The Glastonbury 50 book reviews

Crazyfool01

A masterpiece of illumination and grace, like all great works it transforms our understanding of life.  

Starting in the 70s , in Somerset. Glastonbury 50 tells the story of unlikely people whose lives come together during a time of political turmoil. After the days of bleakness there was hope, their circumstances -and their fates- became inextricably linked in ways nobody could have foreseen.

Written with compassion,  humour and insight. Glastonbury 50 is a vivid, richly textured and powerful book by two of the most gifted writers of our time.

The Eavils are master blenders of the picaresque and the tragic...... To say they capture the textures of Glastonbury well and the larger than life characters is to note the least of their achievements.  If anything their success is to make life so much larger. A tough task......Enthralling 

This is the work of geniuses. I cannot do a review without saying so. It should be read by everyone who loves books, win every prize, make its authours millionaires. 

Hope this takes the pressure off of Crazyfool. ?

And for the rest of you there are plenty of pictures ?

Maybe slight plagiarism involved. To counteract any lawsuits I offer my humblest apologies. Like I'm really really sorry. Honest guvnor. ?

Edited by mashedonmud

4 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

A masterpiece of illumination and grace, like all great works it transforms our understanding of life.  

Starting in the 70s , in Somerset. Glastonbury 50 tells the story of unlikely people whose lives come together during a time of political turmoil. After the days of bleakness there was hope, their circumstances -and their fates- became inextricably linked in ways nobody could have foreseen.

Written with compassion,  humour and insight. Glastonbury 50 is a vivid, richly textured and powerful book by two of the most gifted writers of our time.

The Eavils are master blenders of the picaresque and the tragic...... To say they capture the textures of Glastonbury well and the larger than life characters is to note the least of their achievements.  If anything their success is to make life so much larger. A tough task......Enthralling 

This is the work of geniuses. I cannot do a review without saying so. It should be read by everyone who loves books, win every prize, make its authours millionaires. 

Hope this takes the pressure off of Crazyfool. ?

And for the rest of you there are plenty of pictures ?

Maybe slight plagiarism involved. To counteract any lawsuits I offer my humblest apologies. Like I'm really really sorry. Honest guvnor. ?

I have got through 167 pages ... ok I admit lots of pictures ... whilst creating a resale lineup poster and keeping up with efests too ... any they say men can’t multitask :) 

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok well I was hoping at this point we would have had many people with the book in their hands ...thats why I called the thread ...book reviews .... unfortunately we dont seem to have had many receive them today ... or those that have are too busy reading them ... im sure many more will be forthcoming over the next few days ... from better posters in such areas than myself ... something else to look forward too :) 

Waterstones tried to charge a card that I lost a few months ago, despite me calling them to change the card a month ago. Luckily for me they haven’t cancelled the order. 

I sent the Waterstones link to my mum back in June, and said here’s my Christmas present to avoid you having to think of anything to buy me this year.

I’ve been told by my stepdad that a copy is at their house awaiting to be wrapped, for me to then open on Christmas Day. 

I'm 38 years old.

?

Edited by gooner1990
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, a6l6e6x said:

Annoying that I missed out on the signed copy but it should arrive from waterstones tomorrow. Wonder if I win the tickets they'll let me transfer to 2021 since I'm already sorted..

They won't, but I'll take your +1 ? My book is out for delivery as we speak! 

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The book manages to capture a glimpse into what the festival is actually like. When you say to people in the real world after the festival... "its not like you see on TV"

"What do you mean?"

You could give them the book.

I like it a lot.

As a Glastonbury virgin this is good news!

Hopefully arrives today.

11 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Waterstones tried to charge a card that I lost a few months ago, despite me calling them to change the card a month ago. Luckily for me they haven’t cancelled the order. 

Same. Ironically I lost my card on the way home from Glastonbury! It does mean my book will be delayed though :(

10 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I sent the Waterstones link to my mum back in June, and said here’s my Christmas present to avoid you having to think of anything to buy me this year.

I’ve been told by my stepdad that a copy is at their house awaiting to be wrapped, for me to then open on Christmas Day. 

I'm 38 years old.

?

Basically that’s what I did, hinted and hinted to my son that it would be a great gift for Xmas instead of him buying the usual stuff. So it’s due to arrive with him tomorrow. Beginning to think this was a mistake, everyone on here reading and devouring it and here’s me having to wait two months! Desperate to read it.  Wished I had just opted for the usual comedy socks and a tin of quality street and bought the book myself! 

Oh and I am a lot older than 38

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Agh, but the bitter disappointment of previous Christmas Days will now be replaced by one of true joy. That's not to be sneezed at.

That is a very good point but it still doesn’t prevent my jealousy of those who at the moment are sitting reading it!  And I am hypnotically pulled to reading this thread despite trying to avoid it.