Rage Against the Machine

O'Doyle Rules

7 minutes ago, incident said:

Oh yeah, if it's fake someone definitely deserves credit for a great effort. The only holes I can spot are the lack of anyone else noticing it (leading me to think it probably wasn't really posted to their Instagram account) and the fact they've listed Ireland in the "United Kingdom" section, which is a mistake I don't think RATM would make.

The UK/Ireland thing is true, but it does list "IR" next to Dublin....

1 minute ago, RonanM said:

Irish rock/metal site Overdrive is hyping a "huge" announcement for ireland coming on Tuesday at 7pm Irish time.... this is also the same time Hellfest announces their lineup... both locations are on the poster. 

Would be worth posting that over in the 2020 headliners thread ?

On 11/5/2019 at 7:10 PM, ogriff said:

This, my friends, was the gig to be at.  For the launch of the Battle of LA.  1,000 people going absolutely mental. Most viceral gig I've been to, bar none. Finsbury park was like a joyful valedictory lap in comparison.

For those that remember the Astoria (they bulldozed it for crossrail I think), you could choose on entry if you wanted to go to the balcony or the pit, there was no system to force you to one or the other. It felt like everyone was downstairs. Couldn't get to the bar or toilet if you wanted to. No space for circle-pits, just a heaving mass. 

Can't believe it was 20 years ago!

the Astoria was a fantastic venue, went to some great gigs there - in fact, i went to my first ever gig there, Morbid Angel in '91.

it is a real shame that so many london venues have been lost.

i did not go to the RATM gig at the Astoria, but i did see them at Brixton Academy with Tool and Wool supporting, which i think was 93 or 94?

anyone else on here go to that one?

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, ogriff said:

Wasn't that downstairs, where they did the indie disco when G.A.Y was on? 

Astoria 2 or LA2 was was below the Astoria and that row of shops, the entrance was a doorway that lead straight downstairs.

they were two different venues.

i once saw Wildhearts supporting Napalm Death at the Astoria but for that night they changed their name to Gingers Angry Youth so they could play under the G.A.Y sign.

aaaah great days...

27 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep - my guess is that it's fake, but I'm only about 60% on that. If it's fake, it's definitely one of the most well thought out ones I've seen.

I reverse image searched the Trump illustration, and it doesn't appear on any other websites. So if it is a fake, the artist has really gone above and beyond. In fact, whoever made it deserves to be rewarded... with a RATM set at Glastonbury.

4 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Dates match for rock am ring and hellfest

2 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

I reverse image searched the Trump illustration, and it doesn't appear on any other websites. So if it is a fake, the artist has really gone above and beyond. In fact, whoever made it deserves to be rewarded... with a RATM set at Glastonbury

Oh my god. Now I'm actually letting myself believe it's real...fuck!

20 minutes ago, RonanM said:

Irish rock/metal site Overdrive is hyping a "huge" announcement for ireland coming on Tuesday at 7pm Irish time.... this is also the same time Hellfest announces their lineup... both locations are on the poster. 

Hmmm so what would the deal be with Rage's own announcement? Surely they couldn't out the Somerset date on a poster until March?? Bands that big don't normally self confirm, do they?

So would we expect them to drop a poster minus some dates...or have dates drip fed for a bit? If the latter, it seems odd the poster would be ready so early. 

Just trying to work out if we could expect a similar poster without the Glasto date in a few weeks. And then BAM, surely we'd know it was legit?

19 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

Astoria 2 or LA2 was was below the Astoria and that row of shops, the entrance was a doorway that lead straight downstairs.

they were two different venues.

i once saw Wildhearts supporting Napalm Death at the Astoria but for that night they changed their name to Gingers Angry Youth so they could play under the G.A.Y sign.

aaaah great days...

I did my work experience at the Astoria and Mean Fiddler, in 2003. Saw some great shows over that two weeks. I also went to a lot of shows at both venues as well. Shame both of them for bulldozed.