Fake Poster....

wilko8

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

. Far from her distress at the current climate emergency unfolding before our eyes being limited to her and exploited by her 'anti capitalist' parents it is rather, unfortunately, becoming symptomatic of a wider issue for school children of her age group. There's been stories on TV over here of kids experiencing stress and anxiety due to climate change. This is the reality for these kids who are growing up with more knowledge and anger about the situation than any generation that's come before them. 

Yes. Eco-anxiety and related syndromes are becoming more prevalent. However some of the blame for this has to lie at the feet of XR for repeatedly telling children (and adults) that climate change is going to kill them (and similar expressions).

Climate scientists* repeatedly and publicly advise XR to tone down the rhetoric so it’s more grounded in evidence, but so far they don’t seem to taking the advice. 

*see Richard Betts on Twitter for a recent example of this and the backlash/fallout at Rupert Read’s recent talk to children where he basically said “you have no future” 

As Betts put it: “climate change is serious enough, without needing to make stuff up” 

Just now, caballosblancos said:

Yes. Eco-anxiety and related syndromes are becoming more prevalent. However some of the blame for this has to lie at the feet of XR for repeatedly telling children (and adults) that climate change is going to kill them (and similar expressions).

Climate scientists* repeatedly and publicly advise XR to tone down the rhetoric so it’s more grounded in evidence, but so far they don’t seem to taking the advice. 

*see Richard Betts on Twitter for a recent example of this and the backlash/fallout at Rupert Read’s recent talk to children where he basically said “you have no future” 

As Betts put it: “climate change is serious enough, without needing to make stuff up” 

Welcome to discourse in the post truth age. Name calling and telling lies is more effective than forming rational arguments and looking at actual facts.

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Welcome to discourse in the post truth age. Name calling and telling lies is more effective than forming rational arguments and looking at actual facts.

True. Happily Richard Betts will be at Glasto - as he is every year - so everyone can politely ask him his opinions on XR’s use and mis-use of language 

13 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

True. Happily Richard Betts will be at Glasto - as he is every year - so everyone can politely ask him his opinions on XR’s use and mis-use of language 

I was tagged in on a Twitter post by Richard once and the shite he gets in responses is unbelievable. He does very well to avoid engaging with the swivel eyed loons of the world, I didn't and regretted it almost immediately. 

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I was tagged in on a Twitter post by Richard once and the shite he gets in responses is unbelievable. He does very well to avoid engaging with the swivel eyed loons of the world, I didn't and regretted it almost immediately. 

Haha! He’s an eminently sensible person who does brilliantly at deflecting lunacy of all stripes. He’s also a massive G fan! All round legend imo 

3 hours ago, Benja100 said:

I also have experience of children with Aspergers and autism and can tell you that Greta appears to be highly distressed and anxious at many times when she is paraded in front of the worlds media. I don’t think it is right. Her parents are anti capitalists and she has been chosen specifically due to the fact she has Aspergers and therefore is harder for people to criticise. I think the was she is being exploited is wicked. 

You talk with complete certainty that Greta has been chosen, and used, by anti capitalist forces for their own agenda because she is on the autism spectrum and therefore open to exploitation. This completely disregards accepted accounts that Greta started her activism herself, and started with her trying to influence the behaviour of others, at first closer to home. 

Just because she is on the spectrum doesn’t necessarily mean she is ripe for exploitation. I too have a lot of experience with children like that - someone in my family is autistic. That doesn’t mean he can’t live a normal life with his own views etc. He does tend to view the world in more binary terms though - which could be seen as an attribute if involved in activism.

I don’t see Greta being distressed in front of the world - she may come across as being awkward at times, and if she is a little anxious it’s not surprising, we’d all be bricking it not just to have the world’s media filming our every move, but to have capitalism breathing heavily down our necks. It is rather insulting to suggest she is a puppet being manipulated.

7 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Here is Greta being asked a basic question that she needs to answer without a script or being prepped, as a parent I find it very uncomfortable watching and would not allow my child to be used in this way

Greta has parents who wear Antifa T-shirts, this is a violent anarchist group. Greta is carefully managed by her handler 23 year old Luisa Neubauer  

you can check any of this out on Google and if you think it is a coincidence that someone with Aspergers has been picked then you should read up on the condition, someone has worried her stiff about something to further their own ends, XR are set up by and ostensibly run by the same people who set up RiseUp!, an anti capitalist Marxist group. Source- their own website  

They use and abuse good natured but unthinking people to further their ends which are absolutely not as stated. 

They undermine the climate cause as their appolcolyptic predictions are miles away from the scientific consensus and when we don’t all die by 2025 people will switch off from it. They appear to be ravers and as such also cause normal folk to disconnect

The climate is a serious issue affecting the planet and human life, these people are making the situation worse

Can I ask what do you suggest we do to avoid climate breakdown? What do you think I should do as a member of the general public?

I'm looking to build some positive actions here!

Here is Greta being asked a basic question that she needs to answer without a script or being prepped, as a parent I find it very uncomfortable watching and would not allow my child to be used in this way

Greta has parents who wear Antifa T-shirts, this is a violent anarchist group. Greta is carefully managed by her handler 23 year old Luisa Neubauer  

you can check any of this out on Google and if you think it is a coincidence that someone with Aspergers has been picked then you should read up on the condition, someone has worried her stiff about something to further their own ends, XR are set up by and ostensibly run by the same people who set up RiseUp!, an anti capitalist Marxist group. Source- their own website  

They use and abuse good natured but unthinking people to further their ends which are absolutely not as stated. 

They undermine the climate cause as their appolcolyptic predictions are miles away from the scientific consensus and when we don’t all die by 2025 people will switch off from it. They appear to be ravers and as such also cause normal folk to disconnect

The climate is a serious issue affecting the planet and human life, these people are making the situation worse

so your argument is that an unqualified fundamental Christian, right wing conservative (his doctorate is in music) is shocked that an autistic girl talks better with a script than without one.  wow you really set your research levels low.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

You see someone who’s crumbled when they’ve been asked an off script question. I see a young aspie girl who’s had a mind blank when sitting in front of a room full of media. 

It’s not a difficult question and it’s not one she doesn’t know the answer to so I don’t buy your reasoning.

Or the reasoning of the douchebag who’s video you shared... ya know, the one who’s giving a free trump hat when you buy his set of books. 

1 minute ago, Benja100 said:

Well it would have to start by thinking about how to stop China burning more coal at any given moment than the rest of the world combined.  Maybe disincentivise them from building 300 further coal fired power stations across the developing world as we speak. Because whilst that’s going on, us in the West giving up a few commercial flights and switching away from beef wouldn’t make any type of impact whatsoever.

Yeah @selotape, stop encouraging China to burn all that coal. That would be a start at least. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

so your argument is that an unqualified fundamental Christian, right wing conservative (his doctorate is in music) is shocked that an autistic girl talks better with a script than without one.  wow you really set your research levels low.

Depressing isn't it? We haven't even mentioned that English isn't her first language, and yet one question, out of context of a panel discussion is used to rationalise that she is being used and exploited, for the terrible means of encouraging us to tackle climate change . How nefarious. 

2 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

If she is genuine, and the motivation towards what she is doing comes from within, and she knows a lot about the subject matter, and is very intelligent, all of which have been quoted in this thread, then why can’t she answer a simple ad hoc question? Why does she need a script?

it is almost as if she is a child who has ended up in the spotlight and like most people isn't the most articulate when put on the spot.  

Well it would have to start by thinking about how to stop China burning more coal at any given moment than the rest of the world combined.  Maybe disincentivise them from building 300 further coal fired power stations across the developing world as we speak. Because whilst that’s going on, us in the West giving up a few commercial flights and switching away from beef wouldn’t make any type of impact whatsoever.

yes there are big things that need to be achieved across the globe,  but the argument that there are other people worse than us so why should we do anything is the argument of a toddler.  not to mention western world farming is one of the biggest causes of greenhouse gasses.  a simple look at the figures show that the western world has a long way to go

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-and-other-greenhouse-gas-emissions

9 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

If she is genuine, and the motivation towards what she is doing comes from within, and she knows a lot about the subject matter, and is very intelligent, all of which have been quoted in this thread, then why can’t she answer a simple ad hoc question? Why does she need a script?

She's 16 FFS. I'm sure if you were in front of the worlds media and you were asked an ad hoc question it would take you a bit of time to answer never mind someone of her age and who is autistic. Give her a break. 

4 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Especially if you ignore all the other points I wrote above too such as the parents supporting Antifa, the 23 year old handler who is always close by etc. Just ignore the bits that you can’t explain or don’t fit your arguments that’s best 

parents not saying bad things about an anti fascist group and a 16 year old having someone travel with her while her opera singer (and euro-vision contestant) mother and actor father work.  you think this was the strong parts of your argument?

The t-shirts that Greta and her parents were wearing are just t-shirts, openly available, and do not suggest involvement in violent action.

There is a lot of trolling and hoaxes regarding Greta by those who oppose her, and people fall for it. And for the record, I would hope that most people here are anti-fascist.

5F38A933-CDDF-4359-A719-7D07A1B67070.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

China has lower emissions per person than the EU average, let alone the US rate (which is a better comparison due to similar latitudes). They also invest a shit ton in solar and other renewables (to the point where the largest companies for most renewable technologies is in China). In the grand scheme of things, they are not the issue compared to the EU and especially America (particularlly because we have the resources to make the change, we're just too greedy to do so)