Other Stage 2020

Matt42

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In previous years there's often been dire predictions that the Other Stage will be way too busy if there's a divisive headliner on the Pyramid - Stormzy, Adele, Kanye.  In reality it never pans out that way.

Whoever predicted Deadmau5 would be way too busy needs to have a word with themselves.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In previous years there's often been dire predictions that the Other Stage will be way too busy if there's a divisive headliner on the Pyramid - Stormzy, Adele, Kanye.  In reality it never pans out that way.

To be fair though, Noel Gallagher is a whole different ball park to New Order or LCD Soundsystem.

You are talking about a bloke who is arguably bigger than all 3 acts that headlined the Pyramid last year.

Noel would be fine on other against someone like Swifty. Does not make sense putting him against Macca and would be stupid putting him against Kendrick.

Noel subbing Kendrick on Pyramid would be better.

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You are talking about a bloke who is arguably bigger than all 3 acts that headlined the Pyramid last year.

Depends what metric you're using. Everyone owns a copy of Morning Glory but not everyone is going to want to spend two hours of their life watching him and his band plod through unloved solo material.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Depends what metric you're using. Everyone owns a copy of Morning Glory but not everyone is going to want to spend two hours of their life watching him and his band plod through unloved solo material.

Tbh I am even suprised he is really in contention for an other headline slot. Id say hes not as big as his brother atm, and he only subbed last year on an arguably weaker year. Definitely wouldnt have him down as a potential pyramid headliner...

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Tbh I am even suprised he is really in contention for an other headline slot. Id say hes not as big as his brother atm, and he only subbed last year on an arguably weaker year. Definitely wouldnt have him down as a potential pyramid headliner...

Noel has headlined his fair share of festivals and due to the Oasis tunes in his setlist I can definitely see why Emily would spin him as a ‘possible Pyramid headliner’ even though he’s clearly not, much like whoever else ends up topping Other. 

He’d be a popular booking, but aye, now  that Liam is doing the rounds Noel has taken second fiddle and isn’t quite the big name he once was so I don’t think him being on Other vs. Kendrick would be a problem at all. Get a big crowd but not stupidly so, although I can imagine a fair few people turning up for the inevitable Oasis run at the end.

30 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I saw that Twenty One Pilots have announced a one off show in Dublin the Thursday of Glastonbury, do we think they are likely now to be an Other Stage headliner (Fingers crossed for them)

*Ducks*

I would like this

Germany the week before and France the week after, so seems possible. No idea bout headline though believe people read too much into Emilys words about headline size acts

Edited by fred quimby

How can Noel not be deemed worthy of headlining the Other Stage. He’s had a number 1 record in the past 3 decades. I think it’s more a question of would he do it? I don’t think he’s played Glastonbury solo (?) as he fancies himself solo as a Pyramid headliner. Not sure he’s big enough to do Pyramid myself but to sub there or headline Other undoubtedly. Stop talking nonsense.

18 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

he was probably bigger a few years ago, people have kind of lost interest in his new stuff now, especially with Liam now putting out new stuff. I'd imagine Liam's star will fade soon too though.

I'd say he's definitely in contention for it if he plays, he's probably bigger with a Glastonbury crowd and has far more well-known songs (including Oasis ones), than plenty of recent Other headliners eg. Christine & the Queens, Alt-J, Boy Better Know, LCD Soundsystem, Jake Bugg plus the various dance ones like deadmau5, Skrillex, Major Lazer, Disclosure....

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

How can Noel not be deemed worthy of headlining the Other Stage. He’s had a number 1 record in the past 3 decades. I think it’s more a question of would he do it? I don’t think he’s played Glastonbury solo (?) as he fancies himself solo as a Pyramid headliner. Not sure he’s big enough to do Pyramid myself but to sub there or headline Other undoubtedly. Stop talking nonsense.

I very much doubt he does, considering the size of festivals he headlines in the UK, and the less-than-headliner slots he takes everywhere else.

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Not implying he wouldnt be able to, but it wouldnt be an especially big booking imo (wouldnt say he is as big as Tame Impala for example). Emily has specifically hyped up this years headliners as "pyramid headliners but on T'Other", which Noel wouldnt fit

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Not implying he wouldnt be able to, but it wouldnt be an especially big booking imo (wouldnt say he is as big as Tame Impala for example). Emily has specifically hyped up this years headliners as "pyramid headliners but on T'Other", which Noel wouldnt fit

I think you’re underestimating how popular he is. I’d say if there’s nothing on you’re into and it’s a bit of a free hit a lot of people would go Noel just to hear his Oasis hits. All the grey sideburns crew be there maybe with their kids or missis.

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I very much doubt he does, considering the size of festivals he headlines in the UK, and the less-than-headliner slots he takes everywhere else.

I bet he does. I bet he’s wondering why he hasn’t already been asked. No way he’s not looked at some recent headliners and gone to himself no way they are bigger or better than me.

All Noel's albums have gone to number 1, wouldn't say his solo career is/has been unsuccessful. It's the popular thing at the moment to dislike him I think. Personally I think Who Built The Moon is the best thing any Oasis member has done since Oasis split, by some distance.

Pyramid sub/Other headliner is where he is at. Personally I hope he subs McCartney so I can get a good spot and stay there but I guess he could sub Kendrick/headline Other Friday/Sunday. He won't be subbing Swift, pretty sure of that

Edited by mufcok
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I think you’re underestimating how popular he is. I’d say if there’s nothing on you’re into and it’s a bit of a free hit a lot of people would go Noel just to hear his Oasis hits. All the grey sideburns crew be there maybe with their kids or missis.

I bet he does. I bet he’s wondering why he hasn’t already been asked. No way he’s not looked at some recent headliners and gone to himself no way they are bigger or better than me.

Again, I refer back to Liam who was subbing and still didnt especially pack out the pyramid from what I heard

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

All Noel's albums have gone to number 1, wouldn't say his solo career is/has been unsuccessful. It's the popular thing at the moment to dislike him I think. Personally I think Who Built The Moon is the best thing any Oasis member has done by Oasis, by some distance.

Pyramid sub/Other headliner is where he is at. Personally I hope he subs McCartney so I can get a good spot and stay there but I guess he could sub Kendrick/headline Other Friday/Sunday. He won't be subbing Swift, pretty sure of that

Couldn't agree more, feel people dislike him and his work now since Liam has started creating music again which has a more similar tone to Oasis that what Noel's songs do

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Again, I refer back to Liam who was subbing and still didnt especially pack out the pyramid from what I heard

His solo stuff is shite though and I’m a big fan. I like Noel’s stuff. I’d put some of his solo songs up there with a lot of Oasis later work. As said above Noel’s last record was good, really good. Soz.

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

8 minutes ago, mufcok said:

All Noel's albums have gone to number 1, wouldn't say his solo career is/has been unsuccessful. It's the popular thing at the moment to dislike him I think. Personally I think Who Built The Moon is the best thing any Oasis member has done since Oasis split, by some distance.

Agree with this. Some of Noel's solo work is great and his current sets are a load of fun. 

I reckon he'd go down better on the Other. The first half of his set is solo stuff, which might be a struggle subbing the Pyramid with the amount of casual fans that will be there. Headlining the Other he will have a more captive audience and it would be a really great set.