Future Headliners

Mr. Snrub

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

FWIW I actually thought the two Everything Not Saved albums were among the best stuff Foals have done. Just seems that too many people have moved on from them. Or not enough people were ever actually there.

I don't think people have moved on, per sé. Just that an act has to keep growing and they hit a ceiling.

Kinda gonna happen to all up-and-coming rock bands now. Like Idles are pretty popular but are they gonna attract anyone who hasn't already heard of them from here on out? Wolf Alice's new songs are going down well with Wolf Alice fans.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

FWIW I actually thought the two Everything Not Saved albums were among the best stuff Foals have done. Just seems that too many people have moved on from them. Or not enough people were ever actually there.

To be honest I’m not sure if releasing a two part record like that did then any favours at all. Part 1 and 2 type deals always seem to struggle. Had they cut some of the guff and released one album of quality tunes, it could have gone down much better.

Just now, dentalplan said:

I don't think people have moved on, per sé. Just that an act has to keep growing and they hit a ceiling.

Kinda gonna happen to all rock bands now. Like Idles are pretty popular but are they gonna attract anyone who hasn't already heard of them from here on out? Wolf Alice's new songs are going down well with Wolf Alice fans.

That’s what I meant by “were enough people ever there?” Its Catch-22 because when a band reaches a certain point and size the only way they’re really grow any bigger is through massive events, such as headlining Glastonbury that attract huge amounts of press and casual viewers. But if they’re not quite big enough to get that chance then they are forever stuck.

Just now, jparx said:

To be honest I’m not sure if releasing a two part record like that did then any favours at all. Part 1 and 2 type deals always seem to struggle. Had they cut some of the guff and released one album of quality tunes, it could have gone down much better.

I'm a strong believer that the success of an album is, more often than not, based on the album before it. What Went Down was big because of the album before, but it was rushed and flabby and I think the lack of lasting impact was why there wasn't an elevated anticipation for the Everything Not Lost.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

That’s what I meant by “were enough people ever there?” Its Catch-22 because when a band reaches a certain point and size the only way they’re really grow any bigger is through massive events, such as headlining Glastonbury that attract huge amounts of press and casual viewers. But if they’re not quite big enough to get that chance then they are forever stuck.

Spot on.

Just now, dentalplan said:

I'm a strong believer that the success of an album is, more often than not, based on the album before it. What Went Down was big because of the album before, but it was rushed and flabby and I think the lack of lasting impact was why there wasn't an elevated anticipation for the Everything Not Lost.

Aye WWD needed to be their big breakthrough album off the back of Holy Fire’s success, and instead it was a bit of a shiter. Taking 4 years to release the follow up certainly didn’t help either as in that time they went from ‘future headliners’ to just a staple of the British music scene.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye WWD needed to be their big breakthrough album off the back of Holy Fire’s success, and instead it was a bit of a shiter. Taking 4 years to release the follow up certainly didn’t help either as in that time they went from ‘future headliners’ to just a staple of the British music scene.

I'm happy because the downtime produced two good albums but yeah, not great for their headline cred in hindsight. But being a staple of a growing mid-sized indie festival scene can actually bring those festivals up to a point where they're prestigious and Glasto-competitors in themselves I guess.

The Black Keys have really interested me recently because they probably reached their peak with Turn Blue but it was a pretty ineffective album. Since then they took five years to record a follow-up that they didn't promote or tour outside of US, and now have released a covers album that they didn't really promote either. I think they just accepted they aren't gonna shoot for stadiums and got out of the rat race.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

Surprised none of you have mentioned The Weeknd. Along with Billie and Taylor, he's the biggest pop artist in the world right now and could easily fit well on his next album cycle.

I think Foals have have no chance now unfortunately unless there's a really acclaimed album with some killer radio singles. I was convinced they'd headline a while back (as were they, I think) but I can see them having to settle into eternal sub/regional festival headliner instead.

I would suggest the Weeknd but there’s one quite weird point that makes sense in my mind but might not make sense in yours.

I have this gut feeling that R&L would really want him, and he’s not played there yet. He’d be a perfect booking for their new crowd and he’s not turned up to headline yet. I imagine the Weeknd is a big bucks big opportunities artist and R&L will pay him what he wants.

I don’t think he’s in a stage of his career where he’s willing to take a dip in his booking fee. He also pulled out of 2013 and hasn’t been booked since so maybe there is bad blood.

I would also guess he doesn’t know what Glastonbury is. Despite being booked before.

Edited by Matt42

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My take on foals is they had been up and coming for about 10 years... and it reached the point where it was questionable whether anything was ‘coming’ at all.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Angsty, angular, shouty post-punk - no matter how well done - is never going to do U2 style numbers.

Problem is the kids aren’t listening to rock anymore. 

The 1975 IMO don’t quite fit into this, as they lean more towards pop than they do to rock. 

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I agree - I also think the days of acts slowly climbing to the top of lineups is gone. 10+ years ago bands would work there way up - but I think know there’s a window you need to hit headline status or it just doesn’t happen now. 

Biffy Clyro IMO were the last British band to fit this trend. They worked there way up to the top of lineups through having a track record, but unfortunately their ability to hold their spot there is doubtful. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I agree - I also think the days of acts slowly climbing to the top of lineups is gone. 10+ years ago bands would work there way up - but I think know there’s a window you need to hit headline status or it just doesn’t happen now. 

Biffy Clyro IMO were the last British band to fit this trend. They worked there way up to the top of lineups through having a track record, but unfortunately their ability to hold their spot there is doubtful. 

To be fair the likes of Biffy, Foals and 1975 have all headlined the other major festivals in this country, as I’m sure the likes of Wolf Alice and Royal Blood will. There’s just one final further step up that they need for Glastonbury, which none of them have been able to make so far.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I would suggest the Weeknd but there’s one quite weird point that makes sense in my mind but might not make sense in yours.

I have this gut feeling that R&L would really want him, and he’s not played there yet. He’d be a perfect booking for their new crowd and he’s not turned up to headline yet. I imagine the Weeknd is a big bucks big opportunities artist and R&L will pay him what he wants.

I don’t think he’s in a stage of his career where he’s willing to take a dip in his booking fee. He also pulled out of 2013 and hasn’t been booked since so maybe there is bad blood.

I would also guess he doesn’t know what Glastonbury is. Despite being booked before.

Completely agree. Feel like it's R&L for him unless Glasto specifically try and woo him. 

Still find it amazing that he's got so big, and I'm absolutely here for it. I remember the tumblr days with that first mixtape dropping, that was such an amazing year for music. 

10 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Royal Blood have hoped that sounding like Justice is this final step and I'll all for it. Get them booked before they deflate into into the ranks of Foals, Biffy, etc.

RB fit right in to the same bracket as all those bands imo in that they’ll probably end up headlining R/L but never make it to the top of Glastonbury. Seem like a perfect Pyramid sub (or OS headliner) but that’s where it’ll stop for them. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

RB fit right in to the same bracket as all those bands imo in that they’ll probably end up headlining R/L but never make it to the top of Glastonbury. Seem like a perfect Pyramid sub (or OS headliner) but that’s where it’ll stop for them. 

Yeah I really enjoyed them on the Pyramid a few years ago, then saw them again at Ally Pally a few months later. An hour of them was great but when it stretched into headline length it really started to drag.

I’m unconvinced they could hold a headline crowd.