Other Stage 2020

Matt42

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Emily chooses her words very carefully. This is what she actually said....

“…and then we’ve got our Other Stage headliners, which are amazing,” she said. “I think particularly because it’s the 50th, we’ve got kind of Pyramid level headliners on the Other Stage next year.”

Note the ‘kind of’. Youre looking at acts that could maybe headline the Pyramid at a push but be a fairly small act to get that gig.

I've posted this article before but in 2017 she said “I feel like Biffy Clyro, Katy Perry, The National, The xx, Major Lazer – they’re all bands that could headline really", as well as namechecking Royal Blood and alt-J as potential headliners. I'd say Royal Blood, Calvin Harris and Pet Shop Boys all fit within that sort of bracket. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They get those spots on being dance acts that can close a main stage. Chemical Brothers coheadlined with Pixies at NOS iirc.

If you think that either of those headlining the Pyramid in 2019 (before the tragic end of The Prodigy) is the same as The Killers - stadium headliner and all round massive band - headlining then I'm not sure what else to say except you've clearly chugged a full bottle of PVA glue.

I did mean to type The Cure but managed to have a brain fart and get the wrong 2019 headliner. Not saying they're as big necessarily as The Cure but are much the same - legacy act, great back catalogue and live reputation etc. If they hadn't have played so often they could both feasibly have headlined the Pyramid again at some point since they did, in my opinion. Not saying they could have done it last year necessarily but when Invaders Must Die came out and went huge I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid if they headlined the Pyramid again then. 

Just think that both of those in particular reached a higher level of popularity than Foals, Biffy etc ever have, and their stock never dropped significantly since over a long period of time. Especially when compared to other Pyramid headliners of that era such as Manics, Travis, Ash etc.

Tame Impala definitely peaked with currents but there seems to be this glass ceiling that Kevin Parker can’t pass.

They are a victim of some weird phenomenon. Look outside of Pitchfork, NME, Twitter, Social Media, forum communities etc, go far out into the real world and ask people if they’ve heard of tame impala and most people probably say no.

They are really big on the Internet but I often find that a lot of people have never heard of them. Algorithms are a powerful thing.

Tame Impala can’t sell a gig over 40,000 in the UK. They aren’t as big as some people feel they are. They are popular and celebrated on social media, but social media isn’t the real word.

Its like Arcade Fire. No matter how much they achieve in music spaces, most people have never heard of them.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Lmao both Prodigy and Chems have headlined Pyramid, and I'd have either of those and Tame over any of those latter 5

“LMAO”? Really? 

Prodigy did the Pyramid in 1997-23 years ago-and headlined the Other last time they played (2009). Chemical Brothers headlined the Pyramid in 2000 then headlined the Other in 2004, 2007, 2011 and 2015. They aren’t Pyramid headliners.

Neither are Tame Impala, and what “you’d have” is irrelevant when it comes to assessing the stature of an act and where they’d play.

12 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I enjoyed the previous years when Emily stated and I quote ‘We’ve got some great Other stage headliners, not as good as the pyramid ones, but they’re only a little bit worse’

You can see why she doesn’t bother saying anything when ‘kind of Pyramid level’ gets Chinese Whispered into people thinking there’s a chance of Rage, Stevie Nicks or Guns N Roses.

11 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Feel like I may get some stick for bringing them up again but were 21P ever ruled out? They headline most festivals they play so can see why Emily would say they are pyramid level, and they have a date in Ireland the week of the festival which I know of

Yeah - you probably will get some stick, but its a fair question.  When I originally saw that Dublin date, I thought that looks like a warm up date.  I saw them last year without really knowing any of their stuff and surprisingly really enjoyed it and would def see them again.

As you say, they fit more with what Emily said than some of the other options being proposed.  I think they would be a refreshing alternative to the Biffy / Royal Blood type options

Edited by circus92

8 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Yeah - you probably will get some stick, but its a fair question.  When I originally saw that Dublin date, I thought that looks like a warm up date.  I saw them last year without really knowing any of their stuff and surprisingly really enjoyed it and would def see them again.

As you say, they fit more with what Emily said than some of the other options being proposed.  I think they would be a refreshing alternative to the Biffy / Royal Blood type options

I saw them headline Reading, and I did know a good amount of their songs before hand but had never seen them live, but they put on a great show, which I think would work great on The Other Stage, also I think I remember seen an interview with them where they said they would love to play Glastonbury

6 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I saw them headline Reading, and I did know a good amount of their songs before hand but had never seen them live, but they put on a great show, which I think would work great on The Other Stage, also I think I remember seen an interview with them where they said they would love to play Glastonbury

Yeah it was Reading I saw them at as well - knew about 2 songs beforehand and really wondering why I was bothering to see them as I was very critical of the booking, but ended up really enjoying it.  They really put on a top show.    Prime example of why you should never dismiss anyone without giving them a fair crack.

Would be funny seeing it kicking off on here if they were announced 🤣

1 hour ago, ModBoy said:

Feel like I may get some stick for bringing them up again but were 21P ever ruled out? They headline most festivals they play so can see why Emily would say they are pyramid level, and they have a date in Ireland the week of the festival which I know of

Yeah I remember thinking they were pretty likely when I saw that date too, I think they've just been overlooked really as I can't imagine this forum is particularly keen on them/knows much about them.

25 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah I remember thinking they were pretty likely when I saw that date too, I think they've just been overlooked really as I can't imagine this forum is particularly keen on them/knows much about them.

Never understood the dislike to them, especially on here? Suppose everyone has their own taste...but am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Never understood the dislike to them, especially on here? Suppose everyone has their own taste...but am I missing something?

Suppose they’re just predominantly more a ‘young persons’ act and this forum skews to being slightly older. I enjoy them for what it’s worth.