Rage Against the Machine

O'Doyle Rules

I've loved Rage since their debut came out, saw them 4th down at Reading in 2000, then return as headliner in 2008 followed by the Finsbury Park gig. I don't think they are a Pyramid headliner, surely Other stage? I'd watch them either way but pyramid would seem weird.

9 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Fair enough - I fully appreciate that I was within the Reading bubble that we're talking about so will have a pretty bias view. This has reminded me about the whole line up, at the time I couldn't have asked for any more

Image result for reading 2008 line up

Oh to have been older than being something like 14/15 at that time. I remember watching loads of this weekend's available stuff on TV/YouTube and getting insanely jealous.

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and yet in 2000(?) the crowd for them wasn't the biggest.

They're a hard act to judge because they were very niche until the anti-X-Factor thing, and it's hard to know how much of that went beyond novelty value.

I can't see them causing much of a stir for Reading Festival nowadays.

Still looked rowdy and fairly big in YouTube footage for 2000, but it does seem peculiar they went from sub in 1993 and night-time headliner in 1996 to playing a daytime spot before Eminem (unless that was the year he pulled out?), Slipknot, Placebo and Stereophonics in 2000. Though setlist.fm archive says they were still big enough to have played Wembley Arena in 2000 tbf.

I like the riffs on the self-titled album and Battle of LA, tbf. If they were to do All Points East, I'd be up for that. Assuming they've fixed their sound system that was a bit of a let down during The Strokes.

36 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Oh to have been older than being something like 14/15 at that time. I remember watching loads of this weekend's available stuff on TV/YouTube and getting insanely jealous.

Still looked rowdy and fairly big in YouTube footage for 2000, but it does seem peculiar they went from sub in 1993 and night-time headliner in 1996 to playing a daytime spot before Eminem (unless that was the year he pulled out?), Slipknot, Placebo and Stereophonics in 2000. Though setlist.fm archive says they were still big enough to have played Wembley Arena in 2000 tbf.

I like the riffs on the self-titled album and Battle of LA, tbf. If they were to do All Points East, I'd be up for that. Assuming they've fixed their sound system that was a bit of a let down during The Strokes.

If I remember correctly they knew they were going to break up (ie. doing some final dates) and asked very late in the day to be let on the bill. 

Never properly fact checked it, granted, but it seemed to make sense. 

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

There was a story about how Rage were a last minute addition to the line up in 2000 as they wanted to play the fest, Eminem had pulled out that year but they were added before he pulled out though. 

9 hours ago, zeppelin said:

If I remember correctly they knew they were going to break up (ie. doing some final dates) and asked very late in the day to be let on the bill. 

I thought they broke up after de la Rocha quit the band due to telling Tim not to do the attention seeking stunt at the MTV awards, he was completely ignored so he felt like he said no say in the band. Although I'd imagine that was the final straw rather than the sole cause but the impression I got it was a more abrupt split than a planned one.

22 minutes ago, jump said:

I thought they broke up after de la Rocha quit the band due to telling Tim not to do the attention seeking stunt at the MTV awards, he was completely ignored so he felt like he said no say in the band. Although I'd imagine that was the final straw rather than the sole cause but the impression I got it was a more abrupt split than a planned one.

Hmm so I've had a quick Google and can't really find anything to substantiate my claim (shock horror!) but it does seem that Reading was their last UK performance and rumours had been rife about a split for months. So there still could be something in it. 

They officially split six weeks after reading when ZDLR quit though, so you're 100% correct in that. 

6 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

I've had bombtrack stuck in my head all day, I need more tour dates announced ASAP.

Hoping that now MCR have reunited and announced a NEW Zealand show Rage will do the same. A girl can dream!

The problem is that NZ has a relatively stable and progressive political situation at the moment, not the insane shower currently occurring in the US and here... Not sure what RATM could get riled up about...

Colin Murray has a funny story about RATM, when he was compering Leeds in 2008 there was a lad who was volunteering behind the scenes. He was driving bands back and forth to the stages in a golf cart, turned out he was an absolutely huge Rage fan. He wasn’t able to watch their set due to I’m having to work but got asked to take Zack De La Rocha and his mum to the main stage, when they were in the cart he was asked by De La Rocha about his music taste and he proclaimed to him that he was a huge fan but couldn’t see their set because he was working. Zack De La Rocha then got on the walkie talkie to his boss to tell him that Zack De La Rocha had just employed him as a security guard for his mum for the 90 mins of their set, he got to see them from the side of the stage and when they finished he went back to work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

The problem is that NZ has a relatively stable and progressive political situation at the moment, not the insane shower currently occurring in the US and here... Not sure what RATM could get riled up about...

They played Big Day Out in 2008, when we also had a relatively stable and progressive political situation. My Husband was there and it's still his favourite set (concert or festival).

37 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

NZisa tough place to live if you like gigs, a lot of bands don’t bother.

Yup, and you generally have to go to Auckland. It takes a lot for me to travel for a gig to Auckland, the last one was a comedy gig a couple of months ago (Fred Armisen),  but before that it was Florence + the Machine in January.

We get a few good oldies at winery tours (saw Toto and Jefferson Starship at a vinyard). Imagine RATM doing a gig at a fancy vinyard ?

23 hours ago, zeppelin said:

12 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Hmm so I've had a quick Google and can't really find anything to substantiate my claim (shock horror!) but it does seem that Reading was their last UK performance and rumours had been rife about a split for months. So there still could be something in it. 

They officially split six weeks after reading when ZDLR quit though, so you're 100% correct in that. 

The Wiki line is "creative differences" and reading an NME profile on their influences does make me think there's plenty of scope for it that it was probably in the offing even before the incident at the MTV Awards. Tom Morello went on Beats and said they were pulling too hard in opposite directions and just weren't sensitive to one another's requirements.

13 hours ago, jump said:

There was a story about how Rage were a last minute addition to the line up in 2000 as they wanted to play the fest, Eminem had pulled out that year but they were added before he pulled out though. 

Maybe that's the case.

The line-up poster I did see did feature Eminem between Slipknot and RATM. Though isn't that the famous one where Daphne & Celeste joined the bill late and got bottled off?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:00 PM, charlierc said:

The line-up poster I did see did feature Eminem between Slipknot and RATM. Though isn't that the famous one where Daphne & Celeste joined the bill late and got bottled off?

When did the whole bottling act stop? does it still happen? I was looking at the lineup poster the year 50 cent was on and I seem to remember 3/4 acts being bottled off the main stage that weekend, kids are brutal.. (full disclosure: I may or may not have been one of those kids)