Other Stage 2020

Matt42

15 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Surely Grace Jones herself wouldn’t accept any slot that wasn’t headlining. She is Grace Jones after all, last time I seen her on tele she was necking someone on Graham Norton show haha.

Nobody anywhere needs to have 2/3 of their headliners Biffy and Royal Blood.

Grace Jones took a slot below Lauryn Hill at the Downs festival in Bristol last summer, I could easily see her not headlining West Holts.

14 minutes ago, LGH said:

Grace Jones took a slot below Lauryn Hill at the Downs festival in Bristol last summer, I could easily see her not headlining West Holts.

I’ve seen her sub Pulp and MIA, so no reason whatsoever that she wouldn’t agree to play if she wasn’t headlining.

(edit - should have replied to the message suggesting she wouldn’t do anything other than headline. Oh well, we can just feel self satisfied in our collective knowledge otherwise)

Edited by GrumpyRaver

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Biffy or royal blood against Kendrick.  Not really a clash that would cause problems and each stage would get a decent turnout. Of course with west holts, Avalon etc etc there would other clashes, that’s the magnificence of Glastonbury! 

They would fit on Sunday too instead of PSB - I think PSB could do it well as a sub.

24 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Surely Grace Jones herself wouldn’t accept any slot that wasn’t headlining. She is Grace Jones after all, last time I seen her on tele she was necking someone on Graham Norton show haha.

Nobody anywhere needs to have 2/3 of their headliners Biffy and Royal Blood.

Grace Jones supported Jessie J on the second day of Brighton Pride last year. It was an absolute banger (though not family friendly) performance. Would love to see Grace on the farm although I suspect this should be on a West Holts thread.

• Upvote 1

Everyone naming these acts that could potentially play the Other stage, its the 50th year edition of the biggest festival on earth, surely everyone is very disappointed with the names being banded about. royal blood/ biffy clyro? surely this would leave a sour taste in the mouth

• Like 1

Just now, Dazmandingo96 said:

Everyone naming these acts that could potentially play the Other stage, its the 50th year edition of the biggest festival on earth, surely everyone is very disappointed with the names being banded about. royal blood/ biffy clyro? surely this would leave a sour taste in the mouth

What sort of names would you like to see that could reasonably play on the Other? 

1 minute ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

Who do you expect?  Led Zeppelin?

1 minute ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

You're maybe being a little harsh, but yeah I'd take any of last years (Chems, Chris & The Queens and Tame Impala) over any of the names being bandied about here, which is a shame.

Was at 2/3 headliners at Other last year, likely at 0 this year if we're close to they money,

6 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Grace Jones supported Jessie J on the second day of Brighton Pride last year. It was an absolute banger (though not family friendly) performance. Would love to see Grace on the farm although I suspect this should be on a West Holts thread.

I agree - West Holts Headliner

10 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

You're maybe being a little harsh, but yeah I'd take any of last years (Chems, Chris & The Queens and Tame Impala) over any of the names being bandied about here, which is a shame.

Was at 2/3 headliners at Other last year, likely at 0 this year if we're close to they money,

exactly my point. I was at the other stage last year for the majority of subs/ headliners. I believe the names being bounced around are sub par to what previous years have had

14 minutes ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

I agree. Taking into account the quality of the acts announced so far, the fact its the 50th anniversary and Emily's comments about pyramid sized other headliners, to end up with Biffy Clyro, Royal Blood & PSB would be massively underwhelming. 

18 minutes ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

Yea I agree also, given the headliners and legend slot (+Aerosmith) I was expecting a bit more from the Other headliners.

It always comes back to some key questions though:

1. How much do bands care about being part of Glastonbury and the 50th and will they take the secondary stage accordingly?
  2. Who's available or willing to make themselves available?
  3. Will the band play for the fee offered or decide it's not enough for them to get out of bed?

That pretty much covers every conversation we have about this kind of thing, in one form or another.  No festival can force bands to play, and they won't be making unrefusable offers to get bands to play.  Whatever we want it to be and whatever they try to make it, it's not like they have complete unfettered access to an endless catalogue of acts.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Yea I agree also, given the headliners and legend slot (+Aerosmith) I was expecting a bit more from the Other headliners.

Yeh, one of the biggest electronic acts of all time, a previous headliner and one of the biggest British rock bands of the past couple of decades is majorly poor... *rolls eyes*

i think there’s a serious case of the “I don’t like them so they’re worse” syndrome permeating here.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Come on Grace you're better than that.

(feel like I've summoned Bamber to the thread now)