Other Stage 2020

Matt42

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

The festival's own website.

(to give credit where it's due, @kingcrawler was the one who checked the website)

Thanks, but to be fair it was @Neondrift who first noticed they were busy on Saturday when we both thought they seemed a great shout to play opposite Macca. 

Edited by kingcrawler

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They headlined the Coombe Weekender in Coventry last year. Norwich Sunday Sessions later this year. I don't think they're much of a coup for anyone nowadays.

These announcements must have gone by unnoticed, feels not to long ago i was at Leeds watching them headline..

Edited by TheFullShaboo

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They headlined the Coombe Weekender in Coventry last year. Norwich Sunday Sessions later this year. I don't think they're much of a coup for anyone nowadays.

It’s funny to remember just how huge their comeback was - headlining Reading/Leeds, selling out BST, last minute sub at Glasto... even that album they put out was better than it had any right to be.

Then it all just fizzled out.

13 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

So QOTSA made a surprise return at a benefits gig last night, obviously no tour announced or even rumoured yet, went down well in 2011 against a Beyonce.... Could they do it again? 

Heheh

I don't think so. Despite the charity gig, Josh said around the time of the new TDS that he needed a long rest after the last tour and that Queens wouldn't be touring for as long or releasing as often in the future. Sounds like he's a bit fed up with that side of things and will be working on other projects from his studio, and then there's a fair bit going on in his personal life too that would put aside new music plans.

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Heheh

I don't think so. Despite the charity gig, Josh said around the time of the new TDS that he needed a long rest after the last tour and that Queens wouldn't be touring for as long or releasing as often in the future. Sounds like he's a bit fed up with that side of things and will be working on other projects from his studio, and then there's a fair bit going on in his personal life too that would put aside new music plans.

That is all true, I'm glad you won't let me get my hopes up!😂

He definitely has some sorting out to do, we'll just have to wait and see what Josh wants to do next. 

13 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I think The Libs sold out an Academy tour last year? But I was under the impression they weren't much of a draw anymore - surprised to see them headlining Beni - much less headlining The Other. 

Although I'm not really a fan so probably downplay them. 

I think they still draw a lot of casual people. Against say Kendrick, I think they would pull a decent sized crowd, would be a small other headliner though compared to some of the other names that have been going around. 

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I like them. Answer the question.

Yeah they're just chillin at the moment. Readying their 8th consecutive solid album which is no mean feat. I'm ok with them giving this summer a miss if they deliver more cribsmas later this year.

On a completely different note (I should really throw it in a different post so no one attempts to suggest the 2 bands are on the same level but gotta watch the post count innit) I saw Jet are at Mad Cool, is there anything rulin them out? I know they're a bit lame but I loved their first 2 albums and my mum and dad didn't let me go see them 14 years ago so I've got unfinished business.

3 hours ago, zeppelin said:

I think The Libs sold out an Academy tour last year? But I was under the impression they weren't much of a draw anymore - surprised to see them headlining Beni - much less headlining The Other. 

Although I'm not really a fan so probably downplay them. 

I think they were very much a band of their time, huge hype promoted by the NME and they gained a mythos and cult status as much through their extra curricular activities than their music. 

Fast forward ten years to a bunch of (reasonably) sober blokes approaching middle age and the same allure just isn’t there. Once the initial nostalgia hit wore off after their comeback they have declined.

I reckon I had a great time at the libertines, me and 2 ofy mates polished off a box of wine at (set of the weekend) Run The Jewels before it though so the details are a little hazy.

Since I've had a few drinks and I'm bored shitless on a train I'm gonna launch into an unnecessary explanation of why that RTJ set was so good, it's one of those things where the stars align for everyone's benefit. It had been an awful day of weather but the sun came out as they did, West Holt's is arguably the best of the outdoor stages at Glastonbury and RTJ are such a positive band. Everyone around us was having so much fun, everyone had stupid grins and we were all best mates for an hour or so. Friday evening is perfect as you've got the whole weekend ahead but you also know your way around again and are still relatively fresh. All of that came together to make one of the best hours of all time. I reckon I can confidently say it's the best set I've seen at 8 Glastonbury's (and The bloody Fall played that same weekend!)

Also my mate got kicked out the day before and managed to get back in shortly before it so it was rediculous he was even there but that's another insane story for another time. It's not done justice if not delivered in person.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I reckon Foals and The 1975 are out of contention, to be honest. Foals’ drummer said on a reddit Q&A a couple of months ago that they weren’t booked for Glastonbury. Matt Healy’s also said he’s going as a punter. Guess that could be bull though.

R.E: Foals...did he? Is this new intel? I thought all we had was one of them drunkenly telling someone or other that he hadn't been booked.

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

R.E: Foals...did he? Is this new intel? I thought all we had was one of them drunkenly telling someone or other that he hadn't been booked.

Yeah. The account has been approved by fans as being the man himself. I think it was back in November, but as far as my memory serves me I think that lines up with Emily mentioning having booked bigger Other headliners.

The thing about Yannis drunkenly saying it is defo bollocks imo. The additional info the guy said about Yannis saying they “wanted to headline the Other Stage in 2019/20” doesn’t line up with what he’s said in other interviews about ambitions of headlining the Pyramid. (Or at least I think it was the same guy who said that “info”)