Future Headliners

Mr. Snrub

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

Kidding yourself. XX least likely. Royal Blood album a banger. Strokes would be as big (bigger) as a KoL, i.e. clearly big enough. Foals and Wolf Alice have their future in their hands and have the ability to go wherever they want. 

Foals have their futures in their hands? I first saw them in 2006 😂 That ship has sailed mate. 2016 was the chance but they booked Muse, again.

Strokes are probably big enough at a push, but they'll never headline because G won't justify the cost for them to come and play that song they do.

I’m not too sure about Ezra, I think they could convince him to sub again.

Forgot about Lizzo! That’s another one. She was meant to be headlining a few festivals in 2020 so she will soon be headlining festivals when he next album drops.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lizzo / Depeche Mode / Blur 

Personally I would die at this.

11 hours ago, Superscally said:

It definitely is that. It's so hard to write a good guitar track that hasn't been done before, there generally isn't much of a chance to have a rich seam any more, so because radio need something to play, they play whatever, like the fucking shite that we currently endure and will endure in ever decreasing circles of pap. The problem is, the more you listen to something and are told "this is decent" your brain is conditioned to agree. It's a survival mechanism. If anyone is thinking we are currently in a good period for music, I'm made up for you...but...

Festivals are just now looking to the money, which is fair enough, but there is no fucking way George Ezra headlines on merit.

Do you think originality equals popularity? And that Britpop, when guitar music was the culture in the UK, was the height of originality?

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d like to see, as a loose rule, one heritage act, one currently massive act and one act taking their first steps into headlining each year.

The 2019 and 2020 trios were good examples.

Did you consider Kendrick Lamar to be taking his first steps into headlining?

He's headlined a lot of major festivals worldwide.

Edited by dentalplan

Surprised none of you have mentioned The Weeknd. Along with Billie and Taylor, he's the biggest pop artist in the world right now and could easily fit well on his next album cycle.

I think Foals have have no chance now unfortunately unless there's a really acclaimed album with some killer radio singles. I was convinced they'd headline a while back (as were they, I think) but I can see them having to settle into eternal sub/regional festival headliner instead.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Surprised none of you have mentioned The Weeknd. Along with Billie and Taylor, he's the biggest pop artist in the world right now and could easily fit well on his next album cycle.

I think Foals have have no chance now unfortunately unless there's a really acclaimed album with some killer radio singles. I was convinced they'd headline a while back (as were they, I think) but I can see them having to settle into eternal sub/regional festival headliner instead.

Agree on Foals.

The Weeknd has been mentioned, in this thread and the threads of identical purpose. No idea if he'd be interested in any way but would be a belting performance.