Other Stage 2020

Matt42

On 11/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, eFestivals said:

I think headlining is quite possible - as the reward for Pilton Party tends to be a higher slot than they might otherwise get.

Were Rudimental back in 2015 (?) the last band to play PP and headline the Other Stage?

Whilst I agree with your logic, it does seem a bit odd if Emily specifically 'hyped up' the Other Stage headliners as big and then went for an act who are probably on the smaller side of Other Stage headliners.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Would that be safe? I reckon Noel would get a bigger crown than KL

Nah, Kendrick is pretty much the biggest and most respected rap artist in the world at the moment. He'll get a massive crowd. Noel would be a good alternative for the crowd into guitar music.

Edited by jannybruck

Unless an act on the Pyramid gets a tiny crowd (no headliner would), there would never be an issue re: Other stage.

Metallica got a small Pyramid headline crowd by all accounts (I was near the front so couldnt tell) & the estimates were of a good 50,000 there. Even if a headliner got that, it's a sizeable chunk of people, without those at WH, JP, Park, SE Corner, Avalon etc for there to be an issue at the other stage.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

So last night we fleetingly had the potential for RATM and now this is the offering. 

FML. 

I know, right. 

I let myself go for a second to Foals, RATM and The Prodigy. The above would mean a clean sweep of the 6 main headliners not being to my taste. 

Thankfully the above 3 are unlikely if we ate taking Emily's comments at face value... but I'm not sure I quite believe her. 

14 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Unless an act on the Pyramid gets a tiny crowd (no headliner would), there would never be an issue re: Other stage.

Metallica got a small Pyramid headline crowd by all accounts (I was near the front so couldnt tell) & the estimates were of a good 50,000 there. Even if a headliner got that, it's a sizeable chunk of people, without those at WH, JP, Park, SE Corner, Avalon etc for there to be an issue at the other stage.

Does anyone know roughly what size crowd Stormzy got? I was at Tame Impala and it seemed very busy

46 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Nah, Kendrick is pretty much the biggest and most respected rap artist in the world at the moment. He'll get a massive crowd. Noel would be a good alternative for the crowd into guitar music.

most respected he may be, but he's not the biggest, especially in the UK. Drake and Eminem both outsold him in 2017 when he last had an album out (Drake with a "mixtape"), and Drake comfortably outsells him on each album. Post Malone outsells Kendrick in the UK too.

15 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I know, right. 

I let myself go for a second to Foals, RATM and The Prodigy. The above would mean a clean sweep of the 6 main headliners not being to my taste

Thankfully the above 3 are unlikely if we ate taking Emily's comments at face value... but I'm not sure I quite believe her. 

I have to ask, seeing as those 6 are some of the biggest hip hop, rock, dance, pop acts in the world, what would satisfy your taste?

Just now, LGH said:

I have to ask, seeing as those 6 are some of the biggest hip hop, rock, dance, pop acts in the world, what would satisfy your taste?

Well I have put three on there already for starters. 

I could put about 20 artists up, but I'll state realiatic others in the required genres from Pyramid this year. 

Eminem, Fleetwood Mac/Elton, Lady Gaga. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Well I have put three on there already for starters. 

I could put about 20 artists up, but I'll state realiatic others in the required genres from Pyramid this year. 

Eminem, Fleetwood Mac/Elton, Lady Gaga. 

I think I misread your comment. 

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

most respected he may be, but he's not the biggest, especially in the UK. Drake and Eminem both outsold him in 2017 when he last had an album out (Drake with a "mixtape"), and Drake comfortably outsells him on each album. Post Malone outsells Kendrick in the UK too.

Noel Gallagher has also out sold him with his solo albums in the UK, nevermind his oasis stuff. Now they may be on different  career trajectories but Noel Gallagher has played more arenas, bigger crowds and sold more records in this country than KL. He is also far more of a household name.

It would be a bit of a stupid move to put Noel up against KL really.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Noel Gallagher has also out sold him with his solo albums in the UK, nevermind his oasis stuff. Now they may be on different  career trajectories but Noel Gallagher has played more arenas, bigger crowds and sold more records in this country than KL. He is also far more of a household name.

It would be a bit of a stupid move to put Noel up against KL really.

So why not Noel on the Pyramid supported by KL? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

i don't for one minute think they would put Noel on at the same time as KL. I think Noel will sub Macca on the Saturday.

Yeah Noel’s got a massive ego no way he’s taking a slot that isn’t Other Headliner, Pyramid Sub or Pyramid Headliner. You’ve gotta think about it from his point of view who he’d accept subbing to. Paul McCartney? Obviously he would accept that. People forget how big he is also, everyone of his album has gone to number 1. In a row.

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure why they wouldn't have him as an Other Stage headliner. Anyyhing that gets me out of having to see any of him whilst getting a decent spot for Macca.

Its not the other headliner that is the issue I don't think, its more who he would be up against that would be the issue.

In theory, sticking an aging guitar plodder up against the fresh and exciting Hip Hop star on the pyramid seems the perfect combination. Problem is the aging plodder is Noel Gallagher, who is a far bigger deal in this country than the Hip Hop star.

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

205,000 people descending on the Other for a singalong to Little By Little.

You're just being ridiculous now. I would not watch either  Noel or KL but there will be a lot more people at Glastonbury who could sing Wonderwall or Don't Look Back in Anger thank any KL song.

I appreciate NG is not very popular on this board, I don't particulary like the bloke myself. Yet when he speaks its headline news in this country. 

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You're just being ridiculous now. I would not watch either  Noel or KL but there will be a lot more people at Glastonbury who could sing Wonderwall or Don't Look Back in Anger thank any KL song.

I appreciate NG is not very popular on this board, I don't particulary like the bloke myself. Yet when he speaks its headline news in this country. 

I actually like Noel and am a fan of his solo work. He’ll draw a big crowd to the Other, but it won’t be ridiculous, there’s simply too much on everywhere else.