Other Stage 2020

Matt42

1 hour ago, swillis89 said:

At all. Said they were hoping to headline Other either 2019 or 2020 but didn't get the call... got offered the secret set quite late as there was no other room for them in either year. He seemed pretty bummed about it.

I'm also bummed out by this! I was really expecting an Other headliner set ?

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Soz but why would Yannis know who all the Other Stage headliners were, especially if they've not been booked. Furthermore, why would he be openly blabbing about it.

Was just typing this same post. Agreed.

Dua Lipa and 1975 would both be huge OS headliners. Dua would def get a big crowd as she appeals to the mass market. As for 1975, they could headline the Pyramid so that's pretty mad. That said even when they played third from top OS a few years ago they probably could've placed higher so there is form for it.

It’s not about size! It’s just a weird place to put her. I’d say she’s probably too big to headline the other stage.

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Christine and the Queens headlined Other stage didn't they? I'd say Dua Lipa is bigger than them

By the way, did anyone catch C&TQ this year? Saw them twice and they were soooo good

Christine isn’t as mainstream as Dua. Dua is an artist under heavy Radio 1 rotation. 

I refuse to believe that Foals, with two new albums under their belts and in the middle of touring those albums, weren’t approached by Glastonbury in some capacity to play, especially after having played a secret set the previous year, and then as has been said, that Yannis would have this knowledge and also be going around telling anybody who’ll listen. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I refuse to believe that Foals, with two new albums under their belts and in the middle of touring those albums, weren’t approached by Glastonbury in some capacity to play, especially after having played a secret set the previous year, and then as has been said, that Yannis would have this knowledge and also be going around telling anybody who’ll listen. 

I’m also intrigued when Yannis had the time to go into all that detail! 

Seems a random thing to mention, oh by the way we wanted to headline the other, these are the headliners, they squeezed us in on the park etc....

Why on earth would they want to headline the other too?! Yes circumstance may put them there but they'd want Pyramid headline spot. 

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just think Dua headlining the Other stage is not quite right. Might have egg on my face if it’s true and she does fit Emily’s hints - but it just seems a weird spot to put someone who will be the face of a lot of the BBC coverage.

She'll be up against Rage Against The Machine who won't allow BBC to film them so she'll get the full coverage. There. Sorted.

• Upvote 2

Dua on the other would be like them putting Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus on the Other. Would just be an odd placing.

Also would be odd for the The 1975 to do it after smashing their headline set at R&L, although I suppose they might agree if they really wanted to be part of the 50th and that was the slot they were offered.

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I refuse to believe that Foals, with two new albums under their belts and in the middle of touring those albums, weren’t approached by Glastonbury in some capacity to play

True but having played 2/3 fests maybe Glasto thought we'll give the people a fucking break...

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dua on the other would be like them putting Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus on the Other. Would just be an odd placing.

Disagree. Katy Perry is pure pop and would be weird on OS but Dua has more of a dancey / rnb / pop vibe. I'm thinking the Calvin Harris, Silk City collabs. Her music is quite dancey. More similar to Major Lazor headlining? Idk but I don't think it would be as out of place as people are imagining...

Edited by jyoung

This info is definitely bollocks though.

1. Dua Lipa, whilst she is definitely big enough for the Other headline slot, would be much better suited to playing on the Pyramid, even if it was 3rd/4th down. It's feasible, but I doubt it would happen.

2. I don't see how Yannis would know about two of the headliners if his band wasn't booked. And if he did, why would he so openly give the information out?

3. Why would he talk about actively wanting to headline the Other Stage this/next year? There's been lots of talk of them headlining the Pyramid, which they've addressed in interviews. They reckon they're big enough and they know they'd smash it. The narrative runs very differently here.

4. I cannot see The 1975 playing Other in 2020 under any circumstances.

5. Pab... no, I won't say it.

The most crucial thing is I don't know where he'd get that info from.

• Upvote 1