Other Stage 2020

Matt42

OK so I know that no one asked for this, and certainly no one wanted this but,

I've just watched the full 1975 Reading performance and I'd be absolutely buzzed if they were an other stage headliner. 

I hate the arrogance, and I hate the faux-political bullshit that accompanies them even more, but oh my god they have some tunes. 

I might be a bit drunk, but fuck I reckon it'd be a decent gig. Let the hate begin!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I've just watched the full 1975 Reading performance and I'd be absolutely buzzed if they were an other stage headliner. 

I hate the arrogance, and I hate the faux-political bullshit that accompanies them even more, but oh my god they have some tunes. 

I might be a bit drunk, but fuck I reckon it'd be a decent gig. Let the hate begin!

They were great at Sziget. Crowd was decent but got one or two poor reviews. Reading looked much better.

5 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I know - it seems like they get a lot of hate, particularly on here!  Agree on the arrogance point, but you have to look past that as they have loads of great tunes.

I was at the Reading performance, dead centre about 30 rows back, and it was fucking amazing.  Loads of bangers, amazing atmosphere and great performance. Oh, and their visuals top notch too.

Would love to have seen them on the Pyramid, but reckon they have got really unlucky this year as they would have smashed it.

The Other Stage on Friday night would be perfect this year- would really get the party going, and would provide a great alternative to Kenny.

Edited by circus92

I know nothing about 1975, other than I saw them on the Pyramid whilst waiting for someone else and they were absolutely terrible.

I saw an interview with their lead singer about Horse therapy & his addiction struggles. I didnt find him arrogant at all. I found him to be humble & honest. I'd rather hear him talk than sing / perform.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I know nothing about 1975, other than I saw them on the Pyramid whilst waiting for someone else and they were absolutely terrible.

2014?  They were only getting started and only had one album just out.  Also , afternoon slot did them no favours at all - their natural environment is at night.  

The have improved massively since then  - lots of new bangers, better performances and put on a fantastic show with amazing visuals.  As @Freddyflintstonree suggests - watch the Reading Headline set and you will see the difference - you might be surprised. 

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I saw an interview with their lead singer about Horse therapy & his addiction struggles. I didnt find him arrogant at all. I found him to be humble & honest. I'd rather hear him talk than sing / perform.

Agree on this as well, he is very honest, but that gets him into trouble a lot.

He is very self aware - watch their set closer “The Sound” where they project all the bad reviews onto the screens throughout the whole song.

He does come across as a bit of a dick at times which puts people off - but then again who doesn’t!  Taylor swift also treads that fine line - she doesn’t always put the best foot forward either.

I think it is popular to dismiss them based on earlier performances and bad PR at the time which made it “uncool” to like them. 

On 12/8/2019 at 10:16 AM, dentalplan said:

They have released all their best songs since then.

I disagree. Their Self Titled has the best songs and singles out of their 3 albums. On Iliwys, there are a few good bangers but some of it feels like album tracks, especially during the middle for me. Abiior also has some great songs on it but a lot need to be listened together as an album to be appreciated fully. But there's so many tracks on their self titled that still hold out as some of their best tracks, almost all feel and sound like singles. E.g. Sex, Chocolate, Robbers, Girls.

Sometimes I wish they'd just play the first album in its interity.

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

I disagree. Their Self Titled has the best songs and singles out of their 3 albums. On Iliwys, there are a few good bangers but some of it feels like album tracks, especially during the middle for me. Abiior also has some great songs on it but a lot need to be listened together as an album to be appreciated fully. But there's so many tracks on their self titled that still hold out as some of their best tracks, almost all feel and sound like singles. E.g. Sex, Chocolate, Robbers, Girls.

Sometimes I wish they'd just play the first album in its interity.

The EP stuff, although they never play it, has some of their best songs. I have Haunt/Bed and Medicine up there as two of their best. 

They have came on massively, I remember them in 2016 and they just seemed to get lost on the Other Stage (he did rant on about Brexit too, can’t quite remember what he said though). But I’ve seen them several times since and they’ve gotten better and better each time. Visuals are some of the best I’ve seen.

Would be gutted if they clashed with Kendrick. I am seeing them in Liverpool in February so that definitely sways me towards Kendrick, but think it’ll be a decision to be made on the night.