Other Stage 2020

Matt42

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not seen Parasite but want to.

Turned Uncut Gems off after half an hour, was just a barrage of people shouting at each other with a distractingly loud synth soundtrack in the background.

I thought OUATIH was a bloated, self indulgent mess too.

Stick at Uncut Gems. It doesn't stop being a barrage of people shouting at each other, but that's kind of the point, and it only gets better as the film goes on.

Get Parasite watched, best film I've seen in years, really delighted it swept the Oscars.

• Like 1

Saw this forum had become a hot topic, and thought we had some news, but no just people discussing the oscars! FWIW I have only watched 3 of the films, so I would put them in the order

Joker

Hollywood

With regards to Catfish, I am a big fan, all their songs are very similar, but if you like that sound then you're sorted (Which I do), but they do have a great atmosphere live, seen them multiple times, and the crowd is always jumping and going mad, so feel like you have yo enjoy their sound to feel the atmosphere live, I will say however that they are attracting the wrong crowd of young people wanting to start fights and throw bodily fluids

21 minutes ago, mike86 said:

Uncut Gems is a horribly stressful watch. 

I managed about an hour of it last night before I had to turn it off.  I was not in the mood for the amount of stress and anxiety the film was giving me.  That's not to say it was bad but just wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it.

Fortunately I'm nowhere near as stressed now so will give it another go.  I've always enjoyed Adam Sandler's dramatic roles so hopefully I'll enjoy it more this time around

17 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

In my opinion JoJo was good, but not great. 

If we are gonna talk about a film that people are sleeping on, then it's Burning. bait too.

Both great. Steven Yeun just nailing an enigmatic and slightly creepy performance in a whole different language. And not a single award going his way. 

20 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Sorry, realise this thread is already quite derailed, but can I just ask - would you say it's much better to watch this in the cinema than, say, if I could somehow watch it at home?

Yes!! The ratio is very small, probably the smallest I've ever seen and so it could easily be quite hard to watch on a TV, even if you've got a big one. It's also very dark, very loud and expertly utilises subtle changes in light. It is definitely one to see in the cinema and not at home. 

Edit: it was an incredibly intense experience and I think lots of the impact and impressive elements would be lost by watching it at home. 

Edited by Guy Incognito

2 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Sorry, realise this thread is already quite derailed, but can I just ask - would you say it's much better to watch this in the cinema than, say, if I could somehow watch it at home?

I'm a big cinephile, so I outright advocate seeing any film in the cinema rather than at home, if possible. I absolutely think this is something you should see on the big screen regardless though.

Robert Eggers has teamed up again with Mark Korven for the score, and much like his work on The Witch, has already stuck long in the memory. If you've seen The Witch, and/or it's trailers, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The cinematography too is fantastic. The near 1x1 aspect ratio and B&W 35mm are key in creating the feeling of claustrophobia and total isolation. At least for myself, the desperation to escape that rock wouldn't have been half as intense watching from home. Just my take. 

It's a bit tricky to see at the multiplex's tho so you might have to track it down at a Showcase/Everyman or independant cinema.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George1399 said:

Officially my first misquote - Congratulations! 

I've not been to first direct but I've seen them at a variety of venues and the atmosphere has always been electric! My guess here is that they aren't a band you particularly enjoy listening to and so didn't resonate with their performance :)

I wouldn't have bought tickets if i didn't enjoy listening to them. 

I saw them at Sheffield Don Valley a couple of years back and it was outside on a tiny stage, naff weather and it was pretty poor imo, thought I'd give em another chance indoors but i wouldn't but tickets again i don't think. Maybe in venues the size of academy's it'd be better.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ddiamondd over in the Electronic thread claiming Calvin Harris is booked but not for the Other Stage.

Interesting - really can’t picture where else he’d go, and that also takes us back to the drawing board for who’s gonna go up against Macca.

edit: Calvin‘s on Arcadia/Pangea

double edit: actually he might still be doing an Other set.

Edited by FloorFiller