Other Stage 2020

Matt42

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

we're there already. For the last few years there's been a few events making a thing of their 90s line-up, including events that have started specifically to do the 90s.

Didn't you say/post something before about the trigger point where they stop recieving royalties or something? It coincides at the same point that middle aged people have a bit of freedom and money to indulge in nostalgia. The lesser Britpop bands - Sleeper, Bluetones, Sheds etc have already been milking it. 

4 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Didn't you say/post something before about the trigger point where they stop recieving royalties or something? It coincides at the same point that middle aged people have a bit of freedom and money to indulge in nostalgia. The lesser Britpop bands - Sleeper, Bluetones, Sheds etc have already been milking it. 

I don't think I've ever said it's related to (no more) royalties, because I'm pretty sure they'd still be being paid.

As it happens, the 90s festival I was thinking of in my last post has just announced. And there was me thinking the 80s were bad. :P 
https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/others2020/noughty90s

(obv, the sorts of acts who do the retro fests of any age tend to not have much of an audience of their own)

I do think it's worth recognising the difference between bands like Sleeper and Shed Seven (and I like both of them!) who have split for 15-20 years and subsequently reformed on the nostalgia wave with new albums, and bands like James and Pet Shop Boys who get lumped in the same nostalgia category but have been (relatively) consistently releasing and performing.

Edited by Quark

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think I've ever said it's related to (no more) royalties, because I'm pretty sure they'd still be being paid.

As it happens, the 90s festival I was thinking of in my last post has just announced. And there was me thinking the 80s were bad. :P 

(obv, the sorts of acts who do the retro fests of any age tend to not have much of an audience of their own)

Wow, that's pretty bad!

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

80s bands are the new heritage bands. Not many 60s and 70s bands are around anymore.

We’re not long off 90s bands being heritage acts.

Well firstly, thank you for making me feel even older, Matthew.

And you're spot-on about the 60s acts. I recently attended a Sixties-based event with every act basically like Trigger's broom, ie: the original drummer surrounded by band members not even alive when they were popular. Just goes to show you how much the Rolling Stones are a medical miracle.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

And you're spot-on about the 60s acts. I recently attended a Sixties-based event with every act basically like Trigger's broom, ie: the original drummer surrounded by band members not even alive when they were popular. Just goes to show you how much the Rolling Stones are a medical miracle.

Every time someone smokes a cigarette it adds another hour to Keef's life

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

weird to see Brockie & Det on the same lineup as East17.. the 90's was a strange place

On 1/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, Sasperella said:

Am I the only one who finds the prospect of Calvin Harris somewhat underwhelming? Even though I actually don't mind some of his tunes, I'm just not convinced seem him live would be that amazing. 

And sure they need someone young against Maca, but don't they also need someone "big"? 

We left V festival (don’t judge me) about 15 minutes in to his headline set a few years ago.

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In around 2007/2008 I met a band on the same flight to Germany as me, said they were T.Rex off to a gig. I assumed tribute act but no, no I was told, the genuine T.Rex.

It was indeed the drummer enabling that claim. Don’t think it was the first drummer though.

Edited by John the Moth

23 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I read that as medieval miracle

16 hours ago, ChemicalBrother said:

Underworld subbing Other could work, would be an amazing set as the sun is setting - Other at sunset is possibly my favourite place on earth. They’re playing festivals the 2 weeks leading up to the festival, their last visit went down a storm & I don’t think it’s too soon for a return ? 

I'd struggle to think of an act who need darkness more than Underworld... Not a chance.