Other Stage 2020

Matt42

8 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Yeh, one of the biggest electronic acts of all time, a previous headliner and one of the biggest British rock bands of the past couple of decades is majorly poor... *rolls eyes*

i think there’s a serious case of the “I don’t like them so they’re worse” syndrome permeating here.

Mate I’d be all over the Other headliners if those were who they were, never seen PSB’s before but would love to see them and I’ve seen Royal Blood twice and although they were a bit bland live I love their music and would no doubt see them again.

I love those Other headliners, I was just expecting more it really is that simple.

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Mate I’d be all over the Other headliners if those were who they were, never seen PSB’s before but would love to see them and I’ve seen Royal Blood twice and although they were a bit bland live I love their music and would no doubt see them again.

I love those Other headliners, I was just expecting more it really is that simple.

Such as...?

14 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Referring you back to Quark’s bang on summation of the situation... Who would you have that would be realistic and available?

We might all be in for an almighty surprise once the poster comes out, but if it is PSB, Biffy, Foals and/or RB it would be arguably the strongest set of Other Stage headliners ever in terms of stature.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Referring you back to Quark’s bang on summation of the situation... Who would you have that would be realistic and available?

We might all be in for an almighty surprise once the poster comes out, but if it is PSB, Biffy, Foals and/or RB I would be arguably the strongest set of Other Stage headliners ever in terms of stature.

Yea I’m not sure who I’d have instead, but I’m still free to throw in my opinion.

To be completely honest I think hype of the 50th has caught up with me slightly and I’m expecting a bit more than is likely, as I said, I’d love RB, Biffy and PSB’s (not a fan of Foals but I agree they’d be a strong Other headliner) - but, given it’s the 50th, plus the acts already announced, I’m probably setting my expectations a bit higher (and probably too high realistically).

7 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

We might all be in for an almighty surprise once the poster comes out, but if it is PSB, Biffy, Foals and/or RB I would be arguably the strongest set of Other Stage headliners ever in terms of stature.

Honestly it feels like such a step down from last year imo.

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I don't know, I haven't even relayed the rumored names to my Glastonbury group chats because I know it'll disappointment all round.

Although I hate the question "well who would you have who's available then?" because you can be disappointed with the lineup, but still be realistic in the sense of who they actually could have got this time round.

Edited by MaxPower
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Yea I’m not sure who I’d have instead, but I’m still free to throw in my opinion.

To be completely honest I think hype of the 50th has caught up with me slightly and I’m expecting a bit more than is likely, as I said, I’d love RB, Biffy and PSB’s (not a fan of Foals but I agree they’d be a strong Other headliner) - but, given it’s the 50th, plus the acts already announced, I’m probably setting my expectations a bit higher (and probably too high realistically).

Of course you can, this whole place is built on opinions!

I think you've nailed it with the hype thing though, and not just with the 50th.  You'll often see people say that headliners or acts aren't suitable for anniversary/headline/Pyramid Stage/whatever, but when it comes to analysing it a bit it's quite common to see that they don't have an idea of what they actually do want.

My tuppence worth is that because Glastonbury has such a back catalogue of legendary performers over the last 50 years, there's a tendency for the view of that to condense into a single clutch of amazing headliners, and a feeling that every year should have at least 3 absolute top drawer sets. In reality if you go back and look at the lineups year on year, it's incredibly rare to have that in any single year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

My tuppence worth is that because Glastonbury has such a back catalogue of legendary performers over the last 50 years, there's a tendency for the view of that to condense into a single clutch of amazing headliners, and a feeling that every year should have at least 3 absolute top drawer sets. In reality if you go back and look at the lineups year on year, it's incredibly rare to have that in any single year.

Yea I think this nails it really, they’ll be slightly restricted year on year based on who’s touring/releasing new material/around Europe at the right time and a whole range of other things, and it being the 50th doesn’t change that.

I think another thing to consider is the status of the performers now, compared to how they’ll look in 10/20 years, I know people complaining about Taylor Swift headlining (a lot of it based on opinion but still complaining nonetheless), whereas I feel if you got those same people to look back in 10/20 years at this years festival, they wouldn’t argue that the calibre of headliners is well up to scratch.

Also though, I think Emily’s comments on the Other headliners being ‘almost Pyramid level’ adds to people’s expectations.

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Honestly it feels like such a step down from last year imo.

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I don't know, I haven't even relayed the rumored names to my Glastonbury group chats because I know it'll disappointment all round.

Although I hate the question "well who would you have who's available then?" because you can be disappointed with the lineup, but still be realistic in the sense of who they actually could have got this time round.

I’m basically every metric, PSB, Biffy and Foals are all much bigger than C&TQ. I’d argue that all of them are also bigger than Tame Impala, especially in the eyes of more casual music fans. Chemical Brothers are a bit of a special case as friends of the festival, but having said that, the fact they headline the Other Stage every few years takes the shine off it a bit for me.

My questioning of “who would you get otherwise?” was out of genuine interest. Unless there is a real, absolutely golden surprise coming, I can’t really think of three bigger bands who are available, affordable and willing to do it.

4 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I’m basically every metric, PSB, Biffy and Foals are all much bigger than C&TQ. I’d argue that all of them are also bigger than Tame Impala, especially in the eyes of more casual music fans. Chemical Brothers are a bit of a special case as friends of the festival, but having said that, the fact they headline the Other Stage every few years takes the shine off it a bit for me.

My questioning of “who would you get otherwise?” was out of genuine interest. Unless there is a real, absolutely golden surprise coming, I can’t really think of three bigger bands who are available, affordable and willing to do it.

Im pretty sure most of these have already been ruled out, but could any of The Strokes, The Black Keys, Florence & the Machine, Kings of Leon, Green Day, Eric Prydz be options?

1 minute ago, Milkshake said:

Im pretty sure most of these have already been ruled out, but could any of The Strokes, The Black Keys, Florence & the Machine, Kings of Leon, Green Day, Eric Prydz be options?

Strokes are notoriously money hungry, so doubt it.

Black Keys ruled out by dates in the US I believe, and don’t think could be considered bigger than any of the acts being discussed.

Kings Of Leon ruled out by playing other festivals.

pretty sure Green Day’s other dates rule them, but not sure off the top of my head.

Dont think Prydz is an exclusive at Creamfields, so he could be available, but I don’t think his new show is cheap given the production levels, so maybe out of price range.

Florence could be a possibility, but no indication she’s active and it would be a very quick decline from Pyramid headliner.  Also could be seen as a bit of a kick in the teeth demotion given she’s a female headline size act - I can’t see her playing again unless she tops Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. 

Taylor Swift is absolutely collosal, but I still think she's shit.

I think there's a few acts playing festivals this summer that would have been (or could be) amazing gets -  RATM, The Strokes, Tyler The Creator, Childish Gambino, GNR, Stevie Nicks, Frank Ocean.

Now I know a lot of them are probably too big for Other, but I just think any would be much better than what's being discussed in this thread.

I'd personally put the Chems or Tame in with those acts, so that's why I feel any of combo of these names would be disappointment for me and probably anyone I'm going to the festival with.

Edited by MaxPower

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. 

Taylor Swift is absolutely collosal, but I still think she's shit.

That’s personal taste. I thought we were discussing whether they are appropriate headliners. TS is a colossal booking, no doubt about it.

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I think there's a few acts playing festivals this summer that would have been (or could be) amazing gets -  RATM, The Strokes, Tyler The Creator, Childish Gambino, GNR, Stevie Nicks, Frank Ocean.

Now I know a lot of them are probably too big for Other, but I just think any would be much better than what's being discussed in this thread.

I'd personally out the Chems or Tame in with those acts, so that's why I feel any of combo of these names would be disappointment for me and probably anyone I'm going to the festival with.

Avoiding the ones I mentioned above...

RATM are on a money spinning world tour, so not a chance. There’s a reason they’re play R&L. They headline the Pyramid or nothing.

the idea of GnR agreeing to play the Other is absolutely laughable.

Tyler is a possibility and I’d love it, but don’t think he’s necessarily any bigger than those being discussed.

No indication CG is active.

No way whatsoever Frank Ocean would agree you headline the Other.

id love Stevie, but her solo output isn’t exactly of the standard required to warrant that slot, and anybody under the age of 30 will not have a fucking clue who she is, even if they know The Mac.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Strokes are notoriously money hungry, so doubt it.

Black Keys ruled out by dates in the US I believe, and don’t think could be considered bigger than any of the acts being discussed.

Kings Of Leon ruled out by playing other festivals.

pretty sure Green Day’s other dates rule them, but not sure off the top of my head.

Dont think Prydz is an exclusive at Creamfields, so he could be available, but I don’t think his new show is cheap given the production levels, so maybe out of price range.

Florence could be a possibility, but no indication she’s active and it would be a very quick decline from Pyramid headliner.  Also could be seen as a bit of a kick in the teeth demotion given she’s a female headline size act - I can’t see her playing again unless she tops Pyramid.

Thanks for this!

My only thinking with Florence was that she was only really a pyramid headliner by default, but I agree she is probably still too big for other

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think what's a letdown is that, bar the Pet Shop Boys, we're talking about all blokes of a fairly similar age and disposition – again.

But as people have pointed out, the big female acts (Dua Lipa, Lana, Taylor et al) look to be a lock for the Pyramid. That's an inversion from ten years ago when yer Editors and Fratellis were taking top 2/3 slots on both main stages. So it's an improvement, of sorts, even if it's not thrilling per se

Absolutely! I don’t think I’m gonna see any of the proposed Other headliners; and would love it to be more varied and diverse... but it’s not weak by any measure. 

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think what's a letdown is that, bar the Pet Shop Boys, we're talking about all blokes of a fairly similar age and disposition – again.

But as people have pointed out, the big female acts (Dua Lipa, Lana, Taylor et al) look to be a lock for the Pyramid. That's an inversion from ten years ago when yer Editors and Fratellis were taking top 2/3 slots on both main stages. So it's an improvement, of sorts, even if it's not thrilling per se

The recent trend of Other Stage headliners has been quite male though... if tragedy hadn’t struck last year, the last female headliner would have been 2013...

29 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

All of these acts bar Stevie Nicks are pyramid headliners though? Also I’m pretty sure all of those acts (bar Stevie nicks) only accept headlining gigs.

Kind of pyramid level doesn’t mean bona fide festival headliners headlining the other stage. It means slightly bigger than usual other stage headliners.

I'd argue that last year's original trio of Tame Impala, Chems and Prodigy would have been the biggest set of Other headliners the festival have ever had, to my knowledge anyway. 

The likes of Royal Blood, Pet Shop Boys, Biffy Clyro etc are all decent bookings to headline but are a bit bog standard. Calvin Harris would certainly qualify as 'Pyramid headliner level'. 

I still think there may be one other big act who would justifiably be a bigger than usual booking. Maybe even Mumford and the lads could go up against Kendrick. I don't think Emily would have said anything about them being 'Pyramid level headliners' unless at least 2 of the 3 could genuinely headline the big pointy one. She doesn't do hyperbole like Michael, and when she said w'ed have some big special guests she meant it, ie booking Aerosmith in a non-headline slot. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I don't think Emily would have said anything about them being 'Pyramid level headliners' unless at least 2 of the 3 could genuinely headline the big pointy one. She doesn't do hyperbole like Michael,

Yea, let’s say the Other headliners are Royal Blood, Biffy and Pet Shop Boys, where does that put us with regards to the comments Emily made? I can’t remember how many Other headliners she said we’re almost big enough to be Pyramid level, Royal Blood probably aren’t, Biffy are the closest imo but that’s still pushing it, and I’m not too sure about Pet Shop Boy’s?

7 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I'd argue that last year's original trio of Tame Impala, Chems and Prodigy would have been the biggest set of Other headliners the festival have ever had, to my knowledge anyway. 

I really don't get this. Chems are a staple Other headliner, and The Prodigy have done it before too.