Future Headliners

Mr. Snrub

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I can’t place the guy at all. A few years back (not at the height of his fame but certainly not a nobody), he was booked to appear in a little marquee just up the road. It wasn’t a festival, it was literally a tiny street event with a small tent that probably held a hundred people or so. Weird. 

He's just another off the production line we have of earnest young men with guitars who crank out one song that goes absolutely massive. They should set up an hour on the Pyramid where him, Hozier, James Bay, Tom Walker and Tom Odell can each shuffle on, do their song, then shuffle off again.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

If Lewis Capaldi continues on his current trajectory I wouldn't be surprised to see him headline either.

Be interesting to see whether he goes off on the same trajectory as Sheeran and now Ezra, or whether he joins the throng of young men with one song.

8 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Don't mind me, I'm just dropping in to say my annual "Convinced QOTSA would be brilliant Friday night headliners".

They'd be great for sure, I just think the boat has sailed on that one. Plus, is there any need for it now when they could just headline the Other to a more enthusiastic crowd? It's not like they're in that "too big/expensive to not headline, too small to headline" boat like The Strokes.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

That should have happened on Like Clockwork.

That would've been great, Villains is a misstep in my book even though it was probably their most commercially successful album. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

They'd be great for sure, I just think the boat has sailed on that one. Plus, is there any need for it now when they could just headline the Other to a more enthusiastic crowd? It's not like they're in that "too big/expensive to not headline, too small to headline" boat like The Strokes.

Oh yes that's true a very solid Other Stage headliner! I suppose I was thinking along the lines of getting a first time "hard rock" Pyramid headliner that wouldn't break the bank, think they'd fit that bill quite well. But like you say Other stage headliner up against George Ezra or someone along those line would also be sensational.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kalifire said:

I can’t place the guy at all. A few years back (not at the height of his fame but certainly not a nobody), he was booked to appear in a little marquee just up the road. It wasn’t a festival, it was literally a tiny street event with a small tent that probably held a hundred people or so. Weird. 

I think there is a new test - the “Stan” test.

Yes they may be on radio 1 cycles and get thrown in our face at every live event - but do they have stans or super fans?

Who is a Rag N Bone Man fan? I don’t think he has a fan base. Seems like his success has been made off shuffle Spotify playlists and radio stations playing his songs because they are easy filler music. 

I also don’t think he’s got the ‘x factor’ to demand a huge slot. They could get him playing something like 5th / 6th down pyramid and it probably wouldn’t look out of place.

Other pop stars like Ariana, Gaga, Madonna etc may release dud albums but they have strong fanbases. You know if you book them they will bring a crowd. People want to see them regardless of their latest effort.

Edited by Matt42

20 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Wasn't Grande's last album a big dull dud? 

Disagree. Agree it wasn’t her most commercial release but it’s not a bad album. 

Regardless, Ariana has such a big following it doesn’t matter if one album doesn’t hit the mark.

20 hours ago, jparx said:

I’m also concerned how their R&L set will do. Saw them headline it in 2014 and whilst it was my favourite set of the weekend by far the crowd back then was pretty sparse. Can’t imagine what it would be like now.

they are much better headlining other where they are more likely to get the crowd they deserve. 

23 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

Potential future headliners: Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Lizzo, Dave, Billie Eilish, The 1975, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Spice Girls, The XX, Lewis Capaldi, AC/DC, Lady Gaga...

I'd really like to see Glastonbury take more risks with headliners. They are definitely in the position to create new festival headliners and it would be great if we could have one obvious 'bump up' each year alongside 2 more safe or established names.

Stormzy was seen as a gamble by many but it absolutely paid off - a cultural moment that brought Glastonbury to so many people who might not have been interested before.

I'd love to see them give a chance to acts like Wolf Alice, Bicep, Bring Me The Horizon.

But Glasto trying to be a kingmaker doesnt always translate everywhere else in the world. Plenty of uk acts are huge at home then play much smaller places in America whenever they decide to tour here. How did Stormzy go from glasto headliner to a sold out uk arena tour ( pre covid ) to having a tour in the u.s in 2,000 cap venues? If Wolf Alice got to headline theyll still only be a club act outside the uk. I remember seeing Wolf Alice in a 300 person club in the u.s and  they sold out Ally Pally that same tour.

What’s clear is that there’s a big pool of future headliners who are pop/rap acts rather than traditional guitar based bands.

So will any of this lot headline in the next 5 years.....

Foals 
Royal Blood
The XX
Wolf Alice
The Strokes

Just now, nikkic said:

What’s clear is that there’s a big pool of future headliners who are pop/rap acts rather than traditional guitar based bands.

Foals 
Royal Blood
The XX
Wolf Alice
The Strokes

From act to act it’s either “no” or “fuck no”.

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Foals 
Royal Blood
The XX
Wolf Alice
The Strokes

They're all acts the festival could call in a pinch or bump up from a sub slot if they needed to, but would any of them ever be first choice? Probably not.

Guitar based bands will be there but it’ll be Foos, Muse, Coldplay, Arctics and probably Liam fucking Gallagher, all on a five year cycle.

There being more pop acts is to do with how they’re only starting to embrace/be embraced by the festival as attitudes have changed. Not that guitar bands now aren’t big or good enough, they woulda been big enough if it was 2003, just the crowd’s changing.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

But Glasto trying to be a kingmaker doesnt always translate everywhere else in the world. Plenty of uk acts are huge at home then play much smaller places in America whenever they decide to tour here. How did Stormzy go from glasto headliner to a sold out uk arena tour ( pre covid ) to having a tour in the u.s in 2,000 cap venues? If Wolf Alice got to headline theyll still only be a club act outside the uk. I remember seeing Wolf Alice in a 300 person club in the u.s and  they sold out Ally Pally that same tour.

Fair point but it still translates within the UK and so can widen the UK headliner pool at least. Other festivals rely on the big names at the top of the poster to sell tickets and so can take less risks whereas Glastonbury is in a very unique position. They still need a strong lineup to keep people coming back year on year but can definitely drop in one riskier headliner each year to give a boost to bands circling the sub spots.

49 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Foals 
Royal Blood
The XX
Wolf Alice
The Strokes

Of those, Royal Blood are probably closest and could get there eventually, dependent on the next album.

But the others? No chance. Not even as an emergency call up.

53 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Foals 
Royal Blood
The XX
Wolf Alice
The Strokes

Nope

Nope - they could have been on the trajectory but it’s gone

Possibly, depending on future albums. Could be a late replacement type deal.

Nope - and judging from their new singles it doesn’t seem like they’re striving for it either (although I do very much rate their new music!)

Nope

Would The 1975 class as a guitar band? They’re the only one I can see  outside the usual suspects. 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Nope

Nope - they could have been on the trajectory but it’s gone

Possibly, depending on future albums. Could be a late replacement type deal.

Nope - and judging from their new singles it doesn’t seem like they’re striving for it either (although I do very much rate their new music!)

Nope

Would The 1975 class as a guitar band? They’re the only one I can see  outside the usual suspects. 

The 1975 seem to have stalled a little, even pre-COVID, they probably could still do it but it certainly doesn't feel as inevitable as it did a couple of years ago.

George Ezra is probably your next first time guitar headliner.

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The 1975 seem to have stalled a little, even pre-COVID, they probably could still do it but it certainly doesn't feel as inevitable as it did a couple of years ago.

George Ezra is probably your next first time guitar headliner.

This is one I just do not understand AT ALL. His music is so devoid of character for me. 

I absolutely think it will happen though, and he seems a nice guy so fair play to him. 

8 minutes ago, Zacko said:

This is one I just do not understand AT ALL. His music is so devoid of character for me. 

I absolutely think it will happen though, and he seems a nice guy so fair play to him. 

I don’t get it either, but for some reason he’s massive and there’s no reason to think he won’t be getting any smaller on the next album. He’s on the same trajectory as Sheeran.

The massive crowd he got for his sub slot last time was enough to convince me he’s a headliner in waiting.

yes the forecast of future headliners is definitely in the pop/rap/hip hop/ rnb pool rather than the rock band pool.

The truth is we haven’t had a proper band come round in a long time which has grabbed the mainstream attention. The 1975 came close, but I don’t think we’ve had a major new band come around since Mumford & Sons... sadly.

One will come when rock becomes cool again - although I’m not quite sure when that’s going to be. I think we are way off a rock revival from the way things are going. Way more likely to see some rap/hip hop headliners come through than anything else.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, priest17 said:

Bands don't really break through anymore like they used to (this is not a complaint or moan), I can see the pool of headliners that would really excite me drying up. Which is fine, as long as they keep accommodating for me further down the line up.

Or maybe I'm wrong and in 2025 we'll have Black Country New Road, Kamikaze Palm Tree and Tropical Fuck Storm headlining (Ty Segall Legends slot).

Sounds like you need to come to Meredith Festival with me 🙂