Matt42

Other Stage 2020

2 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

The Lighthouse >

Thought this would've been nominated, probably my second favourite film of 2019. 

Joker and Hollywood very overrated. 

Burning, Parasite and The Lighthouse were all incredible. 

Uncut Gems, Marriage Story and 1917, very good

Edit: Bait was also incredible. 

Edited by Guy Incognito

10 minutes ago, petewilson09 said:

They certainly weren't 'the best live act at tye moment' when I saw them at first direct arena a couple of months back. 

They come on stage,  play theirr stuff well enough but there was no atmosphere, it was just a bit nothing, kinda like they are just going through the motions. 

It also is like they play the same song over and over for an hour or so (but i guess thats a whole over thing)

Officially my first misquote - Congratulations! 

I've not been to first direct but I've seen them at a variety of venues and the atmosphere has always been electric! My guess here is that they aren't a band you particularly enjoy listening to and so didn't resonate with their performance :)

4 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Joker and Hollywood very overrated. 

Burning, Parasite and The Lighthouse were all incredible. 

Uncut Gems, Marriage Story and 1917, very good

Uncut Gems is a horribly stressful watch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MikeandSan said:

If you dont think Taylor Swift is headline material you know nothing about music and festivals (I don't enjoy her music for the record).

Yeah exactly. I personally think she's shit, but can't deny she's a global superstar and is very obviously a fitting headliner.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not seen Parasite but want to.

Turned Uncut Gems off after half an hour, was just a barrage of people shouting at each other with a distractingly loud synth soundtrack in the background.

I thought OUATIH was a bloated, self indulgent mess too.

Stick at Uncut Gems. It doesn't stop being a barrage of people shouting at each other, but that's kind of the point, and it only gets better as the film goes on.

Get Parasite watched, best film I've seen in years, really delighted it swept the Oscars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I liked parasite but it got a little bit too silly at points. (Those who have seen it will know what I mean).

It's don't think it's fair to class absurdity as silliness (even if the terms are almost synonyms).

Saw this forum had become a hot topic, and thought we had some news, but no just people discussing the oscars! FWIW I have only watched 3 of the films, so I would put them in the order

Joker

Hollywood

With regards to Catfish, I am a big fan, all their songs are very similar, but if you like that sound then you're sorted (Which I do), but they do have a great atmosphere live, seen them multiple times, and the crowd is always jumping and going mad, so feel like you have yo enjoy their sound to feel the atmosphere live, I will say however that they are attracting the wrong crowd of young people wanting to start fights and throw bodily fluids

39 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

There's been some talk. Not highly rated as a band on here so it was kinda a one and done of 'they'll probably be there' and thats where the conversation ended.

Would be surprised to see a sub set on The Other Stage/Third on Friday Pyramid. 

That makes perfect sense, cheers for that! :)

5 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

All of you are sleeping on Jojo Rabbit and it really shows. 

In my opinion JoJo was good, but not great. 

If we are gonna talk about a film that people are sleeping on, then it's Burning. bait too.

Edited by Guy Incognito

Uncut Gems, Marriage Story and The Lighthouse are my 1-2-3 of the year. I haven't seen Parasite yet. I Lost My Body, The Two Popes, High Life and Pain and Glory also all fantastic.

And for anyone who did enjoy Uncut Gems - if you haven't already I strongly recommend Good Time, which can currently be found on Netflix. IMHO it's actually better than Uncut Gems. And I really enjoyed that.

The avengers was my fave film of last year. I still can't believe they killed off Iron Man and Black Widow, that cut me up 😭

21 minutes ago, mike86 said:

Uncut Gems is a horribly stressful watch. 

I managed about an hour of it last night before I had to turn it off.  I was not in the mood for the amount of stress and anxiety the film was giving me.  That's not to say it was bad but just wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it.

Fortunately I'm nowhere near as stressed now so will give it another go.  I've always enjoyed Adam Sandler's dramatic roles so hopefully I'll enjoy it more this time around

23 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Stick at Uncut Gems. It doesn't stop being a barrage of people shouting at each other, but that's kind of the point, and it only gets better as the film goes on.

Get Parasite watched, best film I've seen in years, really delighted it swept the Oscars.

Hard agree on both these points

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The avengers was my fave film of last year. I still can't believe they killed off Iron Man and Black Widow, that cut me up 😭

Aye, definitely the film I enjoyed most.

17 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

If we are gonna talk about a film that people are sleeping on, then it's Burning. bait too.

Both great. Steven Yeun just nailing an enigmatic and slightly creepy performance in a whole different language. And not a single award going his way. 

4 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Both great. Steven Yeun just nailing an enigmatic and slightly creepy performance in a whole different language. And not a single award going his way. 

Agreed. Everything about Burning was perfect. 

Edited by Guy Incognito

32 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

The real tragedy is The Farewell being snubbed.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Chernobyl is an odd pick for favourite film.

The website includes Chernobyl for some reason, same for Twin Peaks and the return 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

The Lighthouse >

Sorry, realise this thread is already quite derailed, but can I just ask - would you say it's much better to watch this in the cinema than, say, if I could somehow watch it at home?