Other Stage 2020

Matt42

16 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Gorillaz instead of Calvin Harris woud make it!

Think they're more likely to be up against Taylor or Kendrick if they do play (which seems unlikely to me). Think against Macca it will be someone aimed even more explicitly at the younger 'Radio 1' crowd. I know Gorillaz are more modern than Macca but really they're an early 2000s band.

Saw then at Rock Werchter in 2018 though and they would nail the Other Stage. The cobbled together set in 2010 was enjoyable for me, and great to see half The Clash, Lou Reed and Mark E Smith etc, but get why it didn't entirely work with a more casual Pyramid crowd. Think the current live show would storm the Other Stage.

Am I the only one who finds the prospect of Calvin Harris somewhat underwhelming? Even though I actually don't mind some of his tunes, I'm just not convinced seem him live would be that amazing. 

And sure they need someone young against Maca, but don't they also need someone "big"? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Am I the only one who finds the prospect of Calvin Harris somewhat underwhelming? Even though I actually don't mind some of his tunes, I'm just not convinced seem him live would be that amazing. 

And sure they need someone young against Maca, but don't they also need someone "big"? 

I have no interest in Calvin Harris, which is why he’s perfect for me opposite Macca.

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Calvin Harris is massive though. I agree with your first point, I wouldn't want to see him live either, but he's undoubtedly a huge name and would get a big crowd, even up against Macca. I suppose he hasn't had too many hits (to my knowledge) over the last couple of years but there can't be many artists who have had more big singles than him over the last decade.

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I am not a Calvin Harris fan at all but he is huge. He churns out #1 singles on a monthly basis. He is an artist without critical acclaim, which is why you don’t see him in pitchfork or anything like that. However, he is massive with the largest (but silent) music market out there — The GP.

Calvin Harris is massive to those whose extent of music listening is flicking radio 1 on for an hour or two a day. He doesn’t have any massive albums really because he’s a singles artist.

Aye like others have said, Calvin would be a huge booking if he ends up topping Other, and although I'm hardly a fan you can't deny that he has some big catchy earworm songs. He's become one of those artists who's songs I'll find myself knowing without ever intentionally listening to him, or even knowing that the song is by him. He'd draw a massive crowd, even up against Macca.

30 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I have no idea if I've heard a Calvin Harris song since that Better in the 80s stuff... 

Either way he'd be a huge booking. As long as he's not Sunday it makes very little difference to me though. 

He’s had proper loads of number 1s, isn’t he the highest grossing of musician of the last couple of years or something?