Other Stage 2020

Matt42

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

No but I actually thought we'd had info from people on here putting all three of those in place.

I thought we had info for all three but not any info that said it was those three.

This makes sense in my head. 

Im pretty sure someone hasn’t come forward and said these are the three headliners.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No but I actually thought we'd had info from people on here putting all three of those in place.

Unless I've missed something Calvin Harris comes from random Facebook fella and PSB are just a best guess placement given they've effectively self confirmed a couple of times.

Not sure if there's anything linking Royal Blood rather than dates and common sense putting them there?

EDIT - yeah, what Matt said. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

I'm sure I've posted this interview before but in 2017 she named Royal Blood as future headliners and said “I feel like Biffy Clyro, Katy Perry, The National, The xx, Major Lazer – they’re all bands that could headline really". Obviously that's hyperbole but I'd say Royal Blood and Pet Shop Boys roughly fit within that sort of level, with Calvin Harris being a bit bigger.

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yeah but I dunno, it still doesn't sit quite right. 

I'd argue that Royal Blood are still not quite at "amazing/Pyramid headliner" level as described. PSB are standard Other headliner level. Calvin Harris fits the bill better than the rest but, is he really the kinda act Emily would wax lyrical about? I dunno, like I say I could be wrong but I still think there's something else in this. 

Reckon you're putting to much weight on Emily's words tbh. She was just doing a classic PR jobby. 

Something that I imagine puts the brakes on headline acts on the Other Stage from the off is that big acts lowering their fee and slot demands would generally want to play the legendary main stage rather than just be inside the festival grounds playing second fiddle to a massive act across site. 

The thought of MCR secretly wanting to do Glastonbury and factoring that into their tour is stuck in my mind but I'd still expect them on the Pyramid if they were there.

I'm pretty new to this forum - first year attending the festival too so I'm hoping for some pretty tasty names to be on that poster come April (?)...

Has everyone ruled out Green Day for Sunday, im aware of it being the only day off in 4, but if anyone is nutty enough to do 4 shows on the trot those 3 have gotta be in contention. Flights from Bristol to Dublin were very cheap last i checked and their monday hella mega show is in Dublin. 

Essentially would it be unrealistic to expect anything from Pyramid to Other to a secret set?

51 minutes ago, George1399 said:

I'm pretty new to this forum - first year attending the festival too so I'm hoping for some pretty tasty names to be on that poster come April (?)...

Has everyone ruled out Green Day for Sunday, im aware of it being the only day off in 4, but if anyone is nutty enough to do 4 shows on the trot those 3 have gotta be in contention. Flights from Bristol to Dublin were very cheap last i checked and their monday hella mega show is in Dublin. 

Essentially would it be unrealistic to expect anything from Pyramid to Other to a secret set?

All across their tour they're not doing 3 days ( i think) especially not 4 days. They'd also be headlining the Pyramid (which is Taylor Swift) or Other Stage (which I doubt would happen) as for secret sets, they're normally kept for bands that have a history with the festival. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:22 AM, ghostdancer1 said:

imagine thinking

a) Taylor Swift, one of the biggest acts ion the planet, isn't big enough for the Pyramid

b) Calvin "i shit out no.1 hits for fun" Harris isn't Pyramid level.

c) the Chemical Brothers are edgy.

Hahaha been slated a bit haven't i. Yeah taylor is popular but her music isn't good and the fact festivals are making an effort to make the gender split more 50:50 has definitely influenced her as a booking. Calvin harris is not pyramid material either. He is by far not as big as taylor and as an edm/techno artist, comparable to chems, far more mainstream. The chemical brothers have a special thing with glasto that ch just doesnt have and as far as im aware chems are the only people of their genre to headline the p because of that connection. 

• Downvote 5

19 minutes ago, Isaac LK said:

Hahaha been slated a bit haven't i. Yeah taylor is popular but her music isn't good and the fact festivals are making an effort to make the gender split more 50:50 has definitely influenced her as a booking. Calvin harris is not pyramid material either. He is by far not as big as taylor and as an edm/techno artist, comparable to chems, far more mainstream. The chemical brothers have a special thing with glasto that ch just doesnt have and as far as im aware chems are the only people of their genre to headline the p because of that connection. 

Calvin Harris is bigger than Chemical Brothers on a world wide scale. 

Taylor Swift released one of best pop albums of all time in 1989. I was not a fan of hers until very recently because I dismissed it due to singles and overplayed songs and also a younger distaste for anything 'popular'. Music is also mostly subjective in terms of 'good'. She is one of the biggest artists on the planet that hasn't played the festival and her politics fit in with the ethos of the festival. 

Even if I wasn't a fan of her (take Ed Sheeran for example) I would still have some of the above points as to why its a fantastic booking. 

1 hour ago, Isaac LK said:

I’m certainly no fan of festivals needing a random 50/50 split, however Taylor swift is one of the largest acts in the world, she is clearly there on merit, saying her appearance is influenced by some forced gender split is just plain wrong. By no measure could she be considered not worthy of headlining, she has pretty much passed me by, I won’t be seeing her, but she is clearly headline material.