The Glastonbury 50 book reviews

Crazyfool01

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

It's going to be one of those books that I will find hard to read, as I know I will not want to come to the end.

For sure. This is the exact issue I’m having now. I read the first half of the book on the night I got it so I’ve purposely slowed down as I really don’t want it to end.

Just now, grilladelphia said:

Woah that is cheap ? Although they’ve been a bit clever with it as I’m sure only the signed edition was £30.

19 hours ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Quandary: I've bought this for my girlfriend for her birthday mid-December. It's currently on my desk at work, still in it's packaging. I want to read it. What do I do?

So I opened it. Aaaaand it's not signed ? Contacting Waterstone's to find out if it can be replaced in time....

Could do with some compensation for this. Perhaps two Glastonbury tickets will appease me.

So I phone Waterstone's and they said they still had a "small amount of stock" left of the signed version, and advised I immediately return the book to the store from which I collected it. I did that and they've cancelled the order (the book I returned went into stock at the local store), and they created a new order and said the correct book should be with me shortly.

So I'd act quick if you have an unsigned book!

They didn't mention whether my old order being cancelled would affect my entry into the ticket draw........

1 minute ago, Benja100 said:

Do you think it is a good idea to take my copy to the festival next year, hope to bump into ME and get it signed then? 

I've only seen him once in his little red truck he was, got a cheer as he drove past.

Could offer him some fudge as a thank you, if I take any this time around

Not really ... it’s a little of the heavy side to be carrying around and far to decent to use as a step .. I’ve only spotted him during the festival once and somehow didn’t see him at the pilton party either ... get to an organised event is your best bet ... they do many around the country and the entrance money usually goes to charity too 

4 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Do you think it is a good idea to take my copy to the festival next year, hope to bump into ME and get it signed then? 

I've only seen him once in his little red truck he was, got a cheer as he drove past.

Could offer him some fudge as a thank you, if I take any this time around

Nope.  The only way you'll stand any chance is by carrying it around with you for the entire fest on the offchance.  It'll be in an absolute dogshit condition by the end of the weekend. My programme always stays in my tent for the weekend, and that looks like a hamster's tried to make a bed out of it by Monday morning.

22 hours ago, Pipine said:

Has anyone got a signed copy that's not actually signed?  Mines turned up with "signed by the author" embossed on the outside but no signatures anywhere to be seen!  Was the signature bit a page stuck in or did they sign a particular page? 

I had exactly the same thing. Phoned Waterstones last night. Got a call today saying that they have put a copy aside for me and to return the current copy. I’ll hopefully get the signed copy in a couple of days

3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Not bothered about it being signed tbh. The Glastonbury Tales one I got is signed. Christ I go to their festival every year I think I'll live with it.

Please tell us more about this "The Glastonbury Tales" book. Is it better than the one this thread is discussing? How did you get a signed copy?

I'm still just flicking through the 50 book. It's just so quotable. I'm half hoping that someone buys me a double for Crimbo so I can go through said spare with a couple of highlighters, highlighting the bits that make me think, "Yes. You totally get it".

I've been really tempted to post some of my favourite bits here, but no. Buy the book.

(I've only just got to the end of the '70s).

3 hours ago, Benja100 said:

I just complained to amazon live chat about paying £20 when thebookpeople have it for £13 and after about 20 mins of pleasant chat the guy finally agreed to give me £6 back! top tip.

Bit of a risk but if you send it recorded with a recorded  bag back included  to hq you reckon they’d sign it? I reckon they would? 

16 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Please tell us more about this "The Glastonbury Tales" book. Is it better than the one this thread is discussing? How did you get a signed copy?

I'm still just flicking through the 50 book. It's just so quotable. I'm half hoping that someone buys me a double for Crimbo so I can go through said spare with a couple of highlighters, highlighting the bits that make me think, "Yes. You totally get it".

I've been really tempted to post some of my favourite bits here, but no. Buy the book.

(I've only just got to the end of the '70s).

This one

http://images.45worlds.com/f/bk/various-authors-glastonbury-festival-tales-bk.jpg

Got mine in Brizzle today at Rough Trade, where Emily and Michael were signing them. Absolutely drenched getting there and then had to stand in the rain for about half an hour before getting into the shop. They were signing pretty swiftly so no time for a chat, but both were smiling lots and saying hello. I was wearing my Glastonbury 2011 T-shirt, which Emily approved of! Despite the weather, it was worth it.

IMG_6298.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2