at least in Ireland anyway), who act as intermediaries and use their own algorithms to set the pricing changes based on the number of sales.

In short, it's pure shithousery.

So as much as I'd love to see them again at the festival I can't see it happening. Doubt Emilys 'big surprises' include them and the beeb won't want to be all over them either, Rage have never really been very radio2!

I'd love to be proved wrong but I've booked Reading Sunday as backup.

• 1 year later...

Flutterings they are coming to Europe in June 2022.

Obviously not at download so I’m wondering where else they could play? BST? One of their own days at something like Finsbury Park what QOTSA did a few years back?

Not ruling out Download doing something nuts like adding another day or another stage if they had the opportunity to book them and logistically could. 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Flutterings they are coming to Europe in June 2022.

Obviously not at download so I’m wondering where else they could play? BST? One of their own days at something like Finsbury Park what QOTSA did a few years back?

Not ruling out Download doing something nuts like adding another day or another stage if they had the opportunity to book them and logistically could. 

Where did you see this rumoured, Matt? 

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Where did you see this rumoured, Matt? 

Discussed here - flutterings not rumours  (hope this links to the right page) but discusses the fact that the gap in their tour schedule for the month of June could be filled with a very short EU run.

I’m just thinking whether this will be to play a mainland European festival or two, or whether they will come to the UK in this period too.

I’m not sure whether they’d return to R&L. They didn’t reschedule in 2021.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Discussed here - flutterings not rumours  (hope this links to the right page) but discusses the fact that the gap in their tour schedule for the month of June could be filled with a very short EU run.

I’m just thinking whether this will be to play a mainland European festival or two, or whether they will come to the UK in this period too.

I’m not sure whether they’d return to R&L. They didn’t reschedule in 2021.

Interesting, thanks. I'll take flutterings right now. COVID owes me this band. 

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Interesting, thanks. I'll take flutterings right now. COVID owes me this band. 

From what it’s worth some reliable posters in those forums believe that festivals like Werchter and HellFest had agreements for them to play in 2021 - so a June Euro festival tour was on the cards. Obviously the pandemic happened and their 2020 dates got rolled over so it’s unsure what happened with the Europe dates.

One to keep an eye on if they have indeed been in talks with some mainland Europe June festivals.

I had a ticket to see them at reading, so yeah, I really want to see them.

Edited by Matt42