Rage Against the Machine

O'Doyle Rules

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is it still on fire?

My most vivid memory of my first leeds festival in 2002 is witnessing a brown cloud of smoke roll its way over the campsite on monday morning.

The place was all the worst bits of Vietnam on sunday night.  Constant explosions, fight clubs opening up, feral drunk teenagers and heavy handed security - except one old boy who was surveying the carnage and sadly muttering "Every time I hear a gas cannister go off, a part of my soul dies".  

That probably did more to deter the people around us than anything else

2 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Had a quick look and it seems that there's a train from Reading to Paddington at 12.24am, 12.54am and then 2.24am. So it doesn't seem like you'd be stuck in Reading until the morning.

It's what I'm going to do anyway, unless anything changes with the trains due to it being a bank holiday.

Did this after the last time they headlined reading (2008?). Was only one train them, had to properly leg it, and when it turned up it only had 2 carriages.  And no toilet.  And stopped EVERYWHERE on the way home. Was packed full to ginnells of people with bursting bladders and rapidly incoming hangovers.

Fuck that was a grim end.

Oh hang on, then had to get the night bus from Paddington to Hackney.  Get a taxi!

(I'll probs be doing Leeds as I've moved to Sheffield... Anyone know how easy that is post-headliners?!)

9 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

We used to have loads of friends do this, bring a weekend ticket out to the main 'check point' and bingo they were in the campsite (At least) and then they could do what they wanted...surprised it lasted so long (until 2008 I think?)

That sounds about right, there was a huge crowd of us there for RATM. Then none of us saw The Killers except girlfriend & I, then we brought along camp chairs for Metallica. Don’t worry, we were having a little party watching them on middle big screen as none of us was a huge fan. Student days smuggling in cans in the camp chairs

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

My most vivid memory of my first leeds festival in 2002 is witnessing a brown cloud of smoke roll its way over the campsite on monday morning.

The place was all the worst bits of Vietnam on sunday night.  Constant explosions, fight clubs opening up, feral drunk teenagers and heavy handed security - except one old boy who was surveying the carnage and sadly muttering "Every time I hear a gas cannister go off, a part of my soul dies".  

That probably did more to deter the people around us than anything else

For those reasons that was my last Leeds festival having done every one from 1996 (back when it was V).  Has the move from Temple Newsam helped at all?

Edited by Jon F

4 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I'm the same - 12 years for me - just a Friday ticket. Wondering if I can catch IDLES and get beyond the barrier for Rage! 

Aaah man, I should have got a ticket for Leeds instead of Reading!

But yes, the idea of that combo is pretty exciting (if it works out logistically!)

Edited by Sasperella

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Cheers. It'll be 15 years since I went to Leeds when this gig comes around. I am looking forward to seeing how it's changed.

I've only been once, in 2004. So 16 years (a scary thought). I hated it. Mainly because it was raining the whole time and I only owned baggy jeans and skate shoes at that time in my life. Plus I went with a guy I was about to dump who annoyed the crap out of me for the whole weekend. 

I imagine a nice day trip will be much better. 

1 hour ago, Jon F said:

For those reasons that was my last Leeds festival having done every one from 1996 (back when it was V).  Has the move from Temple Newsam helped at all?

From what I remember of 03, and 04 there was still rioting and misbehaviour on the Sunday but it didn't seem as bad. 

I last went in 08 and was in crew camping so didn't  witness the full extent of the rioting at the time but had to deal with the aftermath. The place looked like an apocalyptic wasteland so o guess by that point not too much has changed.

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I've only been once, in 2004. So 16 years (a scary thought). I hated it. Mainly because it was raining the whole time and I only owned baggy jeans and skate shoes at that time in my life. Plus I went with a guy I was about to dump who annoyed the crap out of me for the whole weekend. 

I imagine a nice day trip will be much better. 

Tbh, you sound like you were dressed for it!

I  have been to 2 Leeds festivals previously... I enjoyed them. I can't deny that...

Reading-2005.jpg

1__k6v6at7bcphx-MBoUg4XQ.jpeg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Tbh, you sound like you were dressed for it!

I  have been to 2 Leeds festivals previously... I enjoyed them. I can't deny that...

Reading-2005.jpg

1__k6v6at7bcphx-MBoUg4XQ.jpeg

The lineups were just way better back then, weren't they?? What I wouldn't give for SOAD to turn up somewhere. 

And yes, I definitely thought I was dressed for it...but those baggy trousers* really did soak up the rain like no one's business and it gets a bit much after three days. I definitely learnt that lesson the hard way!

*I still wear jeans like this. 

History lesson to some of those that don’t know. MCR have an awful history with R&L.

In 2006 (I think it was) they were bottled and booed hard when the played. It was back when people used to bottle bands quite often 😕 I’m glad that festivals have dropped this stupid activity in the mean time.

I’ve also remembered that users on efestivals swore that MCR would not be headlining in 2011 because “no way they would accept a headline slot at a festival they were bottled at”.

Edited by Matt42

14 hours ago, Bisque said:

That sounds about right, there was a huge crowd of us there for RATM. Then none of us saw The Killers except girlfriend & I, then we brought along camp chairs for Metallica. Don’t worry, we were having a little party watching them on middle big screen as none of us was a huge fan. Student days smuggling in cans in the camp chairs

I didn't even go into the arena on the Saturday...spend all of it in the pub coming down off a tab of acid I'd taken after RATM and went straight to bed when I got back to the campsite.

Oh to be 26 again. :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Damn! 

I was just going to get  tickets for the Sunday in the Barclaycard presale and it looks like they're all gone! 

Serves me right for being last minute... I'm hoping the general sale doesn't sell out too! 

As long as you're on it this morning at 9am you should be ok. :)