Fake Poster....

wilko8

Just now, waltere said:

Considering she's in the music industry very possibly ?

If Foals pass the mum test* then they can headline. End of discussion.

*there was a hefty discussion last year about this time on whether Stormzy was actually big enough to headline.  After many many many pages it turned into people texting their mums to ask if they'd heard of Stormzy, and sharing the responses. Now the litmus test for any headliner suitability :D

26 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Do none of you work?

Please leave Greta alone, they may be derivative of Led Zeppelin but they actually have a couple of really catchy tunes.

they may be?  they may be?

I love Led Zep but I hate every single thing about GVF (as opposed to 90s alt also-rans Greta). And people accuse Queen+ of being a tribute band....

4 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

I’m not ‘not anti fascist’

Antifa are anti fascist in name only, their philosophy about shutting down any debate that they deem disagreeable, is the very essence of fascism. They dress and conduct themselves in a way designed to maximise intimidation.

Why is it such a popular debating technique on here to use ad-hominem arguments, to misrepresent what people have said, and to downvote reasonably made and evidenced points that you just disagree with? If people’s positions were strong they wouldn’t need to resort to it

In that case I look forward to reading your response to Incident's (correct) post.

16 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Riiiiiight and that’s kind of my point. So she mustn’t be scrutinised or challenged as she’s a vulnerable child. And of course we mustn’t question the motives of those who influence her either. Sorry but that’s not the world I live in. YMMV.  And it’s Aspergers by the way. 

Aspergers is a form of autism so at least do your own research you are preaching so much....and I'm very happy I don't live in the world you live in. 

1 minute ago, Benja100 said:

Why would I bother making any effort for you whatsoever after you’ve steamed in here and implied I’m a fascist because I do t like or agree with Antifa, If you think I’m going to spend one second on you and your demanding of answers to questions, when the lions share of points I have made have been ignored, then I’m afraid you’re in for a long wait 

I didnt demand anything of you. I was pointing out that you had feet of clay when it comes to demanding high debating standards from people.

25 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Riiiiiight and that’s kind of my point.

Well, no.  Your point was that as she couldn't answer the question she must be fake, working to script and not using her own thought processes.

Your point wasn't that she's 16, an Aspie, who'd lost her trail of thought under the pressure, in front of the media.

2 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Well it would have to start by thinking about how to stop China burning more coal at any given moment than the rest of the world combined.  Maybe disincentivise them from building 300 further coal fired power stations across the developing world as we speak. Because whilst that’s going on, us in the West giving up a few commercial flights and switching away from beef wouldn’t make any type of impact whatsoever.

I agree with you that it would be great to pressure those Chinese companies to not built those coal power plants they have planned for some developing countries. 

We'd need to apply pressure to both the Chinese government and the developing countries themselves. Ideally show that renewables is best.

I doubt our UK politicians would care much to get involved here. Maybe we could start a global grass roots climate awareness group to try to get the people in those countries really engaged as well?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

The IPCC have asked her to stop spreadif fear and misinformation, what’s your take on that? 

My first thought is citation needed please.

3 minutes ago, selotape said:

I agree with you that it would be great to pressure those Chinese companies to not built those coal power plants they have planned for some developing countries. 

We'd need to apply pressure to both the Chinese government and the developing countries themselves. Ideally show that renewables is best.

I doubt our UK politicians would care much to get involved here. Maybe we could start a global grass roots climate awareness group to try to get the people in those countries really engaged as well?

Great idea!  What shall we call it?  Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

The IPCC have asked her to stop spreadif fear and misinformation, what’s your take on that? 

Can you provide a link to this statement? All I can find is that Greta submitted the report in the states and asked for people to listen to the scientists. 

2 hours ago, Benja100 said:

If she is genuine, and the motivation towards what she is doing comes from within, and she knows a lot about the subject matter, and is very intelligent, all of which have been quoted in this thread, then why can’t she answer a simple ad hoc question? Why does she need a script?

Are you serious? "Why does she need a script?" I'm almost laughing. Unbelievable if that is the hill you're willing to die on... The lengths some people will go to in order to denounce a sixteen year old girl with an interest in preserving the future of the planet. "Hold on a minute, she wants to save the planet but she needs a script?! That's it, the planet will have to wait because I'm not buying it!"

Edited by jyoung

"Ad hominem!" he intelligently postulated, whilst calling his opponents blind idiots spouting a load of old rubbish. 

"Likewise I suggest you do your own research into the opinion of one man in a Finnish-language economics magazine - and certainly not just on the crackpot freesheet of the Falun fucking Gong" he debated, non ad hominemly.

"Incidentally, The Sisterhood venue at Glastonbury is divisive because it's sexist against men", he further ejaculated.

• Upvote 5

I wonder what the venn diagram of people who think Greta doesn’t know what she’s talking about because she’s 16 and people who thought the 15 year old Shamima Begum was a terrorist whom we should lock up and throw away the keys looks like. 

️  ??

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Do your own research before holding strong opinions is my first thought 

Constantly doing my own research. Also willing to learn and be corrected but my search for “IPCC greta thunberg” and “IPCC greta thunberg spreading fear” did not lead me to what you were suggesting it would because you’d not remembered your own research, hence my request for citation.