Other Stage 2020

Matt42

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm confused!

Can you give an example of a previous Other Stage headliner that's not been Pyramid non-headliner level?

Depends how far down the Pyramid bill you want to go - but it shouldn't be controversial to say that, for example, if Christine and The Queens had been on the Pyramid that day, they'd not have displaced any of the top 4 acts.

Whereas once upon a time the traditional equivalency was that Pyramid Sub = Other headliner but the overall level has fallen away a bit in recent years.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

"we’ve got kind of Pyramid level headliners on the Other Stage next year"

You have to suspect ‘kind of’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Calvin Harris and Foals would probably fit into that category, ‘kind of’. PSB are a good solid Other headliner but, headlining Hyde Park or not, not a Pyramid headliner.

17 minutes ago, incident said:

Depends how far down the Pyramid bill you want to go - but it shouldn't be controversial to say that, for example, if Christine and The Queens had been on the Pyramid that day, they'd not have displaced any of the top 4 acts.

Whereas once upon a time the traditional equivalency was that Pyramid Sub = Other headliner but the overall level has fallen away a bit in recent years.

People have read far too much into those comments

Think its unfair to say C&TQ would not have at least been Pyramid Sub though, headlined other festivals (ape) and smashed it. Pyramid subs last year could have been displaced easily other than Ezra really, Liam Gallagher maybe but Vampire Weekend?  Absolutely.

8 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

You have to suspect ‘kind of’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Calvin Harris and Foals would probably fit into that category, ‘kind of’. PSB are a good solid Other headliner but, headlining Hyde Park or not, not a Pyramid headliner.

I take what both the Eavis say very lightly but if it is those 3 thats not only strong but very musucally aried and aged varied. 

Edited by chazwwe

33 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I take what both the Eavis say very lightly but if it is those 3 thats not only strong but very musucally aried and aged varied. 

Oh yeah I agree with you, I think it’s excellent. A quality selection. Those with more unrealistic expectations off the back of what Emily said might be disappointed though.

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i guess it depends how you interpret "Pyramid level"

she never said the Other headliners were Pyramid headliner level, she said the "headliners on the Other stage" were "Pyramid level"

ie. maybe she meant they're big enough/mainstream enough to be playing the Pyramid stage.

Do you actually believe this or is it just an exercise in semantic argument?

Everyone headlining the Other are big enough to play the Pyramid, Anne-Marie played the Pyramid last year and I don't know who that is.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Do you actually believe this or is it just an exercise in semantic argument?

Everyone headlining the Other are big enough to play the Pyramid, Anne-Marie played the Pyramid last year and I don't know who that is.

She was the happiest person ever to play the pyramid.  

5 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

There could be a number of other places Calvin Harris could be playing that would be a lot more likely than Glastonbury. It's one I won't be able to buy into whatsoever until it's announced 

I can see him playing Other opposite Macca. Other than that I don’t think he won’t be there at all.

I can’t see R&L having him unless they really are jumping further into another direction to get the younger audience in.

Other than Glasto & R&L I don’t know what festivals are big enough to accommodate both his act & his appeal.

25 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I can see him playing Other opposite Macca. Other than that I don’t think he won’t be there at all.

I can’t see R&L having him unless they really are jumping further into another direction to get the younger audience in.

Other than Glasto & R&L I don’t know what festivals are big enough to accommodate both his act & his appeal.

There always big weekend 

37 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Agreed I suppose that is a festival in a way that it is a festival however limited & Creamfields covering themselves.

Is Big Weekend still free?

Finsbury Park show as an outside idea. Think Big Weekend is nailed on though honestly not really any other fests for him except Glasto.

39 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Agreed I suppose that is a festival in a way that it is a festival however limited & Creamfields covering themselves.

Is Big Weekend still free?

If it wasn’t for the random info that he was doing Saturday vs Macca a few weeks ago I’d agree with you but..... that was said and then weeks later there’s this random dance festival exclusive.  I’d be amazed if he’s not playing now

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Finsbury Park show as an outside idea. Think Big Weekend is nailed on though honestly not really any other fests for him except Glasto.

The only other fest that I would see him play would be Global Gathering that doesn’t exist anymore & that is quite the dance festival. Any London one dayers tend to be dancey or hip hop.

Subbing Iron Maiden at Download it is. They are on about the same time.

9 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

thanks.

if she had said "we’ve got kind of Pyramid headliner level headliners on the Other Stage next year" , then there'd be no doubt about getting enormous acts on the Other stage.

but she didn't, so "Pyramid level" is open to interpretation about their size/appeal, and not necessarily Pyramid headliner size.

PSB are certainly not Pyramid headliners, but they're certainly mainstream and well-known enough to play the Pyramid.

She had to of meant they were huge acts because it would have made no sense to have said anything at all, if it was that interpretation we could have Bjorn again and Craig David headlining the other.

Hopefully not to long until we all know a bit more :)