Other Stage 2020

Matt42

35 minutes ago, Havors said:

If Royal Blood and Calvin Harris play on any stage at any time I would be very very happy. Id take them both over Kendrick Lemar and Taylor Swift any day. 

^^ Me too.  Maybe I just listen to radio 1 for an hour daily.

Can't help but feel that PSB - Royal Blood - Calvin Harris are just ordinary, standard headliners. I'm not expecting to see 3 legacy acts headline but given Emily's comments I'd have expected more.

Last year's original trio of Tame Impala - Prodigy - Chems fits the 'Pyramid level headliners' comment far more than the trio touted for this year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Last year's original trio of Tame Impala - Prodigy - Chems fits the 'Pyramid level headliners' comment far more than the trio touted for this year.

Don't really see how you can end up at that conclusion.

9 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Can't help but feel that PSB - Royal Blood - Calvin Harris are just ordinary, standard headliners. I'm not expecting to see 3 legacy acts headline but given Emily's comments I'd have expected more.

It's certainly a better trio, at least.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Tame Impala headlined Coachella the same year they played Other. They also absolutely nailed a sub slot back in 2016. They seem to fit into the same void between Other/Pyramid headliner, the same as Foals. They absolutely packed out the stage when they headlined by all accounts. On the other hand as someone pointed out, Royal Blood are being announced as headliners for the same festivals the likes of Two Door Cinema club usually headline.

Chems pack out the Other field every time they play. Both them and Prodigy have headlined the Pyramid previously, if the festival were again short of a Pyramid headliner they could easily fit the bill though clearly circumstances have changed regards the Prodigy. They headline every festival they play at. People have been mentioning PSB playing West Holts, which is a lot more likely than them ever headlining the Pyramid. As for Calvin Harris, when have they ever had a DJ headline the Pyramid? 

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Remains to be seen what Royal Blood's standing will be come the festival, but eh... I'd say they're not very far off each other in terms of size. Certainly doesn't warrant Emily's comment hyping them up, and I'm guessing if Calvin is booked then she got a bit carried away with how big of a booking he is. The other two aren't anything to shout about imo.

33 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Worth noting Foals played these fests too, and half the forum has agreed they’re big enough to top the pyramid let alone the other 

But when Foals were announced for them most people said that's the death knell for them ever headlining the Pyramid. Same goes for Royal Blood really, if you're headlining the likes of Y Not when you're 3+ albums in then the Pyramid headline spots have sailed by. 

Royal Blood are certainly big enough to headline the Other, but it's kind of what you'd expect them to be doing at this stage of their career. It's just a bog standard booking and I don't think them or PSB really could be counted as anything other than ordinary Other Stage headliners. At least with Calvin Harris whilst I doubt he'd ever headline the Pyramid he at least is a current, huge name knocking out Number 1 and Top 5 singles fairly regularly.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

But when Foals were announced for them most people said that's the death knell for them ever headlining the Pyramid. Same goes for Royal Blood really, if you're headlining the likes of Y Not when you're 3+ albums in then the Pyramid headline spots have sailed by. 

Not anymore. There used to be a rigid line between medium festival headliners and major ones but it's getting more and more blurry with every festival season. Royal Blood playing these gigs isn't surrendering, they're just getting paid and playing in front of people. And Glastonbury's headliner pool isn't large enough to rule them out in future.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1