Other Stage 2020

Matt42

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I really don't get this. Chems are a staple Other headliner, and The Prodigy have done it before too.

Tame Headlined Coachella the same year, one of the biggest bands on planet Earth at the moment, headlined both Coachella and the Other off the back of the 2014 album currents. new album the slow rush releashed feb of this year which has risen their stock again. so I can see how these would be in a different league to the likes of Royal blood/ Biffy

9 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I'd argue that last year's original trio of Tame Impala, Chems and Prodigy would have been the biggest set of Other headliners the festival have ever had, to my knowledge anyway. 

The likes of Royal Blood, Pet Shop Boys, Biffy Clyro etc are all decent bookings to headline but are a bit bog standard. Calvin Harris would certainly qualify as 'Pyramid headliner level'. 

I still think there may be one other big act who would justifiably be a bigger than usual booking. Maybe even Mumford and the lads could go up against Kendrick. I don't think Emily would have said anything about them being 'Pyramid level headliners' unless at least 2 of the 3 could genuinely headline the big pointy one. She doesn't do hyperbole like Michael, and when she said w'ed have some big special guests she meant it, ie booking Aerosmith in a non-headline slot. 

Yeah this where I'm at, that's a crazy stacked trio. I genuinely don't think any of the names that are suggested here could headline pyramid.

12 minutes ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

Tame Headlined Coachella the same year, one of the biggest bands on planet Earth at the moment, headlined both Coachella and the Other off the back of the 2014 album currents. new album the slow rush releashed feb of this year which has risen their stock again. so I can see how these would be in a different league to the likes of Royal blood/ Biffy

Phoenix headlined the John Peel tent the same year they headlined Coachella. Means fuck all.

Tame Impala are not one of the biggest bands on planet Earth at the moment what are you talking about.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Phoenix headlined the John Peel tent the same year they headlined Coachella. Means fuck all.

Tame Impala are not one of the biggest bands on planet Earth at the moment what are you talking about.

subjection and opinion is the reason music is so diverse, get off your high horse sonny jim

• Downvote 1

Emily chooses her words very carefully. This is what she actually said....

“…and then we’ve got our Other Stage headliners, which are amazing,” she said. “I think particularly because it’s the 50th, we’ve got kind of Pyramid level headliners on the Other Stage next year.”

Note the ‘kind of’. Youre looking at acts that could maybe headline the Pyramid at a push but be a fairly small act to get that gig.

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah this where I'm at, that's a crazy stacked trio. I genuinely don't think any of the names that are suggested here could headline pyramid.

Neither could Tame Impala/Prodigy/Chemical Brothers. Certainly not any more likely to headline the Pyramid than PSB/Calvin Harris/Biffy/Foals/Royal Blood

8 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Neither could Tame Impala/Prodigy/Chemical Brothers. Certainly not any more likely to headline the Pyramid than PSB/Calvin Harris/Biffy/Foals/Royal Blood

Lmao both Prodigy and Chems have headlined Pyramid, and I'd have either of those and Tame over any of those latter 5

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah and then they didn't later on in their career. And what does it matter what you'd prefer?

What are we talking about other than preferences and opinions.

All my point is, it feels like a step down from last year in terms of Other Headliners if we get Royal Blood et al, which is disappointing given the 50th and Emily's comments.

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Tbf, Prodigy and Chems have headlined the Pymild, albeit many, many moons ago.

And continually headlined major festivals in the UK and Europe ever since. They could probably still headline the Pyramid, would very much be an uninspired booking but not really much different to The Killers doing it again. They both headlined Rock Werchter and NOS Alive only 4/5 years ago, two of Europe's biggest festivals. They're legends in their field and their positioning at other festivals show that.

They could both probably have headlined the Pyramid again if they had avoided the festival entirely. Instead they've returned as regular headliners on Other and we're probably all the better for it.

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

What are we talking about other than preferences and opinions.

All my point is, it feels like a step down from last year in terms of Other Headliners if we get Royal Blood et al, which is disappointing given the 50th and Emily's comments.

We're talking about stature of the bands, based on their current level of popularity.

It might be a step down in your preferences but how is Emily supposed to comment on what acts MaxPower prefers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

We're talking about stature of the bands, based on their current level of popularity.

It might be a step down in your preferences but how is Emily supposed to comment on what acts MaxPower prefers?

That's honestly not what I've talking about the whole way through this thread so I dunno mate, you're the one that responded to me.

Edit: actually tbf I did say "could headline" in one of my comments, but I did mean "should", so my bad.

Edited by MaxPower

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

And continually headlined major festivals in the UK and Europe ever since. They could probably still headline the Pyramid, would very much be an uninspired booking but not really much different to The Killers doing it again. They both headlined Rock Werchter and NOS Alive only 4/5 years ago, two of Europe's biggest festivals. They're legends in their field and their positioning at other festivals show that.

They could both probably have headlined the Pyramid again if they had avoided the festival entirely. Instead they've returned as regular headliners on Other and we're probably all the better for it.

They get those spots on being dance acts that can close a main stage. Chemical Brothers coheadlined with Pixies at NOS iirc.

If you think that either of those headlining the Pyramid in 2019 (before the tragic end of The Prodigy) is the same as The Killers - stadium headliner and all round massive band - headlining then I'm not sure what else to say except you've clearly chugged a full bottle of PVA glue.

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

That's honestly not what I've talking about the whole way through this thread so I dunno mate, you're the one that responded to me.

Maybe. I'm not sure why anyone would have been arguing about which acts you prefer with you, however.