Other Stage 2020

Matt42

15 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

This info is definitely bollocks though.

1. Dua Lipa, whilst she is definitely big enough for the Other headline slot, would be much better suited to playing on the Pyramid, even if it was 3rd/4th down. It's feasible, but I doubt it would happen.

2. I don't see how Yannis would know about two of the headliners if his band wasn't booked. And if he did, why would he so openly give the information out?

3. Why would he talk about actively wanting to headline the Other Stage this/next year? There's been lots of talk of them headlining the Pyramid, which they've addressed in interviews. They reckon they're big enough and they know they'd smash it. The narrative runs very differently here.

4. I cannot see The 1975 playing Other in 2020 under any circumstances.

5. Pab... no, I won't say it.

The most crucial thing is I don't know where he'd get that info from.

Point 2 is additionally suspect given it says 'they never got a call' to headline the Other, maybe if they'd been negotiating they might have an idea who the other acts are, but if they weren't contacted there's no reason for him to know?

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm I wouldn’t rule out 1975 headlining the other.

Me neither. Lest we forget they took a lower slot than they probably deserved in 2016 on the same stage. They don't seem to have much of an ego in that regard. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Me neither. Lest we forget they took a lower slot than they probably deserved in 2016 on the same stage. They don't seem to have much of an ego in that regard. 

Wasn’t that essentially so they wouldn’t lose any of their crowd to Adele/people waiting for Adele? Or at least that was the general thought on here.

13 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Point 2 is additionally suspect given it says 'they never got a call' to headline the Other, maybe if they'd been negotiating they might have an idea who the other acts are, but if they weren't contacted there's no reason for him to know?

Precisely. What would he say? "Oh nah, we wanted to headline the Other this year or next year but they didn't call us. They called The 1975 and Dua Lipa instead." Seems pretty fishy.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I just think Dua headlining the Other stage is not quite right. Might have egg on my face if it’s true and she does fit Emily’s hints - but it just seems a weird spot to put someone who will be the face of a lot of the BBC coverage.

Putting my tin foil hat on for a second, what if Dua is headlining the Other opposite an artist who doesn't want their Pyramid set broadcast live?

21 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Precisely. What would he say? "Oh nah, we wanted to headline the Other this year or next year but they didn't call us. They called The 1975 and Dua Lipa instead." Seems pretty fishy.

This info may not be public knowledge but people in bands tend to talk to other people in bands, people at labels may know things that slip out...

It's really not inconceivable that Yannis knows this stuff just by being in the industry.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Putting my tin foil hat on for a second, what if Dua is headlining the Other opposite an artist who doesn't want their Pyramid set broadcast live?

Kendrick / PJ / RATM 

Haven't all declined UK/BBC filming permissions before for shows?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

This info may not be public knowledge but people in bands tend to talk to other people in bands, people at labels may know things that slip out...

It's really not inconceivable that Yannis knows this stuff just by being in the industry.

Hmmm, the one thing I do find believable is Yannis spilling the beans annoyed cause they weren't booked 

2 minutes ago, zero000 said:

When was the last time an artist refused to be filmed at all for Glastonbury? Maybe Massive Attack in 2014? Doesn't seem to happen that frequently, nor with Pyramid Headliners.

Mik Artistik gets very prickly about it. Proper diva. Why you never see the BBC in Croissant Neuf

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, zero000 said:

When was the last time an artist refused to be filmed at all for Glastonbury? Maybe Massive Attack in 2014? Doesn't seem to happen that frequently, nor with Pyramid Headliners.

In terms of not allowing filming at all, the last major Pyramid act that springs to mind is Leonard Cohen - only a cut down number of cameras were used in order to supply pictures to the screens, and the BBC weren't even allowed to record that, let alone broadcast anything.

Though reportedly Neil Young came very, very close to doing the same thing headlining the following year - apparently he only agreed that the BBC could film it right at the last minute, and even then only allowed (I think) 3 songs to be broadcast.

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fair point.

Still don't see why he'd go brandishing that information to the public, mind.

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

1. Dua Lipa, whilst she is definitely big enough for the Other headline slot, would be much better suited to playing on the Pyramid, even if it was 3rd/4th down. It's feasible, but I doubt it would happen.

I agree she's better suited for the Pyramid, but unless you can think of another female (or female-heavy) act that might headline the other this year, I reckon she might be doing it.

Cos i reckon they'll try and have a female act as one of the Other headliners.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I agree she's better suited for the Pyramid, but unless you can think of another female (or female-heavy) act that might headline the other this year, I reckon she might be doing it.

Don't think they'd force it, especially if they've got a female artist headlining the Pyramid (Taylor).

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Wait what’s the reason that you can’t comment and is it worthy of a rumour?