Rage Against the Machine

O'Doyle Rules

1 hour ago, cdm22 said:

Interesting twitter thing going on here regarding the 14th August

Obviously they are not playing a bookshop and i'm not sure where the list came from anyway but a bit odd having a London date on the list full stop.

The list is on Rolling Stone. They photoshopped it in...

Actually, more likely they fucked around with the code on the website and screenshotted the result. But still. 

Edited by the wonderwhy
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

the "rock slot" is 3rd/4th down, on Friday.

Aerosmith playing on Saturday, so I'd be pretty surprised if they're anything other than subbing Macca.

I think the 'rock slot' has just moved with Aerosmith's requirements/demands. Can't see them scrabbling around to fill that one hour on Friday evening as well.

WRT them subbing: them playing a non-headline slot in any case is strange enough so they no longer have to be as high as possible up the bill. Essentially the same as Katy Perry three years ago.

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

The list is on Rolling Stone. They photoshopped it in...

Actually, more likely they fucked around with the code on the website and screenshotted the result. But still. 

Ah, fair enough. I did assume it was all nonsense but they did a pretty good job compared the normal crap posters :D

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't see RATM playing the Big G this year but I definitely could see them closing out the world tour cycle after doing the mid-year European circuit (Rock Am Ring, Nova, maybe Download, etc) Sunday night on the Pyramid in 2021. A symbolic way to close out the latest reunion.

Yeah I reckon they have to do the June - July European circuit next year after skipping it this year. The only problem is I reckon if they are even considering it, Download are probably preparing a tender right now.

I really hope they’d do Glastonbury. I think 

Rage Against the Machine

Fleetwood Mac

(the 1975 or George Ezra)

would be a great trio of headliners.

Quite keen to get a day ticket for Sunday reading now . Don’t have a barclaycard so will prob have to wait for general sale on Thursday.

if a couple of my mates are travelling from Bristol and a couple from London just for a Sunday day ticket , what’s the best way to make that work in practice? Cheap reading hotel? Do they run any late trains back to London etc?

Appreciate after typing this it’s prob a question for the reading forum but I’ve only ever posted on Glasto one here so I feel I am in a safe place ha 

8 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Still holding up the hope they could appear on the farm, if they can get Aerosmith to play 3rd/4th down, it's not outside the realms of possibility for RATM to headline the Other. If they wanted to play the festival but the headliners were booked by the time they made themselves available, they might just accept it. 

Would be mental and unprecedented but people were predicting Judas Priest for the rock slot and we've gotten Aerosmith. RATMA would definitely be a Pyramid level Other headliner for sure.

Don't want to burst any bubbles (I'm still hoping!) but I'd say it's unlikely given that they not only announced for Reading & Leeds but also Electric Picnic (Ireland) & Lollapalooza (Berlin) all of which are now run by Festival Republic. Festival Republic themselves are owned by Live Nation Entertainment in the US (which also owns Ticketmaster).

The commercial ladder of music festivals these days is actually pretty depressing when you look under the sheets and it makes me kind of sad to see RATM signing up (probably exclusively) with these festivals given what their political and social stance has always been.

That said, all this shows just how special Glasto really is and that makes me very happy ✌

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

if a couple of my mates are travelling from Bristol and a couple from London just for a Sunday day ticket , what’s the best way to make that work in practice? Cheap reading hotel? Do they run any late trains back to London etc?

Reading hotel & uber/lyft/taxi. No late trains afaik. Last train leaves during the headline set & traffic leaving the site I wouldn’t risk it. Plus it’s RATM so yeah hotel is best bet.

Back in the day mates used to get Friday tickets & camp until Sunday but there are now different entrances for day & camping tickets.

I can’t imagine an Ibis, Travelodge, Premier would be too expensive but prices will start to spike. Likewise for AirBnB. Get in early.

Or maybe consider staying somewhere out of Reading city but close enough where a taxi won’t be too extortionate & near a train station if that’s even a possibility.

4 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

the "rock slot" is 3rd/4th down, on Friday.

Aerosmith playing on Saturday, so I'd be pretty surprised if they're anything other than subbing Macca.

There's been a few different people saying they've heard that Aeorsmith are playing below sub headliner before their tour dates came out. We've also heard a few people say they've heard Noel G' is playing before Macca and they were before the tour dates. 

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

There's been a few different people saying they've heard that Aeorsmith are playing below sub headliner before their tour dates came out. We've also heard a few people say they've heard Noel G' is playing before Macca and they were before the tour dates. 

Have we actually heard the latter? Some fella on here with alleged connections to NG’s camp stated that he’s deffo playing Saturday (prior to this he was seen as a probable Other headliner), and if so it’s inconceivable that he’d play the Other in competition with Macca - therefore only the Pyramid made sense. It’s arguable as to who should sub Macca between him and Aerosmith, but some sources indicate that Aerosmith would be playing lower than expected, therefore it seems logical that NG subs Macca.

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't see RATM playing the Big G this year but I definitely could see them closing out the world tour cycle after doing the mid-year European circuit (Rock Am Ring, Nova, maybe Download, etc) Sunday night on the Pyramid in 2021. A symbolic way to close out the latest reunion.

18 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Have we actually heard the latter? Some fella on here with alleged connections to NG’s camp stated that he’s deffo playing Saturday (prior to this he was seen as a probable Other headliner), and if so it’s inconceivable that he’d play the Other in competition with Macca - therefore only the Pyramid made sense. It’s arguable as to who should sub Macca between him and Aerosmith, but some sources indicate that Aerosmith would be playing lower than expected, therefore it seems logical that NG subs Macca.

I think you've got Macca, Noel, female act, Aerosmith.

7 hours ago, Bisque said:

I can’t imagine an Ibis, Travelodge, Premier would be too expensive but prices will start to spike. Likewise for AirBnB. Get in early.

Two of my mates have booked an Ibis hotel for the Saturday night after Liam Gallagher and it was £189 for a twin room. :(

7 hours ago, Bisque said:

Back in the day mates used to get Friday tickets & camp until Sunday but there are now different entrances for day & camping tickets.

We used to have loads of friends do this, bring a weekend ticket out to the main 'check point' and bingo they were in the campsite (At least) and then they could do what they wanted...surprised it lasted so long (until 2008 I think?)

9 hours ago, LostHorizon said:

Don't want to burst any bubbles (I'm still hoping!) but I'd say it's unlikely given that they not only announced for Reading & Leeds but also Electric Picnic (Ireland) & Lollapalooza (Berlin) all of which are now run by Festival Republic. Festival Republic themselves are owned by Live Nation Entertainment in the US (which also owns Ticketmaster).

The commercial ladder of music festivals these days is actually pretty depressing when you look under the sheets and it makes me kind of sad to see RATM signing up (probably exclusively) with these festivals given what their political and social stance has always been.

That said, all this shows just how special Glasto really is and that makes me very happy ✌

Theyve been asked about these kinda of things time and time again. Even when they signed to a major label. Zach De La Rocha responded one time saying that they have an easier time bringing it all down from the inside rather then being on the outside. So what if they signed a Live Nation contract, theyre still being given a platform for their message and a big one at that. Same goes for Coachella, plenty of eyeballs will be on them come April. And they still havent even announced what theyll be doing for the Democratic and Republican conventions in the states which they allotted space on their calendar to do so.  They arent Pearl Jam, so dont knock em down a notch.

Edited by Suprefan

27 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Bought myself a Friday day ticket. I cant finish work til 4 that day, but Im looking at it as Rage gig. I'd have paid £80, so I am pleased enough.

Is there a barrier now at Leeds?  Back in my day, you could just get down the front! Looking at photos there is a barrier.

Going to do something similar myself! Yeah there is a barrier about a third in at Leeds. It still wasnt hard to just walk straight in on the Foos day last year  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Bought myself a Friday day ticket. I cant finish work til 4 that day, but Im looking at it as Rage gig. I'd have paid £80, so I am pleased enough.

Is there a barrier now at Leeds?  Back in my day, you could just get down the front! Looking at photos there is a barrier.

The barrier was introduced a while back I think, but the restricted access/manned gates into the pit area were new last year. It won't be a problem if you turn up in good time tho. I was in the pit area for Kendrick in 2018 and it was very, very unpleasant - complete crush. I think it's a good thing personally. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, internetjef said:

Quite keen to get a day ticket for Sunday reading now . Don’t have a barclaycard so will prob have to wait for general sale on Thursday.

Appreciate after typing this it’s prob a question for the reading forum but I’ve only ever posted on Glasto one here so I feel I am in a safe place ha 

As ridiculous as it sounds I’d look into a taxi back to London, I’ve done it twice after day trips (not since 2012) with 4 people and it was only about £20 each. Ring the local Reading firms and pre book. It will almost certainly be cheaper than a hotel, just remember to have a wee before you get in! One guy let us stop at a petrol station and buy cans for the journey then we went to a club when we got back (oh to be in my 20’s again)

29 minutes ago, Luke Routledge said:

Going to do something similar myself! Yeah there is a barrier about a third in at Leeds. It still wasnt hard to just walk straight in on the Foos day last year  

Cheers. It'll be 15 years since I went to Leeds when this gig comes around. I am looking forward to seeing how it's changed.

14 hours ago, internetjef said:

Do they run any late trains back to London etc?

Had a quick look and it seems that there's a train from Reading to Paddington at 12.24am, 12.54am and then 2.24am. So it doesn't seem like you'd be stuck in Reading until the morning.

It's what I'm going to do anyway, unless anything changes with the trains due to it being a bank holiday.

Edited by aidenlangan95

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Cheers. It'll be 15 years since I went to Leeds when this gig comes around. I am looking forward to seeing how it's changed.

I'm the same - 12 years for me - just a Friday ticket. Wondering if I can catch IDLES and get beyond the barrier for Rage! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

I'm the same - 12 years for me - just a Friday ticket. Wondering if I can catch IDLES and get beyond the barrier for Rage! 

My plan too.

I know this is early but - as I said earlier I will be getting a train at about 16:30 from Manchester Picc due to work. I will then get a taxi to the festival. It's going to cost about £25 I suspect. If anyone else is in the same boat / train as me and fancies joining in the taxi we can split the fare? I am meeting people in the festival who have managed to get the day off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My plan too.

I know this is early but - as I said earlier I will be getting a train at about 16:30 from Manchester Picc due to work. I will then get a taxi to the festival. It's going to cost about £25 I suspect. If anyone else is in the same boat / train as me and fancies joining in the taxi we can split the fare? I am meeting people in the festival who have managed to get the day off.

We've not planned that far but I'll be off for the summer. I was looking at Big Green Coaches day return as I can't see any of my mates driving it. 

Just on my way to Manchester now for FCATR!

Edited by vintagelaureate