The Glastonbury 50 book reviews

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Got mine in Brizzle today at Rough Trade, where Emily and Michael were signing them. Absolutely drenched getting there and then had to stand in the rain for about half an hour before getting into the shop. They were signing pretty swiftly so no time for a chat, but both were smiling lots and saying hello. I was wearing my Glastonbury 2011 T-shirt, which Emily approved of! Despite the weather, it was worth it.

IMG_6298.JPG

seems like a few efesters there today ... did you meet anyone else ? the gold and silver signatures look great :) 

42 minutes ago, Friendly Banter said:

Can someone point me to a store that will ship this book to the US?   Currently seeing release days of next year.   I would like to have it now.  Thanks!  

Have you tried amazon UK? I've no experience with them, but I have on a few occasions had items form Amazon US shipped over to the UK.

I was at the Bristol event today as well - I was soaked right through to the bone. But so worth it, Michael and Emily were both as lovely as I imagined them to be.

Reading through the book now and I'd say it's a must for any Glasto fan, with lots of amazing pictures and memoirs of the festival.

I love this quote from Noel Gallagher - my apologies if this has already been posted:

1533173638_WhatsAppImage2019-11-02at20_55_19.thumb.jpeg.406a049e5277b7d7f605c2c7193f3284.jpeg

11 hours ago, Col!n said:

I was at the Bristol event today as well - I was soaked right through to the bone. But so worth it, Michael and Emily were both as lovely as I imagined them to be.

Reading through the book now and I'd say it's a must for any Glasto fan, with lots of amazing pictures and memoirs of the festival.

I love this quote from Noel Gallagher - my apologies if this has already been posted:

1533173638_WhatsAppImage2019-11-02at20_55_19.thumb.jpeg.406a049e5277b7d7f605c2c7193f3284.jpeg

Funny, he seemed to care quite a lot about a headliner in 2008.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Col!n said:

Quite bizarre that Noel would contribute to the book but he’s not played as his solo act before.

Just he enjoy going as a punter that much?

Edited by Matt42

Coming to the end of the book now.

The double page image of Pangea on Pages 294-295 - obviously it’s drawn but I was there a few times and don’t remember seeing that many lights around it. Do we think that’s just a concept image or someone has drawn it from a time when it did actually look like that?

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Coming to the end of the book now.

The double page image of Pangea on Pages 294-295 - obviously it’s drawn but I was there a few times and don’t remember seeing that many lights around it. Do we think that’s just a concept image or someone has drawn it from a time when it did actually look like that?

looks similar I would say 

04-SHOTAWAY-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 4:02 AM, bexj said:

I love this, reading bits, flicking pictures, going back and forwards filling me with warm fuzzy feelings... 

Question though, page 146 refers to the double page photo on the previous pages as being 1997, but theres about 3 good reasons why i dont think it is... Anyone with me? 

It's 1993. The first year that the NME (Other) Stage occupied its current field. Also the only time it faced south. The Jazz World Stage was located in what is now the Greenpeace Field.

I’m afraid I spotted a few other wrongly attributed years:

The Robert Plant photo on the 1992 pages – he didn’t play in 1992. Suspect that is from 1993.

Similarly, the Mark E Smith photo on the 1993 pages must be from 1992.

The wicker man photo on the 1994 pages is from 1992.

And now I feel so terribly mean-spirited. It really is a splendid book regardless of my nit-picking.

Edited by HowdyBoss

Having a mare with this book!

First one from Amazon got left by our front door in the rain and was soaked by the time we got back from a night away.

The replacement has turned up with some sort of residue/glue over the back of it!

Have now ordered from the Book People with the discount code and got it for under a tenner (which helps a bit with the disappointment). Hoping there is no issues with this one before getting a refund from Amazon ?

21 minutes ago, hez said:

Having a mare with this book!

First one from Amazon got left by our front door in the rain and was soaked by the time we got back from a night away.

The replacement has turned up with some sort of residue/glue over the back of it!

Have now ordered from the Book People with the discount code and got it for under a tenner (which helps a bit with the disappointment). Hoping there is no issues with this one before getting a refund from Amazon ?

its worth the wait ... as much of a pain as that must be :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HowdyBoss said:

It's 1993. The first year that the NME (Other) Stage occupied its current field. Also the only time it faced south. The Jazz World Stage was located in what is now the Greenpeace Field.

I’m afraid I spotted a few other wrongly attributed years:

The Robert Plant photo on the 1992 pages – he didn’t play in 1992. Suspect that is from 1993.

Similarly, the Mark E Smith photo on the 1993 pages must be from 1992.

The wicker man photo on the 1994 pages is from 1992.

And now I feel so terribly mean-spirited. It really is a splendid book regardless of my nit-picking.

Amazing!!!  Thank you!!!

i am totally not being nit-picky, I absolutely love the book!!  Interesting you found some other anomalies!!

Had a little read through last night, the book is fantastic. My only thought was maybe they should have waited until after the 50th anniversary festival to release it so we had the full 50 years in the book? Never mind it's still great. I'm devastated I missed out on getting the book signed as they were out of stock and unfortunately they didn't have any signing events up north. 

I'd be tempted to take it down to the festival as i'm bound to see both Michael and Emily whilst working but I don't fancy damaging the book or using up packing space! 

Edited by Doug85

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Had a little read through last night, the book is fantastic. My only thought was maybe they should have waited until after the 50th anniversary festival to release it so we had the full 50 years in the book?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they release a second edition next year to include highlights from the 2020 festival!

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Yeah it does to be fair. Looks incredible. Looking forward to seeing what improvements they’ve made for 2020.

I think it might be  green :) ... just a hunch .... and something that can hang from it in stronger winds ..... a gold arm would also look good :)