Other Stage 2020

Matt42

Surely the 3 T'Other Stage headliners are going to be bands, or something different to the 3 solo artists on the Pyramid?  Whether they will be Pyramid-type headliners, as Em Eav has suggested, will no doubt be another debate on here when they are announced.  I'm going for:

Elbow

Foals

Snow Patrol

Doesn't quite fit the 50/50 gender split though!

2 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Surely the 3 T'Other Stage headliners are going to be bands, or something different to the 3 solo artists on the Pyramid?  Whether they will be Pyramid-type headliners, as Em Eav has suggested, will no doubt be another debate on here when they are announced.  I'm going for:

Elbow

Foals

Snow Patrol

I reckon that there will be some kind of dance/electronic music act on Other, because there generally is and because there's nothing like that on the Pyramid. 

29 minutes ago, stuie said:

I reckon that there will be some kind of dance/electronic music act on Other, because there generally is and because there's nothing like that on the Pyramid. 

I can see someone like Martin Garrix or one of the many other dance DJ’s taking the slot on the Saturday a la Deadmau5, Skrillex, Chems (not quite the same) have done in the past.

Not saying it will be Martin Garrix but he was pretty decent headlining Sziget last year.

5 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Americans are well into all the bells, whistles and big wooshes of smoke that go with that kind of chronic EDM 

I have it on good authority from some older fellas I know Calvis Harris was a pretty good techno DJ before he went pop and later EDM.

Also not gonna lie I think Deadmau5 for instance has some tunes. One Kiss is also a banger. 

15 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I have it on good authority from some older fellas I know Calvis Harris was a pretty good techno DJ before he went pop and later EDM.

Also not gonna lie I think Deadmau5 for instance has some tunes. One Kiss is also a banger. 

Out of curiosity, How old are you? When Calvin Harris first broke through he was marketed as a trance DJ who had been playing at Cream and Gatecrasher for years. I was well into trance from about 2002. I was a regular at Gatecrasher. I knew people who had never missed a Gatecrasher event since it's inception.

No-one had heard of him. It was a topic of discussion for us at the time.

Deadmau5 - I have seen him play as Testpilot years ago. Playing banging techno and it was brilliant. He brought it back a few years ago and wasn't as good.

I can confirm that David Guetta was once decent too.... a long time ago!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

Out of curiosity, How old are you? When Calvin Harris first broke through he was marketed as a trance DJ who had been playing at Cream and Gatecrasher for years. I was well into trance from about 2002. I was a regular at Gatecrasher. I knew people who had never missed a Gatecrasher event since it's inception.

Deadmau5 - I have seen him play as Testpilot years ago. Playing banging techno and it was brilliant. He brought it back a few years ago and wasn't as good.

Christ this is going to sound so, so tedious...  I’m 28 a good mate of mine is 32 and his best mate does a lot of work for one of the biggest promotors in England runs a lot of nights for DJ’s blah blah anyway a few lads he does nights with went seeing him before he “made it” in Scotland and apparently he was banging. 

They didn’t mention Gatecrasher though that was in Sheffield wasn’t it?

2 hours ago, Padgey said:

Elbow

Foals

Snow Patrol

Snow Patrol have never been big enough for that slot and are now nobodies really. I see them in same pool as Athlete tbh! Elbow are prob past headliner status even for Other but could maybe headline Park or JP?

14 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Christ this is going to sound so, so tedious...  I’m 28 a good mate of mine is 32 and his best mate does a lot of work for one of the biggest promotors in England runs a lot of nights for DJ’s blah blah anyway a few lads he does nights with went seeing him before he “made it” in Scotland and apparently he was banging. 

They didn’t mention Gatecrasher though that was in Sheffield wasn’t it?

Yeah it was.

Maybe his PR company used Crasher and Cream to make it sound more credible at the time?  They were "underground" as in not in the mainstream - but people had heard of them.

I have always assumed he was a PR puppet to be honest. The one time I saw him, he wasn't mixing - but that was well after he "made it". Cheers for the info though as I have always wondered if anyone saw him before he was big.

35 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I can confirm that David Guetta was once decent too.... a long time ago!

There will be plenty around here who would love this 

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Snow Patrol have never been big enough for that slot and are now nobodies really. I see them in same pool as Athlete tbh! 

Nobodies who still sell out arenas and headline festivals, and whose single has had more plays than any other on U.K. radio in the last 20 years. I think they’d get a good sized crowd wherever they play (if they are playing).

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Nobodies who still sell out arenas and headline festivals, and whose single has had more plays than any other on U.K. radio in the last 20 years. I think they’d get a good sized crowd wherever they play (if they are playing).

Tiny crowd at Mad Cool but they were on at a silly time when everyone was getting bevved up in the sun. Most people were sat down watching.

Side note, one of the best gigs I’ve been to was Calvin Harris at Somerset House (& Beach Break Live) when he used to play live. Mr. Hudson was awful.

38 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

RE: The 1975

Wouldn't this lean towards them not playing this year? 

Might be reading too much into it though.

Well he can’t say no if they’re booked, he’s not allowed to say yes either yet.  So a token we’d love too isn’t really leaning to them not playing is it?

With Foals looking unlikely I still think these lads are most likely to be the 'booked for the Other but we'll step up if Macca pulls a fast one again' act. I think they're one of the three and their manager is just being coy.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Will Foals looking unlikely I still think these lads are most likely to be the 'booked for the Other but we'll step up if Macca pulls a fast one again' act. I think they're one of the three and their manager is just being coy.

I reckon you are bang on with that assessment, but there is no way Macca is pulling a fast one this year

I don’t really see why 1975 would take the Other slot this year, but then again same could be said about Tame Impala last year who would probably have had every right to headline the pyramid in the coming years. 

Maybe they just really want to play it and they’re okay with taking an Other headline slot, just after headlining a lot of major European festivals as well as succeeding pretty well at Reading you think naturally they’d hold out for the Pyramid. 

Edited by StevieGed