Rage Against the Machine

O'Doyle Rules

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm thinking it'll be around a sell-out, but I also reckon it'd be a brave promoter who did a bigger show for them because I reckon it'd be a gamble.

Which is why I said APE is about right.

I reckon they could sell out a stadium on their own as a UK exclusive. 40,000 tickets would go within 30 mins, imo. I hope I am wrong though as missing out would be unthinkable.

I hope they dont play Glastonbury as I would prefer to see them on their own card. Would be insane!! (And I get another weekend away.....)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

If RATM played APE I could see them selling out at £70 a ticket without anyone one the undercard if it is a UK exclusive (or even not extensive in Europe)

When they played Reading, day tickets where changing hands for £600

and yet in 2000(?) the crowd for them wasn't the biggest.

They're a hard act to judge because they were very niche until the anti-X-Factor thing, and it's hard to know how much of that went beyond novelty value.

I can't see them causing much of a stir for Reading Festival nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I reckon they could sell out a stadium on their own as a UK exclusive. 40,000 tickets would go within 30 mins, imo. I hope I am wrong though as missing out would be unthinkable.

I hope they dont play Glastonbury as I would prefer to see them on their own card. Would be insane!! (And I get another weekend away.....)

Yep, one show with 40,000 tickets not much of a problem, but if you doubled that up and excluded people from going to both shows, would that 2nd show sell? I'm not convinced it would.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They're a hard act to judge because they were very niche until the anti-X-Factor thing, and it's hard to know how much of that went beyond novelty value.

Maybe it was just that the niche was pretty much the Reading goers of 2008 (I appreciate that is not the same as Reading goers now). That was the year before the X Factor Christmas number one thing.

I'd have thought the niche is big enough, and still exists even if it is just most of the same people who were in it back then (or the first time around for that matter).

It won't be as big as 10 years ago but it'll still be substantial, especially with the shit show that is global politics at the moment.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

And let's not forget the very affordable ticket price in 2010 for Finsbury park... That must have swayed a few people.

Edited by maelzoid
clarity

The thing, in my opinion, with RATM is that they have a LOT of young fans. They crossed that line into Metallica/RHCP/GnR/whoever tier where if you start listening to rock you gotta listen to. So their fanbase grew over the '00s and '10s without them really doing anything

Edited by Nicklord

I have my concerns about RATM playing in Other as headliners. If they play, they will be in the Pyramid and for sure they will pack it. I have some faith about being them the third headliner, if the festival wans I am sure they will play but the issue here is apparently they are in negotiations for the third one (Macca?)...

RATM - Taylor - Kendrick all the way!

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Maybe it was just that the niche was pretty much the Reading goers of 2008 (I appreciate that is not the same as Reading goers now). That was the year before the X Factor Christmas number one thing.

I don't really remember them being that much of a big deal at T in the Park that year so I think it says something about Reading's appetite for heavier music.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

I don't really remember them being that much of a big deal at T in the Park that year so I think it says something about Reading's appetite for heavier music.

Fair enough - I fully appreciate that I was within the Reading bubble that we're talking about so will have a pretty bias view. This has reminded me about the whole line up, at the time I couldn't have asked for any more

Image result for reading 2008 line up

15 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Fair enough - I fully appreciate that I was within the Reading bubble that we're talking about so will have a pretty bias view. This has reminded me about the whole line up, at the time I couldn't have asked for any more

Great line up at the time but the Sunday main stage became a bit of a train wreck on the day though. Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold pulled out, an unknown (at the time) Bring Me The Horizon were added (and then bottled) and the order was messed up as some bands were late, Mindless Self Indulgence end up playing ridiculously high.

The Saturday Lock Up stage was superb too.

I'm terrible at estimating the appeal of bands, but going off this thread, Rage are now a much bigger attraction than they were when they were an actual band who made music.  Which is mental but not unique, I suppose.  I'd go and see them, it's been 25 years since I did, but not for 70 sheets in some park in London.

17 minutes ago, jump said:

Great line up at the time but the Sunday main stage became a bit of a train wreck on the day though. Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold pulled out, an unknown (at the time) Bring Me The Horizon were added (and then bottled) and the order was messed up as some bands were late, Mindless Self Indulgence end up playing ridiculously high.

The Saturday Lock Up stage was superb too.

Yeah I remember being disappointed about Slipknot but was never bothered about Avenged. 

Didn't take a lot to kick off a mass bottling in those days!

I'm surprise by all the comments about Rage Against The Machine not being big in their day. I was too young for Rage in the 90s to properly comment of their popularity then but they were playing arenas back (I remember being a tween and wanting to go to their Wembley show) and they split up less than a year after their 3rd album came out which was very popular. In between them breaking up and reforming they had their videos playing on MTV2 regularly, being played in rock/metal club nights etc.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Same bookers as this then. Was at it that year. Top end stuff. 

large_14fc504c30e44319d8cff3f09d32b2ac.p

Rage were great until we had to move when two Dutch blokes started beating the piss out of each other.

Edited by The Nal

4 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Think I'd still prefer T's offering.  The Chems and The Prodidgy are pretty great 2nd stage headliners.

tinthepark.jpg

• Upvote 1

This, my friends, was the gig to be at.  For the launch of the Battle of LA.  1,000 people going absolutely mental. Most viceral gig I've been to, bar none. Finsbury park was like a joyful valedictory lap in comparison.

For those that remember the Astoria (they bulldozed it for crossrail I think), you could choose on entry if you wanted to go to the balcony or the pit, there was no system to force you to one or the other. It felt like everyone was downstairs. Couldn't get to the bar or toilet if you wanted to. No space for circle-pits, just a heaving mass. 

Can't believe it was 20 years ago!

IMG_20190829_204353632.jpg

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ah, my first TITP. And what a great weekend it was. Nowhere better than a rammed Slam tent, either. That place went off! 

Best weekend ever! Chems, RATM and Prodigy as headliners. 

Errol Alkan, Justice, dubfire, Hawtin plus many more in Slam tent. 

Ah, take me back immediately 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Best weekend ever! Chems, RATM and Prodigy as headliners. 

Errol Alkan, Justice, dubfire, Hawtin plus many more in Slam tent. 

Ah, take me back immediately 

I drove a 1000 mile found trip for that lineup. Still ranks as one of my best festival weekends ever