Other Stage 2020

Matt42

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not anymore. There used to be a rigid line between medium festival headliners and major ones but it's getting more and more blurry with every festival season. Royal Blood playing these gigs isn't surrendering, they're just getting paid and playing in front of people. And Glastonbury's headliner pool isn't large enough to rule them out in future.

Definitely. Especially as V and T are no more. Not many ‘major’ festivals left.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Not anymore. There used to be a rigid line between medium festival headliners and major ones but it's getting more and more blurry with every festival season. Royal Blood playing these gigs isn't surrendering, they're just getting paid and playing in front of people. And Glastonbury's headliner pool isn't large enough to rule them out in future.

Royal Blood are climbing the mountain, whether they’ll ever make it to the very top I’m not sure. I quite like them but their sound is pretty limited, the next album will be key for them.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Royal Blood are climbing the mountain, whether they’ll ever make it to the very top I’m not sure. I quite like them but their sound is pretty limited, the next album will be key for them.

What do you reckon people’s opinions of them adding a member? I suppose if you do that you’ve got the chance if they losing some of their identity but they could evolve their sound. 

Just now, lukethekid said:

What do you reckon people’s opinions of them adding a member? I suppose if you do that you’ve got the chance if they losing some of their identity but they could evolve their sound. 

Aren’t they like Biffy & have someone off stage play? Please correct me someone, I’ve only seen them a couple of times.

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

Depends what they wanna do with their sound and where they want to take it. Just my opinion but albums 1 and 2 were more or less identical, I mean if you played me a random album track I’d struggle to tell which record it came from. Yet people seem to love them, whether they’d have the same level of love if #3 was just more of the same I’m not so sure.

1 minute ago, Bisque said:

Aren’t they like Biffy & have someone off stage play? Please correct me someone, I’ve only seen them a couple of times.

Well I never knew that, didn’t even know Biffy did that to be honest. I’ve never seen them, listened to them once from outside Castlefield Bowl in Manchester whilst having a bevy before Pixies about 5 years ago and they sounded really good, always thought their sound was tremendous for a 2 piece. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Depends what they wanna do with their sound and where they want to take it. Just my opinion but albums 1 and 2 were more or less identical, I mean if you played me a random album track I’d struggle to tell which record it came from. Yet people seem to love them, whether they’d have the same level of love if #3 was just more of the same I’m not so sure.

Suppose we don’t them turning in to Muse like do we. 

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Well I never knew that, didn’t even know Biffy did that to be honest. I’ve never seen them, listened to them once from outside Castlefield Bowl in Manchester whilst having a bevy before Pixies about 5 years ago and they sounded really good, always thought their sound was tremendous for a 2 piece. 

Biffy have another guitarist called Mike  Vennart,  he’s the one at the side who wears a shirt. 

7 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Well I never knew that, didn’t even know Biffy did that to be honest.

Saw them secret set Glasto, Glasto again but it was rotten & wasn’t paying attention, headlining Reading Last half of their set & miles back & again headlining Leeds which was when the girl I was with told me about the extra guitarist. I wouldn’t have known he was there if she hadn’t pointed him out & even then he wasn’t visible on stage.

SlipKnot did it with their bassist at Sonisphere 2010 but obviously under different circumstances.

13 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

The great Mike Vennart from Oceansize (most underrated band of the century imo) plays with Biffy. Tbh he’s a better guitarist than Simon, but thems the breaks. It’s a good source of income for him at least.

6 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Tame Impala headlined Coachella the same year they played Other. They also absolutely nailed a sub slot back in 2016. They seem to fit into the same void between Other/Pyramid headliner, the same as Foals. They absolutely packed out the stage when they headlined by all accounts. On the other hand as someone pointed out, Royal Blood are being announced as headliners for the same festivals the likes of Two Door Cinema club usually headline.

Chems pack out the Other field every time they play. Both them and Prodigy have headlined the Pyramid previously, if the festival were again short of a Pyramid headliner they could easily fit the bill though clearly circumstances have changed regards the Prodigy. They headline every festival they play at. People have been mentioning PSB playing West Holts, which is a lot more likely than them ever headlining the Pyramid. As for Calvin Harris, when have they ever had a DJ headline the Pyramid? 

Calvin Harris headlined Coachella. He's also bigger than Tame Impala, and arguably far more popular these days than Prodigy or Chems. certainly far bigger than them in the 2010s.

the other 2, I agree with.

PSB are a bit of a novelty legacy act haven't been relevant for 20+ years. I wouldn't be shocked to see them headlining WH, but smaller acts have headlined the Other too.

Royal Blood are probably never going to be as big as they were a few years ago.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Calvin Harris headlined Coachella. He's also bigger than Tame Impala, and arguably far more popular these days than Prodigy or Chems. certainly far bigger than them in the 2010s.

PSB are a bit of a novelty legacy act haven't been relevant for 20+ years. I wouldn't be shocked to see them headlining WH, but smaller acts have headlined the Other too.

Agreed, in my follow up post I did mention that at least Calvin Harris could be considered 'Pyramid headliner level' its just that he's not the sort of act they'll have take that slot. But the other 2 are pretty standard Other sized headliners. I could see Calvin, PSB and an act like The Strokes definitely meeting the 'Pyramid headliner level' criteria. One is a standard sized Other headliner, one is a hugely popular commercial act whose big enough to headline the Pyramid but their act doesn't quite fit and lastly an established international headline band who would easily be able to headline the Pyramid in a normal year.

4 hours ago, jparx said:

The great Mike Vennart from Oceansize (most underrated band of the century imo) plays with Biffy. Tbh he’s a better guitarist than Simon, but thems the breaks. It’s a good source of income for him at least.

That’s it isn’t it, you win some you lose some in life, some get the break and some don’t. Ringo Starr made it as a drummer to be fair. Haven’t saw Biffy since I was about 15/16 when Questions & Answers etc was being released, I’m nearly 32 now, sort of lost track of their career apart from hearing them on the radio every now and then. 

8 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Their new album is on course to be no 1 this week. They must be relevant in some way 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

only oldies buy albums to take it to no.1. The 80s are still relevant and rated to some.

And to others, the 80s were always shit and still are. 

We are no longer in the 80's though. The new Pet Shop Boys album does not sound very 80's to me. Its not exactly drenched in FM synths and gated reverb snares.

I find the whole relevance thing interesting. who decides what is relevant and what is not? 

Surely if a band is selling enough records to make it to no 1, selling out arenas, headlining festivals and getting a prominent spot at the UKs major festival, then surely they are relevant?

The 80's, arguably the most diverse and ground breaking decade for music we have ever had in this country and there are people who think it was shit? As a music fan, even if a particular style of music was not your thing in the 80's, you must have surely been excited by what was happening?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I find the whole relevance thing interesting. who decides what is relevant and what is not? 

one thing I've noticed in the decades I've been sat here is the influence people aged around 40 have on what older acts becomes currently popular.

My guess is that people of around that age move into the more-powerful positions within the media where they get to set the agenda, and the agenda they set is one based on their childhood/youth.

This means that - thankfully - the 80s pap is slowly being abandoned ... but of course the likes of PSBs were strong in the late 80s and into the 90s, so they've got a while to run yet. ;) 

Edited by eFestivals

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

one thing I've noticed in the decades I've been sat here is the influence people aged around 40 have on what older acts becomes currently popular.

My guess is that people of around that age move into the more-powerful positions within the media where they get to set the agenda, and the agenda they set is one based on their childhood/youth.

This means that - thankfully - the 80s pap is slowly being abandoned ... but of course the likes of PSBs were strong in the late 80s and into the 90s, so they've got a while to run yet. ;) 

What do you mean by 80's pap?

I don't know enough about what goes on behind closed doors as far as music goes. You would be far more in the know in regards to such issues.

I just find the issue of relevance interesting. Who decides what is considered relevant and what is the criteria that has to be met.

Ha'penny's worth...

For me there's an element of re-evaluating as I get older, as well as the nostalgia thing.  I know I went from liking stuff, to not really listening to it, to disliking it completely as new stuff comes out, then gradually re-evaluating it and realising that a lot of it was ditched maybe unnecessarily.

There'll be stuff that's always rubbish of course, but there's also a chunk you can look back on with the added experience of years and realise that it does actually stand on its own merits 30 years down the line.

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It’s important that you don’t wallow in the nostalgia for the music you exclusively listened to in your youth. Hopefully the best music of every decade survives, eg from the 70s bands such as led zep are now listened to by all ages whilst the excesses of some progressive bands are consigned to the vinyl in my loft!  So as the decades pass the PSBs, Oasis, Stone Roses etc, if they are still active, will continue to be popular and feature at Glastonbury. The soundtrack of your youth is important but always keep an open mind.  I managed the transformation from ELP to the Sex Pistols! 

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

80s bands are the new heritage bands. Not many 60s and 70s bands are around anymore.

We’re not long off 90s bands being heritage acts.

we're there already. For the last few years there's been a few events making a thing of their 90s line-up, including events that have started specifically to do the 90s.