The Glastonbury 50 book reviews

Crazyfool01

I got this for christmas as well, it's a good read and there are loads of great photos going right back to the very beginning. I was unaware of most of the festivals history, it's totally mental! Fires, floods, shootings, riots you name it. I enjoyed reading Lars Ulrich's account of the revelation he had when he first attended in 2014, very similar to my own experience in 2016. I've no idea how much it costs and it's probably not the sort of thing id have bought but I'm glad I have it.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

I got this for christmas as well, it's a good read and there are loads of great photos going right back to the very beginning. I was unaware of most of the festivals history, it's totally mental! Fires, floods, shootings, riots you name it. I enjoyed reading Lars Ulrich's account of the revelation he had when he first attended in 2014, very similar to my own experience in 2016. I've no idea how much it costs and it's probably not the sort of thing id have bought but I'm glad I have it.

It reminded me of this article from a few years ago. Whatever people think of Lars, he absolutely gets the festival and this is a beautiful tribute.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/04/read-lars-ulrich-metallica-tribute-eavis-glastonbury

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Preordered the book myself when it was first announced and got a signed copy. I've since had one for my birthday and another this Christmas, and Glastonbury DVD that I bought years ago.

Waiting to catch up with festival friends to find out who hasn't had the book yet - late Christmas presents for them

34 minutes ago, coxy99 said:

So do I thank the boss who brought me a copy for xmas (I already have a signed copy) and say I already have one or do I just sell it on or give it away and not tell her?  

Give it away, give it away now. It's the only way to stop RHCP turning up.

38 minutes ago, coxy99 said:

So do I thank the boss who brought me a copy for xmas (I already have a signed copy) and say I already have one or do I just sell it on or give it away and not tell her?  

Yep the give it away option is a good one I’m sure after all the great reviews on here there should be many happy to pay postage as a minimum ... maybe chuck you a few quid too :) 

I finished the book over the holiday and I can heartily recommend it. The book is an excellent read with Michael and Emily giving a very nice insight into what it means to them and the trials and tribulations of putting on the world's greatest festival. I really enjoyed the contributions of artists and writers too. The book is not just gorgeous to look at but also a fascinating read.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:35 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I was fortunate enough to receive the book as a gift this Christmas. It's a wonderful record of the festival's history and for the first time the realisation hit me that I won't be there in 2020. Even more so than on ticket day this October. What a great book though, if you haven't bought it yet it's so worth it

Completely agree with this, definitely hit me harder that I might not be there having read the book than it did on ticket day (although I did avoid crying after reading the book!). I actually got it for my birthday in November but have been so busy since that I left it to read over some down time at Christmas. Just devoured it. So beautifully written, so many great pictures and so many touching tributes from people that just get it (Lauren Laverne, Guy Garvey and Lars Ulrich stand out). I loved reading about the old days and wishing I could have been there but it was when we got into the 2000s that it really started tugging at my heartstrings as I could recognise so much of the site and stories, lots of "I was there" moments. The book is just wonderful for a Glasto nerd like me and really makes you feel that you're not crazy for being so damn obsessed with those fields :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Completely agree with this, definitely hit me harder that I might not be there having read the book than it did on ticket day (although I did avoid crying after reading the book!). I actually got it for my birthday in November but have been so busy since that I left it to read over some down time at Christmas. Just devoured it. So beautifully written, so many great pictures and so many touching tributes from people that just get it (Lauren Laverne, Guy Garvey and Lars Ulrich stand out). I loved reading about the old days and wishing I could have been there but it was when we got into the 2000s that it really started tugging at my heartstrings as I could recognise so much of the site and stories, lots of "I was there" moments. The book is just wonderful for a Glasto nerd like me and really makes you feel that you're not crazy for being so damn obsessed with those fields :)

Nice post, ZMG. Will you be trying in the resale?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Got to laugh at the three books club.  Mrs c had to put two others off buying me it for Xmas as my son had already bought it for me!  Nice to know that they had been so thoughtful!  It’s a wonderful read! 

Thats how you know you talk about glasto too much!

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

From memory I think you said you aren't? Or did I imagine that?

Yes, that's right. I convinced my GF to get a Sunday ticket (after I'd realised I'd forgotten to register against my new local address), pretty certain that Taylor (her favourite) would be headlining so it would be out of order for me to attempt to get a weekend ticket without her, despite her telling me to go for it. She's a good 'un. 

Currently scouring Europe for the best alternatives for that weekend. At the moment, Awakenings is the favourite but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yes, that's right. I convinced my GF to get a Sunday ticket (after I'd realised I'd forgotten to register against my new local address), pretty certain that Taylor (her favourite) would be headlining so it would be out of order for me to attempt to get a weekend ticket without her, despite her telling me to go for it. She's a good 'un. 

Currently scouring Europe for the best alternatives for that weekend. At the moment, Awakenings is the favourite but we'll see. 

Couldn't you both get weekend tickets still? Or is there no way of ditching the Sunday ticket?

I've kept one eye on the other line-ups too. Always fancied Primavera, but all depends who's playing really. Blue Dot and Green Man also options again.